The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reliable flash for m4/3rds (manual focus lenses)

V

Vivek

Anyone aware of a reliable system flash that will work with manual focus lenses on m4/3rds cams?

I am particularly looking for a ring/macro flash (no continuous lights but the types that will flash sync at 1/160s).

TIA.

V

Vivek

That is an interesting flash!

Anyone has first hand experience with that (with any system)?

V

Vivek

I just realized that the Metz autoflash is only as good as the pop up flash on the cam.

This means it is a no go with the Pana m4/3rds as it only works (exposes properly) ~1 in 10 shots or so. :(

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I just realized that the Metz autoflash is only as good as the pop up flash on the cam.

This means it is a no go with the Pana m4/3rds as it only works (exposes properly) ~1 in 10 shots or so. :(
Vivek, that's not my experience at all. I have a Mecablitz 48 AF-1 (for Olympus/Panasonic cameras), which I use off-camera with an Olympus FL-CB05 Remote Cable. It has a TTL HSS mode that works flawlessly with both the Panasonic 20/1.7 (in M, A, and S exposure modes) and my MF lenses (in M and A exposure modes). The flash also has an M HSS mode that I haven't yet tried. In manual mode you can vary the power from full to 1/128.

The 48 AF-1 is powerful, reliable, (relatively) inexpensive, and much better value than the corresponding Olympus and Panasonic flashes.

According to these DPreview forum threads, Olympus and Canon flashes use the same pinout so you can use Canon cables if you need to extend the flash further. (I use Pocket Wizards if I need more extension.)

Off The Camera Flash Sync Cord Set-Up

Wired Flash Sync

I need a small flash for my new G1.

I'm used to the Canon 220 flash which simply puts out one flash when you press the shutter release. I'd have thought that the Mecablitz 36 AF-4 was plently large enough for my needs. I see it has E-TTL for the G1.

Does it have that, for me anyway, annoying pre-flash that the G1 uses with its pop-up flash? Seems slow and amateurish to me.

Tony

kweide

the same here:
Metz 58 AF-1 O used off-camera with Canon ETTL cable. All modes on E-P1 work flawlessy even the HSS modes. TTL HSS and M HSS without any problems.

V

Vivek

Thanks Jonathon and kweide. :) I will look into the Metz flash.

(I already have an Olympus flash extension chord.)

Vivek,

OK, you are interested in the 58 and I'm looking at the 36.

I'm sure the 58 is too large to mount on a m43 hotshoe. Is the answer for on-camera flash to be thinking about a flash on a bar from the tripod bush? To move the weight on to the same plane as the camera - as we all had to do before hotshoes were invented.

Tony

V

Vivek

Tony, I have a small (TTL only) aftermarket flash (takes 4 AAA batts, ~$40 from eBay, bounce is possible). It works well when the system lenses are used. But is unreliable (so is the pop up) when I use manual focus lenses.

I am not entirely sure that there is any flash that is reliable (if the pop up does not work..). :(

Vivek,

My pop-up works. It is just that I need a guide number of at least 25 to give me some fill on what are otherwise available light group shots. I also hate that pre-flash that it gives as it makes me look like a P&S snapper - and it also creates a delay that my type of photography cannot live with.

Tony

V

Vivek

Tony, I am quite mindful of the small power of the pop-up.

My problem is not underexposure (with f/1.4 or faster lenses, for head shoulder portraits)!

V.

"I have a small (TTL only) aftermarket flash (takes 4 AAA batts, ~$40 from eBay, bounce is possible)."

Could you let me know the details please? Still hunting for something v small.

Tony

V

Vivek

Tony, 2 AA batts (not 4 AAA). When I bought it, it was badged differently.

GN22 (actually a tad higher).

See: ebay #260575493431

I bought from a different seller.

Godfrey

Anyone aware of a reliable system flash that will work with manual focus lenses on m4/3rds cams?

I am particularly looking for a ring/macro flash (no continuous lights but the types that will flash sync at 1/160s).

