The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NX10...What was that review all about?!?

Tullio

I don't quite get it, so let me share my thoughts on the subject. I just read the dpreview's full review of the Samsung NX10. Since this is a mirror-less camera (theoretically sharing the m4/3 technology to some extent), I'd think they would compare it with the Pana G models (G1/GH1) more so than the GF1 since its features and ergonomics are much closer to the G1/GH1 than to the GF1. Also, I would expect them to pick one of the Oly EP models as well. Instead, they compared it with the Nikon D500 and Canon EOS 550D, two full blown DSLRs. I guess the rational was based on the sensor type rather than the fact it does not use a mirror but still, I think they should have included at least one more m4/3 model on the review. What do you think?

Terry

Well,
Let's think about that a bit more. What would be the difference in form factor between the GF1/E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 ?....nothing

Comparing it to the G1 which is already being replaced by the G2 wouldn't have been terribly enlightening. The GH1 would have been feasible but I believe was done before they changed some of their testing and they may not have had one on hand. G10 is new and not out yet.

Roel

With regard to comparing it to the Nikon & Canon DSLR's, my guess is that they did that because the NX10 uses the APS-C size sensor which is what the NX10 uses. Then again, DPR can be a funny place sometimes...

Diane B

With regard to comparing it to the Nikon & Canon DSLR's, my guess is that they did that because the NX10 uses the APS-C size sensor which is what the NX10 uses. Then again, DPR can be a funny place sometimes...
That's how I saw it--comparing 2 of the APS-C cameras that those buying the NX10 might consider if going outside the mirrorless cameras.

photoSmart42

Comparing it to the G1 which is already being replaced by the G2 wouldn't have been terribly enlightening. The GH1 would have been feasible but I believe was done before they changed some of their testing and they may not have had one on hand. G10 is new and not out yet.
Maybe, kinda. The GF-1 and the G1 share the same technology, so the comparison with the G1 would have been more appropriate because of the form factor similarities. The GH1 would have been a better comparison because it is comparing the newer cameras, and just because they don't have the camera around doesn't mean they still don't have the test shots and results from having tested the GH1. There's no reason why they can't re-use those, and I suspect they do that anyway. So instead they're comparing a newly released camera to 2-year old technology with a different form factor.

No, I think any way you slice it the comparison with the GF-1 wasn't their best choice. These are the sorts of decisions made by reviewers that make you wonder about the validity of their conclusions, and of their bias (intentional or otherwise).

Terry

The studio shots from the GH1 and the NX10 can't be compared. What I tried to say and just confirmed is the review from the GH1 happened before they changed their studio set up and testing. So you would be doing an apples to oranges comparisson.

aleksanderpolo

I think they are more concern about the feature set than the form factor. Considering:

GF1: video, high res non flip lcd, low res add on evf
NX10: video, high res non flip lcd, lower res evf
G1: no video, high res flip lcd, high res evf.

Most of the comparison are done on image quality, in which there is little difference between GF1 and G1 anyway.

Also, given Sumsung's "My sensor is bigger than yours" sales pitch, it's interesting to compare it with other mid-level APSC to see that the sensor size isn't everything.

photoSmart42

The studio shots from the GH1 and the NX10 can't be compared. What I tried to say and just confirmed is the review from the GH1 happened before they changed their studio set up and testing. So you would be doing an apples to oranges comparisson.
Point taken, but it still seems weird given their introduction of the NX10 in the review:

(paraphrasing) "The closest competitor to the NX10 is the G2, and it matches the features of the PEN series cameras, so therefore we're going to compare it to... neither of those cameras"

Anyway, it's just a review that only means as much as people give it weight and credence. No need to belabor the point of how they perform their comparisons I think. It's up to us who read those reviews to decide how to best digest the information presented.

ggibson

The Samsung probably catches the eye of any people who looking at similarly priced Canon/Nikon DSLRs, so they probably wanted to make sure to provide those comparison points.

I feel like the results from all of the m4/3 cameras are very similar anyways. Without being able to compare it to the G2, the next logical representative was the GF1. G1=discontinued. GH1=too expensive. E-P1=not as highly rated (@DPreview). I'm sure when the G2 review comes out, they'll have an NX10 comparison anyways.

V

Vivek

The only useful bit of info there is the problem while using a manual focus lens (compared to m4/3rds cams) due to the lack of a zoom feature.

I attribute that to the failure of the manufacturer, Samsung, to disclose it than the "reviewers".

The rest, IMO, is useless confusion.

The "comparisons" would have benefited from comparing the NX10 to a K20D.

My NX10 will reach me next week and I intend to use it for what I have in mind.

Tullio

Well,
Let's think about that a bit more. What would be the difference in form factor between the GF1/E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 ?....nothing...
Well, I don't believe the GF1 and the EPs behave identically in terms of IQ. IMO, the idea is to compare IQ produced by the camera being reviewed with other comparable models. The GF1 has a less intrusive low pass filter than the EPs, which in turn results in sharper images. I really don't feel they are that similar except for the fact that they are compact and share the m4/3 format.

Well, I' think that comparing the GH1 was a must (even though the GH1 has been out for a while). It has one of the best m4/3 sensors and record video as the NX10. Not including the Gnn in the mix makes the review incomplete IMO.

Tullio

Absolutely...and I mentioned this possibility on my OP. Fair enough with that regards. However, I think the bulk of the interest on the NX10 comes from the m4/3 community. Thus, they should have included a couple more m4/3 models in their comparison, I think.

LCT

...The "comparisons" would have benefited from comparing the NX10 to a K20D...
Yes or a Pentax K-x the size of which is closer. I don't quite see the point of comparing APS to 4/3 though. Different crops, different DoFs and different lenses if legacy ones cannot be focused accurately on the Samsung.

V

Vivek

I will check if manual focus lenses can or can not be used on the NX10 soon.

I had used manual focus lenses on a Nikon D70, D40x, etc (no special screens for the viewfinder) in the past.

K20d or the Samsung clone (did not know they made one!:eek:) would have been appropriate, especially with a Pentax 50mm lens.

Right now, the Pana G1 is the king when it comes to manual focus lens use.

I hope there will be good user G3 with an improved sensor soon.