The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 on m4/3?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was offered this lens, with a few scratches on the outside but what appears to be perfect glass on the inside for $400 today, plus $100 for an m43 adapter. Seemed like a good deal, so I reserved it for pickup next week. Does anybody have experience with this lens on 4/3 or m4/3?

I was also offered a Contax Zeiss 135mm f/2.8. Anybody used that one?

apicius9

I'm sure someone else will have more practical experience - I got mine just a few weeks ago and have not yet had a chance to play with it as much as I would like. But the first impressions have me very excited. It's actually smaller than I expected but with the added adapter it may still look better on a G1/GH1 than on the smaller cameras. In any case it is a relatively heavy piece of glass, noticeably more so than the 45-200 or the 14-140 (subjective, not measured). $400 is a bargain price if it is in really good condition, especially if you can have a look at it before buying. Mine fits well with a cheaper adapter from one of the Chinese ebay sellers, so the adapter price seems a bit high to me but for $500 as a package I would definitely take it. In the unlikely case that you don't like it, you can easily resell for the same or more. Don't know the 135mm.

Just my 2cts,

Stefan

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, is it an MM or an AE lens? You can tell by the color of the smallest aperture marking: white for AE, green for MM. The MM lenses are later than the AE models and, according to this post at FredMiranda.com, the MM version of the Contax 84/1.4 is slightly better than the AE version.

MM versions of this lens are currently available on eBay for USD 650 and more. So I'd have to agree with Stefan that USD 400 is a very attractive price, even if it's the older AE version.

Here's a comparative test of 7 lenses at 85mm, including the Contax Zeiss 85/1.4.

You might also want to consider the Rokinon 85/1.4, which is about USD 265 on eBay. People who have it, love it. There's a lengthy discussion about it (and other 85s) in this thread on Alt 85mm lenses and specifically about the Rokinon in this thread.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments and links. It's an MM. I will mostly use it for portraits, so center sharpness, colours and bokeh around f/2.0 is what is most important to me. Since I live in Thailand, eBay isn't really an alternative (cost of money transfer, shipment and the risk that some customs officer finds that he wants $100 as well). The Rokinon is available here as Vivitar for $450 (the Zeiss is $370, but should I decide to sell it, I could probably get more for it in Europe). The advantage of the Rokinon is that I can have it in F-mount and use it on the S5 as well, but I already have the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 that works well with AF, and the Nikkor 105mm f/1.8. The problem with that 85 is that it's useless for manual focus, and the 105 is too front heavy for the GH1.

An advantage with the Zeiss is the compact size. It's small enough to go into my carry everywhere bag mounted on a camera. The Rokinon is a bit larger. I don't know about build quality on the latter, but the Zeiss seems to be built like the proverbial tank.

The adapter is expensive, but again, eBay isn't an alternative, and this is a Fotodiox.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi There Jorgen
Decisions decisions.
I know it's slower (f2.8) but the macro panaleica 45mm m4/3 lens is wonderful for portraits, lovely gentle bokeh, added to which it's small, doesn't extend with focusing, and of course it has IS and AF into the bargain.

Just a thought.

Jonas

Seeing your very well taken food images in the Fun with... thread I guess you know what you are doing. But... 85mm for portraits, doesn't that feel awfully long?

I have used the Samyang (the maker of the Samyang, Vivitar, Rokinon, Bower and more 85/1.4 with a FF camera). It is a tad sharper in the center than the Zeiss and the bokeh can be described as being the 85mm version of the Sigma 50/1.4; smooth, creamy and with defocus CA. The build quality is good, not metal as the Zeiss but modern plastic actually feeling good. I have seen no complaints about the Samyang (and more) build quality.

As I prefer shorter focal lengths for portraits I think of the Zeiss Planar G 45/2 (a budget option, very sharp, not very good beleh at f/2 but everything is right from f/2.8), the Olympus ZD 50/2 Macro (if you like focusing by wire or very slow AF, EXIF and AE of course), the Olympus Zuiko OM50/2 Macro (if you prefer manual focusing) and some other lenses as "better" options for portraits for use with our cameras.

EDIT: The "sharpness"... these FF lenses do of course perform somewhat less stellar with µ4/3 and 4/3 cameras than with the FF cameras we usually see images from.

regards,

/Jonas

Winkel

Hi Jorgen,

I too have the MM version and have used it frequently on my Olympus E-520. It's heavy but reasonably balanced on the camera thanks to the grip. And surprisingly it's not too bad to hold on the E-PL1. However, it looks a little ridiculous with the Contax Metal Hood 4 though it does effectively reduce flaring.

At f1.4 the images are soft and exhibit pronounced CA (too much for me) but these issues are much reduced at f2. Contrast and colours are very nice when slightly stopped down, too.

It's still one of my favourite lenses - beautiful bokeh and amazing build quality. Enjoy!

