The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

indiSNAP! collar for pulling focus with c-mount lenses

gmoe

Recently, I've been testing out some gear for Tim Ovel with indiSYSTEM. He has been refining his SNAP! lens gear. It has a unique design with magnets so when placed over your lens the gear snaps and fits securely together.

I've been talking with Tim about the possibility of creating gears that would work with c-mount lenses. I'm happy to report that we have a solution. For those who are hoping to use c-mount lenses with a follow focus the SNAP! gear with SNAP! collar will allow you to pull focus on smaller cine c-mounts lenses.

Most of you probably wouldn't use a follow focus but I think the SNAP! gear can be used simply by itself as a focusing gear to help get critical focus with out having to worry about trying to focus with the small focus ring of a c-mount lens. The SNAP! gear with the collar fits the c-mount lenses very well and gives you a little torque when you turn the gear. I found it really nice to be able to use the gear just by itself for focusing with my Kodak Ektar lenses.

I’ve been a little delayed posting footage but I do have pictures that you can see here:

For more details you can visit:

www.componentgeek.com

gmoe

I'm just providing an alternative for those who may find it useful. As a filmmaker, it helps me in obtaining better critical focus for use on the GH1. For what I do, I always use a follow focus and gears on my lenses whenever I can so the ability to use a lens gear with a follow focus on a smaller c-mount lens is just another option to have.

I'm just speaking for me, I did notice that it was useful to use the snap gear to help me with focusing. For others that may be totally different and that's no problem.