The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Here is hoping..

V

Vivek

That Panasonic will come up with better NMOS sensors (this is in direct contradiction to what I posted in another thread a few days ago) for the m4/3rds.

Modification of a G1 (removal of AA/UV/IR cut filters) shows the shortcomings.

A lot of "hotpixels" show (pixel "refresh" takes care of it to an extent) and the low DR and dark noise at base ISO also become apparent.

I don't know if the G2 would be any better.

Image clarity is still astoundingly good. In IR regions, everything works out favorably.

If only, the pixel defects and the DR is improved...

greypilgrim

That Panasonic will come up with better NMOS sensors (this is in direct contradiction to what I posted in another thread a few days ago) for the m4/3rds.

Modification of a G1 (removal of AA/UV/IR cut filters) shows the shortcomings.

A lot of "hotpixels" show (pixel "refresh" takes care of it to an extent) and the low DR and dark noise at base ISO also become apparent.

I don't know if the G2 would be any better.

Image clarity is still astoundingly good. In IR regions, everything works out favorably.

If only, the pixel defects and the DR is improved...
And do we have reason to have this hope?

I ask because it has become painfully obvious to me that the G1 (and m4/3 in general) has become my system of choice. This was really hammered home on my recent trip to Yosemite where my G1 went everywhere and my D200 and lenses sat in the bag.

It is clear that I either need something really compelling (like significantly better DR, base ISO performance, low light performance, etc) to overcome the sheer enjoyment I have shooting with the G1 over heavier (somewhat more capable) systems.

I did not see anything along these lines for the G2 (which still interests me as a second body perhaps), and I wonder how much better the GH1 and its different capabilities fair in these areas, but the holy grail really would be better sensor performance, but so far, their efforts in this arena seem to be focused on better JPEG processing which just masks the underlying issues and doesn't help those of us shooting RAW.

Doug

V

Vivek

.. but so far, their efforts in this arena seem to be focused on better JPEG processing which just masks the underlying issues and doesn't help those of us shooting RAW.

Doug
You nailed it there Doug! Unfortunate, isn't it.

I hear what you say about your D200, I have half a dozen Nikon DLSRs sitting unused. :(

BTW, Doug, you seem to be one of the two people who have bought the Italian shift adapter (if what I read correctly in that web-page the indication of numbers sold)!

Is the Nikon mount on the tilt adapter removable (would it screw out or is it "fused")?

greypilgrim

BTW, Doug, you seem to be one of the two people who have bought the Italian shift adapter (if what I read correctly in that web-page the indication of numbers sold)!

Is the Nikon mount on the tilt adapter removable (would it screw out or is it "fused")?
Vivek,
It does not appear to be fused. Here are two photos that show the adapter. The first clearly shows phillips head screws. The second shows a hole which inside of it contains what appears to be a hex screw, although it may be a torx. It is hard for me to tell for sure.

Doug