TIA.
If you mean 'dedicated auto flash' with adapted manual lenses, I know of no TTL auto flash that is 100% reliable with adapted manual lenses. This is because adapted manual lenses transmit no aperture information to the camera body: the Panasonic (and Olympus, I believe) bodies rely upon the aperture information to make flash power and ambient exposure settings with the dedicated TTL flash units.

Standard, non-dedicated auto-flash units work very well, but I don't know of any ringlight autoflash units that are not TTL-based.

V

Vivek

Godfrey, When there is no stopping down- for example Olympus pen F 40/1.4 wide open, I don't understand why the flash does not function reliably. :confused:

Nikon's i-TTL does (OEM or even third party).

Given that the whole sensor (or a whole lot of the sensor) is available for metering measurements, I would think the CDAF systems have an advantage with the flash. I dream of some very unque possibilities. Unfortunately, I do not have resources to test the ideas out.

CPWarner

Anyone using radiopoppers or other transmitters to fire off non panasonic/olympus flashes? I have a couple Canon speedlights that I want to use, but need to figure out how to fire them. I used the Canon STE-2 to trigger flashes with my 1DsMKII, but that obviously does not work with a panasonic GF1. So I am curious if someone else has used a wireless trigger on canon or nikon flashes.

Cliff

Godfrey

Godfrey, When there is no stopping down- for example Olympus pen F 40/1.4 wide open, I don't understand why the flash does not function reliably. :confused:

Nikon's i-TTL does (OEM or even third party).

Given that the whole sensor (or a whole lot of the sensor) is available for metering measurements, I would think the CDAF systems have an advantage with the flash. I dream of some very unque possibilities. Unfortunately, I do not have resources to test the ideas out.
SLRs use dedicated electronic flash light measuring sensors either in the mirror box aimed at the shutter blades/film plane or behind the pentaprism aimed at the focusing screen to do the flash metering. They're far more efficient at it than the imager sensor can be, and faster too. It has nothing to do with CDAF.

That's not to say it's impossible to do, only that the current implementation in the Panasonic mFT cameras at least (and I think in the Olympus mFT cameras too) requires the lens information of maximum aperture and aperture setting control to work reliably. Adapted manual lenses do not provide this information so the system has difficulty operating with consistency.

Godfrey

Anyone using radiopoppers or other transmitters to fire off non panasonic/olympus flashes? I have a couple Canon speedlights that I want to use, but need to figure out how to fire them. I used the Canon STE-2 to trigger flashes with my 1DsMKII, but that obviously does not work with a panasonic GF1. So I am curious if someone else has used a wireless trigger on canon or nikon flashes.
I use an el cheapo Cactus V4 transmitter/receiver to fire flash units with my L1 and E-1 bodies. It unfortunately causes significant interference and image degradation with the G1 body (as well as with the Canon 5DII and some other cameras) so I can't use it with that. I'm planning to expand my lighting equipment with a set of the Impact transmitter/receivers that B&H Photo sells ... they are known to work with the G1 body well with no interference and are reasonably priced. A friend used Pocket Wizard units and another brand (name I forget) with his G1 and Nikon D200, they work well too. The PWs are somewhat pricey.

The slaved flash units I use run a gamut from old, cheap junk to the Olympus FL50 (of course, in manual output mode). They'd work fine with the Canon flash units too. BUT, I've found the lesser model Canon flash units (like the EX420 (?) I had) really only work best triggered by Canon cameras and control units ... the 420 had no manual adjustability at all when I tried to use it as a slaved flash: it always fires at full, unmetered output, which meant it was mostly useless to me.

If your Canon flash units have output power adjustability in manual mode, then they should work fine.

A good kit of three to four Vivitar 285HV flash units and RF receivers coupled with one transmitter on camera, along with a couple of stands and clamps to hold them, and some light modifiers, constitutes a great lighting kit suitable for professional work at a very reasonable price.

V

Vivek

SLRs use dedicated electronic flash light measuring sensors either in the mirror box aimed at the shutter blades/film plane or behind the pentaprism aimed at the focusing screen to do the flash metering. They're far more efficient at it than the imager sensor can be, and faster too.
I would disagree with that.

I will check how Samsung's NX10 behaves. They also have very useful looking (and cute) external flashes unlike the m4/3rds.