The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro four thirds teleconverter?

Rawfa

I know that there are teleconverters for four thirds, now I was wondering if there are micro four thirds teleconverters. It would be awesome to turn my 20mm f1.7 into a 80mm f1.7 (I don't know if the adapter loses any light).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are none as far as I know, but a 2x TC would transfer the 20mm f/1.7 into a 40mm f/3.4 or thereabout, and the combo would be as large as the excellent 45mm f/2.8 macro which has OIS and would be much, much sharper. You would save a couple of dimes though...

P

Pascal

I thought for a 1.4x or 2x TC to work, your aperture had to be f4.0 (maybe it was f5.6) or bigger. Given MFT does not offer any lenses (such as the 14-140 or 45-200mm) with a large aperture, a TC may not work - atleast not provide AF.

Now if Olympus could provide us with a 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 or 300mm f4.0 mFT lens or maybe a 400mm f4.0 oe even a 200mm f2.8, a 1.4x TC or 2x TC would rock. However, I just don't see Olympus or Panasonic doing this.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The smaller the maximum aperture, the slower the AF. On Sigma lenses, AF is disabled if the lens/TC combination results in an aperture smaller than 5.6. With Nikkor lenses on Nikon camera and with Zuiko lenses on Olympus, AF will work on a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 with TC, but slowly.