The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Four new Micro 4/3rds manufacturers

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Has someone posted about this already? I couldn't find any mention of it on the forum. So, how did we manage to miss this? Since the announcement was apparently made on April 1st, it's probably because we were distracted by Jeff "aka Liar and Scumbag" Ascough's digital RF hoax.

Anyway, on the same day, in a post that was somehow missed by the rumor sites, EOSHD.com revealed that Fuji, Kodak, Sigma, Sanyo have joined the Micro 4/3rds consortium:
April 1st is a strange news day by all accounts and it's good to have some fun, especially as the HDSLR news is a bit slow right now. But some of the real news today has been buried amongst the flurry of joking.

Well, out of the blue has come this -

After lengthy talks with Panasonic and Olympus, 4 new manufacturers have signed up to produce Micro 4/3rds product lines.

Fuji will make a Micro 4/3rds mount mirrorless HDSLR similar to the GH1

Kodak have also joined the consortium and will produce a smaller GF1 style camera with their own sensor.

Sigma will provide lenses for now but for the future my sources say a Micro 4/3rds camera based on their Foveon sensor is in development.

Sanyo has also joined the group, under owners Panasonic. Sanyo will manufacturer lower-end Micro 4/3rds mount interchangeable lens video cameras and camcorders.
It's not an April Fool's Joke, the four-thirds.org website now lists the following supporting companies:
Eastman Kodak Company
Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd
Leica Camera AG
Panasonic Corporation
Olympus Imaging Corp
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd
Sigma Corporation

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
My abject apologies.

The page on the four-thirds.org website lists Four Thirds consortium members and has nothing to do with Micro Four Thirds development. It seems as though the EOSHD.com post was an April Fool's Joke too.

Warren Zevon must have been thinking about me when he sang:
Excitable boy, they all said
Well, he's just an excitable boy.
I wish I could blame Jeff Ascough but it's entirely my own mistake.