The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C-mount Lens for GF-1 are these RARE or worth it?

B

bigredfisher

I just came across these c-mount lenses on Ebay from this seller. As one is a fast ultrawide and I do not know much about c-mount lenses...can anyone tell me anything they know about these? As the wide angle zoom from panasonic is quite pricey...I think I may be tempted to get an adaptor and try some of these c-mount lenses.
Any info would be helpful!
Lenses here>

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200449488106

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200449485179

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200449490094

Jonas

I've never tried any of these lenses. I doubt they will cover even the main part of the sensor but if you get them for a good price you can have some fun with them. Then again, one never knows.

As with all c-mount lenses...there is some vignetting, but images are VERY tack sharp with this lens.
Even VERY tack sharp... OK.

/Jonas

B

bigredfisher

The one image example for the 8mm shows some vignetting but seems to cover a large area of sensor. Could be cropped square format I think. A 16mm for cheap would be great until I can afford the 7-14 zoom....

Jonas

Maybe you can contact the seller and ask about how he cropped that image. The lens will probably end up selling for very little but it is still annoying buying anything not close to what one thought it was. Also ask for a larger image, tack sharp..., if you need th elens to perform like that.

/Jonas

B

bigredfisher

He sent me an image....UNCROPPED. Looks the same as image example in listing. Iwish I could upload it here so I could get some opinion. I guess i'd have to try to post it somewhere and send link...oh bother..lol.

Jonas

I guess i'd have to try to post it somewhere and send link...oh bother..lol.
You can do that, or just attach it to your post. Is it sharp and you can calculate that you will be happy with the effective focal length, then why not buy and try?

/Jonas

B

bigredfisher

I cant just attach it to post...it asks for url. In any event...looks good...very wide and sharp.

Jonas

So that's how it's done. Thank you Keith.
bigredfisher, you can guess by now I don't have any images in (my?) gallery here...

/Jonas

K

Kewk

My 2 cents:
All of them are worth a try for less than 10 bucks. The seller is a bit full of it so I'd take what he say's with a grain of salt. For example, it is certainly not true that all c-mount lenses vignette and there is no chance that the Wollensak is tack sharp wide open.

The coverage he shows on the 8mm looks awfully big for such a small lens. Looks more like the coverage you'd expect from a 20mm c-mount. Ask for a raw file.

Personally, I've given up on c-mounts wider than 25mm. There seem to be some with decent coverage but they cost more than $10.

B

bigredfisher

HE sent me the raw as well....and it DOES cover the frame as much as in the jpeg. It's the same as jpeg I posted. Ill ask him for the Wollensak and post it.

K

Kewk

Good luck then. They are fun not doubt, but I wouldn't go nuts with the bidding. Let us know how things work out. I'm very curious about the 8mm.

K

Kewk

One more note, the bit about the lens being custom made for a horror shoot deserves an A for creativity, but is probably complete nonsense. Google reveals Opticom make security cameras not custom lenses.

Plus what low budget 16mm horror film would order custom lenses?

apicius9

Coverage is really not bad for a 8mm but you have to decide whether you can live with the distortion. Same with the Wollensak - and as much as I wanted to like the Wollensaks, all the ones I had were not as sharp as I had hoped.

Now, the Nikkor is a different story. I have the 10mm Cine Nkkor and - while vinettig heavily - it is very sharp and excellent quality. This zoom here would make an excellent high quality video lens on a GH-1 in EZ mode with little or no vignetting. A sharp 68-280mm at F2.2, not bad at all if you can live with the smaller file sizes. Maybe I should have kept that to myself and placed a bid ;) Oh, and if you do bid, please don't blame me if I'm wrong, I'm just speculating based on the expereince with my wide Nikkor and what I read elsewhere...

Stefan

apicius9

I'm just randomly picking a c-mount thread...

Can I point to ebay auctions here? Not my own, of course:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290427731373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now, I know nothing about the seller, so please use your own judgment. I just like this lens, it's a nice and very well made long c-mount lens that IMHO has gone on the bay a few times quite a bit under value compared to other c-mounts. The only drawback I can see: It's a metal construction and quite heavy for its size (555g at approx 130mm length) - good German Wertarbeit :) I am a bit biased toward Schneider lenses and c-mounts, so take this with a grain of salt. I just thought maybe somebody is interested.

Stefan