The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PL-mount, Lens buying advise needed.

J

jwestra

I have the opportunity to but a few PL-mount lenses.
The deal is for
TWO identical: Schneider Cine-Xenon 75mm 1:2.2
And one: Angenieux 12-120mm 1:2,2 with original case.

All lenses are supposed to be in good condition without scratches.
How much do you guys think these lenses are worth?

M

mattlazz

I have the opportunity to but a few PL-mount lenses.
The deal is for
TWO identical: Schneider Cine-Xenon 75mm 1:2.2
And one: Angenieux 12-120mm 1:2,2 with original case.

All lenses are supposed to be in good condition without scratches.
How much do you guys think these lenses are worth?
Not good at putting dollar amounts on things, but Angenieux's have skyrocketed in price due to their quality. One issue though it whether it will cover the m4/3 sensor; I've yet to find a 16mm zoom lens that does. They all seem to have heavy vignetting.

Bernard

The 12-120 is a regular 16 lens. It doesn't cover the Super 16 frame at the wide end. That lens would have come with an Arri bayonet mount originally. I'm surprised it's been converted to PL.
FYI, regular 16 is roughly 10x7.5mm. Super 16 is 12x7.5. Four Thirds is 17.3x13

The 12-120 has a poor reputation in the Cine world, but a lot of that is due to the fact that they were ubiquitous on film-school and rental camera packages in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, so a lot of them are/were very beat-up. Later lenses are marked with a "II" on the filter ring and should be sharper.

The Cine-Xenon 75 should cover a 35mm cine frame (18x24mm), so it's a good match to a 4/3 sensor.

J

jwestra

Ok thanks, so the 12-120mm is not really useful for any modern camera system.

I can get the whole lot (the two 35mm and the 16mm) for 400 euro's. I gues this is really cheap right?

Bernard

I couldn't say whether it's a good deal or not, but the Cine-Xenon was a high quality 6 element lens.

Are you sure these are PL mount? I found a brochure online, and it looks like the Schneider lenses would initially have been sold with either an Arri standard or Arri bayonet mount:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/kinoobjektive_kompl.pdf

PL mounts on either of these lenses may make them more valuable to videographers, especially those that use the Red One camera.

J

jwestra

You are right. The lenses are indeed arri mount but PL adapters are included in the deal.