The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weather sealing? Apparently not any time soon.

bbodine9

I know there are some of us who aspire to own this type of camera in a weather sealed body and lens combo but from what I have seen to date it does not appear likely. My biggest reason for saying this is not so much that a weather sealed body is out of the question but there has not been one lens produced that has the weather sealing required to make a complete system. What a shame because it could be the ultimate go to camera style regardless of conditions. If anyone knows otherwise or can relate their inclement weather experiences I would be pleased to hear about it. Thanks!

andrewteee

In the 4/3 lenses weather proofing is available on the higher grade lenses, so presumably we won't see weather proofing in m4/3 until we start to see "pro" or higher grade m4/3 lenses, if ever. Of course, with the adapter you can use weather sealed 4/3 lenses on the m4/3 cameras.

My guess is that m4/3 will remain a consumer camera for a long time, even though I know many pros love them.

jonoslack

Well
For what it's worth, my EP1 with kit lens was submerged in water for something like 3 minutes, and there was very little evidence of water inside . . . and after a few days in the airing cupboard it did work.
So, I know they aren't weatherproof, but I certainly don't have qualms about using them in the rain.

jonoslack

Thanks for the response Jono but what in the world happened?
I jumped over a ditch with fast flowing 2ft deep muddy water, and the camera popped neatly out of my pocket and into the water - took a few minutes to find it. To be honest, it isn't perfect, but it does kind of work - the point being that if it nearly survived 3 minutes submersion in muddy water I'm not going to get too prissy about a bit of rain.

My Ricoh GX100 on the other hand died after one small splash.