The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shoot W/O Lens question.

T

tripper

I did a search but found no answer.

When 'Shoot w/o Lens' is on, (shooting with non OEM lens etc) I have just been reading that it can be left 'On' all the time. Even if swapping between legacy & OEM lens. Does this switch off the electrical contacts between lens & body ? I am thinking there must be some 'dialogue' between lens and body with dedicated lens such as the menu reporting O.I.S on or off. What about using flash both internal & external TTL metering etc. Can someone enlighten me please ?

tripper

Rich M

I did a search but found no answer.

When 'Shoot w/o Lens' is on, (shooting with non OEM lens etc) I have just been reading that it can be left 'On' all the time. Even if swapping between legacy & OEM lens. Does this switch off the electrical contacts between lens & body ? I am thinking there must be some 'dialogue' between lens and body with dedicated lens such as the menu reporting O.I.S on or off. What about using flash both internal & external TTL metering etc. Can someone enlighten me please ?

tripper
I have left mine on all the time....it has been over six months. Do it once, never worry about it again.

Diane B

AFAIK, its fine to leave it on. I've had mine set to 'shoot w/o lens' since Feb. 09 when i got my first FD lens/adapter. We have been telling people for the last year to set it and forget it. There is, of course, data being passed with electrical contacts, but I don't believe that menu item has anything to do with it. I can't give you any particulars--maybe someone else can, but I do know it doesn't affect any of my lenses and I have legacy MFs, a ZD 9-18, m4/3rds Oly 17 f/2.8 and 4 Panny dedicated m4/3rds.

Diane

Godfrey

The SHOOT W/O LENS option on Panasonic bodies is there primarily to reduce service calls. It's a safety that ensures to the user that the lens has been fully mounted, properly, and perhaps keeps a naïve user from sticking their finger in and feeling the shutter bend on it.

Disabling it does nothing to anything else, it just allows the shutter to operate when a lens isn't fitted.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I leave mine on all the time and I only have one non-electronic lens. So far working fine...

T

tripper

Well, I thought there has to be some reason why it is switchable on/off or why not set it permanently 'ON' in the firmware and dispense with the menu choice ?
But now I am beginning to doubt my theory :(

tripper