The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any regrets not buying black?

Thanks for the answers so far.

What I was hoping to draw out were experiences where the colour of the camera either helped or hindered the process of getting the right shot.

For example there is a view that a decent sized lens hood suggests 'pro'.

Conversely a pro working with a point and shoot suggests 'harmless amateur'.

Pros ask people to do things for them as that is their job. Amateurs can take anyone's picture as they don't have the wherewithall to publish them. Years ago I was told off, at Sun Valley, by one of Arnie's heavies for taking holiday snaps of him on the ice rink. I was using a 1Ds and a 70-200 zoom. I am sure they'd have totally ignored me if I'd been using my wife's Ricoh.

A scuffed camera creates a different impression to a pristine one. Again the hard nosed pro rather than the yuppy straight out of B&H.

Of course we can all rise above this and say it does not matter - making this whole thread a waste of space. My experience is that the relationship between the photographer and the person being photographed is sensitive and does have an effect on the images obtained - and the look of the tool is a component in the relationship, even if some of you think it inconsequential.

I simply cannot believe that those of you with red or blue G1's have never had a reaction.

Tony

photoSmart42

Started off with a blue G1 for my wife, and she really likes the color (as do I). It's distinctive without being overly dramatic. For my GH1 I went with black because I got a really good deal on a used one (and I don't like the champagne version anyway). No regrets with either choice. My film cameras are a mix of chrome and black for the most part.

kwalsh

I simply cannot believe that those of you with red or blue G1's have never had a reaction.
I have found the sand dunes seem to react to my blue G1 and black Canon about the same :)

Sorry, I don't really shoot people very often at all, and those that I do are people I know who are far more likely to react to me than the color of my camera. So I don't have much of use to offer you.

But I completely understand what you are saying, and I can certainly imagine the different reactions people have based on the camera used. I've often read "people" photographers praising the higher quality compacts like the LX3 or S90 as offering good IQ with a completely different interaction with their subject compared to when a 1Ds+L glass is pointed at them.

For what it is worth, the blue G1 I have is very muted. I'd imagine more of a reaction from some of the wild colored pentax cameras.

Ken

J

JayCee

I have the white with tan handgrip EP1 and I'd sell it in a flash and get an EP2 with the EVF if it was available in the same finish.

jminor

I almost pulled the trigger on a black E-PL1, then at the last minute went for the blue. And I really like it....

[/url][/IMG]

"For what it is worth, the blue G1 I have is very muted."

Agreed. I bought one yesterday via eBay and am pleased with the choice.

The difference is minimal but it makes an already small body look even a bit smaller. Not a big difference - a slight one.

Tony

A

arpoador

A few days after I received my E-P2, early in this year, Panasonic decided to stage a demo/show in the lobby of the building where I work. The "main event" was the big 3D TV at the back, but I went directly to the little booth where they had the G cameras.

That evening, I read a disparaging remark on a (different) forum, where someone had written that the Olympus cameras were "real" cameras, but the Panasonics were "just toys". I replied that I agreed wholeheartedly, really enjoyed my E-P2, and intended to buy my toy in red. :)

When I did buy a Lumix G2, I got it in blue instead. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the indigo blue color. Sometimes, though, I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten it in red.

DavidL

Got the Blue G1 because I liked the colour, bonus was it was cheaper.
Now looking at a Red GH1 body, I don't like that colour but it's £150 cheaper than the black version.

arpoador's message interested me. As posted above my blue one arrrived a couple of days ago. I liked it so much that, out of curiosity, I looked on eBay for red G1 bodies.

That was only yesterday and, as I am about to take a week away from home, I'll not be jumping in immediately.

I would be more than hesitant at buying anything as multi-coloured as those cameras posted a while ago - but I think that Panasonic have produced two quite classy alternatives to black.

No, of course it makes no different to the images. Does it make a difference to how you are perceived as a photographer? I am pretty sure that you'd be treated with some suspicion if you had a red one on your shoulder when you applied for a job with the Press Association.

But would any CEO not treat you seriously if you turned up to take his/her portrait with one? It might turn out to be a bit of a conversation piece and an ice-breaker. As would happen if you turned up with an antique camera using film.

Anyone in the market for a one owner black G1. Location Fulham, London?

Tony