The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minox 35 lens conversion.

In the mid 70's I bought a new Minox 35 EL for my travel camera, great photos from this tiny camera but was wondering how it would hold up by today's digital standards.

I picked up a dead Minox EL on ebay for $9 and mounted the lens on my G1 body cap. I compared this lens to my M.Zuiko kit lens with them both wide open (f2.8 for the Minox and f5.1 for the Zuiko) the Zuiko is a bit sharper with more contrast. With them both at f5.1 sharpness is about the same with the Zuiko having a bit more contrast and the Minox a bit soft in the extreme corner. (note: test photo is a 50% crop)

This will make a fun walk around lens I like this 70mm equivalent focal length and I don't think this lens will intimidate anyone.

V

Vivek

Nice stuff, Tim.

I have not got around to doing anything with my Minoxes (no longer used).

A hood (minox push on rubber hood) would help.

The only reservation I have about the color Minotar is the weird shaped twin bladed diaphram.

BTW, comparing this lens (or any manual focus lens) without added corrections to the electronic lenses of the m4/3rds does not make a whole lot of sense. Tweak the contrast, light fall off, CA, etc as you please. :)

I'm not seeing any light fall off just a little smearing in the extreme corners. The diaphragm is just two blades so it forms a diamond shape stopped down. I'll try a get some real world shots up (I just finished the conversion today) but so far it's looking really good. Thanks for the tip on the push on hood, didn't know about that.

tm

Nice stuff, Tim.

I have not got around to doing anything with my Minoxes (no longer used).

A hood (minox push on rubber hood) would help.

The only reservation I have about the color Minotar is the weird shaped twin bladed diaphram.

BTW, comparing this lens (or any manual focus lens) without added corrections to the electronic lenses of the m4/3rds does not make a whole lot of sense. Tweak the contrast, light fall off, CA, etc as you please. :)

V

Vivek

Tim, There was an integrated UV filter plus hood and a 2X ND filter plus hood.

There was also a superb achromatic diopter (no hood on this one) made for the Minoxes.