The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steinheil f1.5 25mm Quinon (c-mount) on GH1

kds315

Steinheil was always known for their good lenses and the Quinon is known for its sharpness, so when I discovered that c-mount beauty, I jumped....

Now a test: Vignetting, distortion, sharpness test. The former Witchtower here at the Weinheim castle, ca 15m away. Original shots, just resized.

f1.5:

f2.8:

f5.6:

f11:

f22:

Note some barrel distortion and disappearing vignetting, much increasing sharpness/contrast from f2.8 onwards. Sweet spot around f4-f5.6 IMHO.

Wide open I have to try some portrait shots...(note the "glow")

V

Vivek

I am looking for one of these. I missed buying one when Rabe sold one a while ago.:(

looks like there is noticeable CA..

kds315

Yes, there is some CA and there is also some distortion closeup, but nevertheless a fine lens, which renders nicely. Hard to express in tech. terms though. When I see another one, I'll drop you a note!

V

Vivek

Thanks a bunch, Klaus! Much appreciated.

BTW, What is the filter size?

kds315

Most welcome. Asd you may have seem in my pic above, it looks like there is no filter thread mount, but clever as Steinheil engineers always have been, that is just a decorative ring which can be unscrewed easily (it has been made for that purpose) and under that is a 33mm filter thread mount.

V

Vivek

Thanks for the info.

The wide open shot- was it made with the decorative ring intact?

If so, without it, wouldn't the corner darkening/vignetting be better?:)

V

Vivek

I offered a decent price of $200 for the beat up one on eBay but it was declined. :(

Jonas

Sometimes I don't know what's up with the prices for these motion picture lenses. I feel sorry for those shooting, or wanting to shoot, 16mm film; maybe it is as simple as they are rare... anyway, people tend to pay a lot for them.

For us the situation is a bit different. We have at least more choices making us get by while finding the lens.

V

Vivek

There is no obvious advantage to buy this Steinheil lens unless one has a hacked m4/3rds body to go with it.;)

16mm users will not miss this lens at all.

Jonas

There is no obvious advantage to buy this Steinheil lens unless one has a hacked m4/3rds body to go with it.;)
That's what making it a mystery. My guess is that most µ4/3 easily would find other options. I don't see anything in this Steinheil lens justifying a price tag of several houndred of dollars. Maybe it is something for a collector?

Or, I am mssing something.