I know, there is information on tripods and monopods out there already, but I am getting more confused the more I read, so I just wanted to ask here, hope you don't mind:
I have a small and portable Slik tripod that works well enough around the house and is light enough to take with me on occasion. But sometimes it's a bit much and I am wondering whether I would be o.k. with a monopod. I am in awe about how much money one can spend for a stick that holds a camera steady, and then you still need a head Does anybody use monopods here and what are your experiences and recommendations? Here is what I think I need:
- The heaviest it will ever hold is a GH-1 with 250mm Leica Telyt (and I may only use that on a tripod anyway...) or the future Panny 100-300.
- Light would be nice but affordable would be nicer.
- The plentitude of heads really confuses me. What I want is a quick release and the ability for vertical portrait shots. What else would one need and why?
- I am a touch over 6" and would love to be able to extend it so that I don't have to bend down too much.
- Folded length should be short enough to take it on an airplane although I usually throw it into the checked luggage (and being large, I have large suitcases ).
Not sure what else I should pay attention to. Any tips are welcome,