The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G2 same sensor as G1 is disappointing

RichA

I don't care about video or the extra width of the GH1 sensor, but the near extra stop of noise control would have been welcomed. Buying a GH1 and either keeping or selling the 14-140mm lens would seem to be a much better idea than buying a G2.

photoSmart42

The G2 has the same sensor, but a different processor (Venus Engine II). The G2 is advertised to come with ISO up to 6400 from the max 3200 on the G2, so an extra stop of noise control seems to be EXACTLY what you're getting in the G2. The sensor is only one piece of the system - the software algorithms and the processor have a HUGE effect on what the final output is with a given sensor.

Personally I wouldn't discount it until detailed reviews come out comparing the G2 to the G1. I'm guessing people will be pleasantly surprised (or not).

apicius9

I am following this from a safe distance, spent all my money on glass anyway :) I decided to sit this one out, no matter what comes, and wait for the GH1 successor. Except for one-button manual focusing and a little better low light performance, I wouldn't even know what to ask from a new camera. Well, maybe better bracketing and in-camera HDR. And the better ergonomics. I find the G2 great for someone who gets into the system for the first time but not enough of an improvement over my GH1 to spend money on it.

Stefan

V

Vivek

It looks like the Samsung NX will be here in the Netherlands soon (already available from one online outlet as a kit). Once the cam (only or the with its 30mm/2) is available, I will be getting one.

G2- i am not too sure.