Jim

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks for all the great responses. I already have the OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0, and it's the most beautiful lens one can imagine. I wouldn't mind the Panaleica 45mm, but it's $900 here, and still a stop slower than the Zuiko. The reason why I would like a longer focal length as well, is that I often do portraits sitting behind the journalist who does the interview, so I work at some distance and I need a large aperture to get a shallow depth of field when that is needed (Interviews are often done at some rather ugly locations that look much better blurred.).

Often, I use the S5 with 105mm for this, but that's a big, heavy combo, and I'm lazy, so I would prefer something more compact. I'm obviously also hoping for a Fuji m43 camera, but knowing Fuji, that may take one week or ten years :(

An alternative would be the OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro or 100mm f/2.0 (I have the 100/2.8, but it isn't really sharp until f/4), but they are hard to find as well as expensive. Another (almost ideal) alternative is the Pentax 77mm, which works well for manual focus, but that's $800 plus adapter.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, given that eBay isn't an option and the way you intend to use the lens, I'd say the Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and Fotodiox adapter is a no-brainer: a great lens at a reasonable price. If you're not happy with it -- I'd be very surprised if that was the case -- you should have no trouble selling it.

jonoslack

I'm with Jonathan
I used to have this lens with my RTSII lots of years ago . . . and really loved it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks again Jonathon and Jonathan. There is of course another argument that isn't without importance: ZAS (Zeiss Acquisition Syndrome!). I haven't had any symptoms that I know of previously, but it's never too late to contract such a desirable disease, is it :ROTFL:

Ummm... did I mention that they also have a mint Aria for $300? Not that I shoot much film these day, but just as a safety precaution, in case the shops run out of memory cards one day :p

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Thanks again Jonathon and Jonathan. There is of course another argument that isn't without importance: ZAS (Zeiss Acquisition Syndrome!). I haven't had any symptoms that I know of previously, but it's never too late to contract such a desirable disease, is it :ROTFL:

Ummm... did I mention that they also have a mint Aria for $300? Not that I shoot much film these day, but just as a safety precaution, in case the shops run out of memory cards one day :p
Well, from what I understand, once you've contracted ZAS your immune system is so weakened that you will almost certainly succumb to MFAS (Medium Format Acquisition Syndrome). Apparently, a new strain -- labeled P645D -- has recently been discovered.

Also, I doubt you'll have any problems getting the Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification to approve the Contax Aria purchase.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, from what I understand, once you've contracted ZAS your immune system is so weakened that you will almost certainly succumb to MFAS (Medium Format Acquisition Syndrome). Apparently, a new strain -- labeled P645D -- has recently been discovered.

Also, I doubt you'll have any problems getting the Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification to approve the Contax Aria purchase.
MFAS? Never heard about it. But then, I close my eyes every time I pass the new-in-box Contax 645 with the standard 80/2.0 lens that has been sitting on the shelf of the same shop for at least a couple of years now :eek:

pellicle

at the risk of tossing in a curve ball, the OM and FD 100mm lenses are very sweet too, and cost much less.

pellicle

Ohh ... I see you're already down that path ...

An alternative would be the OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro or 100mm f/2.0 (I have the 100/2.8, but it isn't really sharp until f/4), but they are hard to find as well as expensive. Another (almost ideal) alternative is the Pentax 77mm, which works well for manual focus, but that's $800 plus adapter.
its interesting that I find my OM 100mm f2.8 tack sharp on film at 2.8 but I can't say I've compared it on the G1 .. well I only have one 100mm lens ;-)

from this overview @ f2.8

The top section is from that neg (bottom section is OM 50mm @2.8)

click for larger

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ohh ... I see you're already down that path ...

its interesting that I find my OM 100mm f2.8 tack sharp on film at 2.8 but I can't say I've compared it on the G1 .. well I only have one 100mm lens ;-)
My experience as well, but Olympus actually warned about that when they released the E-1. It;s probably because it's very far from being telecentric, which is an important principle for all 4/3 lenses. The 100/2.0 is supposed to be much better in that respect.

V

Vivek

I was offered this lens, with a few scratches on the outside but what appears to be perfect glass on the inside for $400 today, plus $100 for an m43 adapter.

I just noticed that a famed Zeiss glass is only 4x times (or less?) the price of an empty metal tube.

V

Vivek

P, When one pauses and thinks about it (like I did- this is coming from one who has downed a lot of cash and time on adapters/adapting), this happens.:(

There is a lot of traffic on the m4/3rds because of this adaptability business. After G1, everything (including the announced G2 with touch screen menu) look not that attractive.

pellicle

Vivek-san

thinking is something that no matter how much of it I do, I still benefit from the thoughts of others. Thanks for sharing yours

I did nearly just buy a Contax, but have stayed my hand as the EF100f2 USM is nearly the same price ... is barely a wee bit shorter and will give me some advantages in operation (AF and auto aperture control) over the contax ... as I have an OM 100 f2.8 I'm not sure if I'll benefit largely over the Contax ... unless someone can show how nicely it performs against a OM 100mm f2.8 (on a G1)

the 135 does not lure me much on the G1 but does on the 35mm frame size.