The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's weight rather than size

I come to this thread, like many others, being tired of carting EOS DSLR's to places I don't really need them. I have Canon 1d, 5d and 350d. One alternative is to upgrade my 350d to the current 550d. Another alternative is to go down the G1 route.

Sizewise there is little difference except in the case with the pancake. But it is the weight that is the big difference. On average one is reducing the weight by around 25%.

I may be a bit out on the prices (foregive me) but I think I am accurate on the weights. The three options are listed below:-

Walkabout large aperture
Canon 550 + 35mm f2 £950 640 gms
G1 + 20mm f1.7 £650 485 gms

Kit medium zoom
Canon 550 + 18-55mm f4 £820 740 gms
G1 + 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 £450 575 gms

Wide angle zoom
Canon 550 + 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 £1230 915 gms
G1 + 7-14mm f4 £1200 685 gms

Maybe a 550 is not a good comparison, but I used it as (a) I have something similar and (b) a nearby post mentioned someone who was moving in the reverse direction - namely selling his G kit and moving back to a 550.

Tony

pellicle

Tony, if that was me, I'm contemplating switching my G1 to a E-P or GF to be even lighter on the carry, and going back to EOS 5D (even heavier) for the more brute force stuff which the G1 is a little out gunned for.

Despite me arming my G1 heavily ;-)

sometimes the extras like AF and IS in that sort of gear helps :)

but on your last point:
Wide angle zoom
Canon 550 + 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 £1230 915 gms
G1 + 7-14mm f4 £1200 685 gms
the gaps do narrow ... one could snuggle that down further with the 9-18mm Oly and adaptor (which would also bring down the price)

for my own style I'd like to have that wide kit on a trip as well as something like the 20mm and perhaps a 50mm too

I can make my micro4/3 choice in that lighter with a Pentax 110 50mm

which would also work on the GF making a very shoulder easy solution.

Pellicle,

It was you who mentioned the person who was selling his GH1 / GF-1 / EP-2 to move to the 550D. That was got me thinking.

I had not investigated using a wide angle Oly zoom. Does it retain all the features if I get the right adaptor?

I am keen to force myself back down to wide angle. I had a Hassy Xpan years ago (until it was stolen at London (Thiefrow) Airport. I never replaced it, but the albums of pix I took with it are some of my best travel shots.

Tony

Diane B

I have the Oly ZD 9-18 also plus the MA-1 4/3rds to m4/rds adapter. If I hadn't wanted the adapter for another lens also, I might have considered buying the Panny 7-14 which has proven for many to be a terrific lens but is quite a bit more expensive than the 9-18 plus adapter. Then--there is the m4/3rds Oly 9-18 lens coming along this year. I'm happy with my 9-18 to be truthful. For my 5D I have the option of 12-24, 15-30 or 17-35 but any of those plus body OR something like the 10-22 for the Canon APS-c--will be quite a bit larger and def. quite a bit heavier than the G1/9-18+adapter option. I can also easily shoot with the 9-18 on the GF1, but would usually choose to mount it on the G1.

There is only the one adapter with electrical connections (well, actually 2--one from Panny, one from Oly, but they are basically the same adapter save for color)--the other that I'm aware of is without electrical connections. Yes--my 9-18 AF, but slower than my native m4/3rds, but accurately and for WAZ, that's fine for my needs.

Diane

Diane,

Done some Googling and I am not sure that adaptor is available in the UK.

The lens is within 20gms of the Pany one. I guess the adaptor will make it a bit heavier and longer?

Tony

Diane B

It should be---its the standard MA-1 from Panny--not sure of the Oly number. I believe several here from the UK have it as they use Oly lenses (4/3rds) on their m4/3rds camera. It makes it a bit heavier, not much, a bit longer but not that much.

Found it from Bristol Cameras and from here
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1903072/art/panasonic/dmw-ma1-mount-adapter-for.html I'm in US so don't know any of these and just pulled the first 2 off Google. Probably having the model number helped me MA-1.

Diane

Thanks on the adaptor.

Does anyone find it slows down the focus? I came across a thread, whilst Googling, that suggested it did - but not on a forum I'd ever heard of.

Tony

simonclivehughes

Tony,

The Oly 9-18mm works adequately on the G-series with the MA-1. I just compared it to the 7-14mm for AF speed though and the 7-14 is very quick whereas the 9-18 does a little hunt and then settles on the focus. Noticeably longer, but as I mentioned, no big deal, especially for an ultra-wide.

Cheers,

Diane B

I just thought I would add this. If cost is less of an issue--I'd probably choose the 7-14. In fact, I've considered selling my 9-18 and buying the 7-14, but---I'm not so much a wide angle shooter--I considered my usage of my 12-24 on my 5D for instance--and the fact that I shoot wide more in the range of 18mm (FF FOV) mostly anyhow, the 9-18 is quite good for me for a WAZ The 7-14 seems loved by everyone that has one, but OTOH, the 9-18 is no slouch LOL.

Diane

simonclivehughes

I should probably add that the 9-18mm has filter threads whereas the 7-14mm does not. This may make a difference to you if you want the lens for video work where you will be using Creative Picture Mode and locking the shutter which pretty much necessitates the use of ND filters to get the exposure you want. I've ended up with both lenses, but I bought the Oly first specifically for the filter capability.

Ciao,

Diane,

Cost. In my case it is the difference of buying a G1, the pancake and either the wide Panny or Olly. Not a big percent in the totality. And the objective being to get an easy to carry travel kit. Probably using the wide zoom in daylight and the pancake after dark.

I remind myself that most of the classic National Geographical stuff was done with wide angles. So much more atmosphere. Yes, you need telephotos for safaris and the like - but then I'd not be hoping to use the G1 anyway.

Tony

Thanks Simon about the filters and video.

No. I am from the school who thinks videos should be shot with proper video cameras - and on a tripod PLEASE !!!

Tony

EDIT. Sorry that sounds very agressive. Meant as a jest!

Last edited: