The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G2 and legacy 4/3 lens autofocus?

Z

Ziggie

I think I came across someone here mentioning that the Lumix G2 will support autofocus on legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses. Just like current Olympus m4/3 cameras do. Or perhaps I was mistaken. Does anyone have any info confirming this?

photoSmart42

I think I came across someone here mentioning that the Lumix G2 will support autofocus on legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses. Just like current Olympus m4/3 cameras do. Or perhaps I was mistaken. Does anyone have any info confirming this?
Well, the G1/GH1/GF1 support AF on legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses already, so I don't know why the G2 would be any different... See the lens compatibility here.

Diane B

You made me curious--in fact, I thought I had read the same, but I went to the hands on preview at dpreview and found that it doesn't appear to. See here http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg2/page2.asp

Hmmmm---but OTOH---it doesn't list the ZD 9-18 and I do have that lens/adapter and it DOES AF on my G1/GF1--can't imagine that it doesn't AF on the G2, so now I wonder LOL!!

Dragos, I'm guessing he's asking about the 4/3rds lenses that only MF on the Panny m4/3rds bodies but do AF, though slowly as I understand it, on the Oly m4/3rds bodies.

Diane

Z

Ziggie

Yes Diane, you're right. I am thinking of all 4/3 lenses. Much as I like my G1 I wish it could autofocus my 35-100 and 150 Olympus lenses, albeit slowly. If the G2 will do this I may upgrade to it.

Ziggie

Godfrey

I remember a table Godfrey posted, taken from dpnow I think, wait... ... ... here:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14862&page=2

I guess it means we should wait and see. ...
Yes.

Subsequent to that, others posted (from one trade show or another) that they tried various Olympus lenses that were not in the supported list for the G1 on the G2 and it was able to AF with them.

However, I am waiting for the G2 to be at the store so I can test it myself. If the G2 will autofocus all my existing Oly ZD lenses and work with the EC14, that's a sufficient plus to warrant adding one to my kit.

It's a little early yet for the G2 instruction manual to be available on the Panasonic US website. Seems they're usually available from the UK website first.

Last edited: