The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware for Olympus EP's

I've just updated the FW of my Olympus EP2 (ver.1.1).
First impression is that AF is now much faster then before.
Cheers,
Ario

A

Alan Ang

hmmm, anyone using E-PL1 has updated the firmware? I wanna know how's the improvement...

F

FW170

I updated my E-PL1 today. The focus does improve a lot ( at least that is how I felt).

A

Alan Ang

cool! can't wait to update mine tonight when i am back home... :)

PeterB666

I just ran the update but I did before and after timimgs using this little tool... Shutter lag test tool

Olympus E-P1 with firmware 1.3 using S-AF and the screen at 0.7m from the sensor. The camera was set to ISO1600, 1/250s and f/4.5. 4 readings were taken in each test. Shots were taken indoor at night with average room lighting.

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

1.1s, 0.9s, 0.9s, 0.75s - average 0.875s.

Olympus 14-42 zoom set to approximately 20mm.

1.15s, 1.0s, 1.23s, 1.1s - average 1.12s

After upgrade to body firmware version 1.4

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

0.84s, 0.63s, 0.63s, 0.67s - average 0.69s.

Olympus 14-42 zoom set to approximately 20mm.

0.97s, 0.92s, 0.92s, 0.92s - average 0.93s.

From these figures and in this lighting and distance, the Panaonic 20mm lens cut 21% of the focus time.

The Olympus 14-42 when set to approximately 20mm cut about 18% from it's focus time.

Cheers

PeterB666

Winkel

Great information PeterB666 :salute:

I did not perform quantitative tests on my E-PL1... but I've noticed a marked improvement (roughly 20%) with the m4/3 14-42mm, 1.7/20mm, & 4/3 14-42mm, 4/3 40-150, and 4/3 9-18mm (all three 4/3 lenses are up-to-date with the most recent firmware to optimize for CDAF).

Good work, Olympus!

Jim

trisberg

Definitely noticed an improvement with this new firmware. However, my E-P2 is still 3 times slower than my now pretty old Canon Rebel XSi, so I'll continue to use the AFL button to activate and lock focus. Even then there is a not insignificant amount of lag of almost .2 s.

-Thomas

Y.B.Hudson III

EPL-1 "manual focus assist square" manipulation improves with the update. thank you olympus...*

* albeit, the 20mm 1.7 panny "manual focus" still sucks.

Last edited:

Winkel

EPL-1 "manual focus assist square" manipulation improves with the update. thank you olympus...*

* albeit, the 20mm 1.7 panny "manual focus" still sucks.
Good catch! The manual focus assist square seems to track consistently across the screen rather than accellerating through the button hold. It was quite aggravating before.

Jim

jonoslack

Well, I'm really impressed.
AF seems much better (my final reservation about going with the Olympus rather than the GF1 has gone). Especially the focusing with the panny 45 macro seems improved (it used to get rather lost going from close to far).

Well worthwhile . . . now they just need to sort out the patch better!

all the best

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Ahhhh, the focus patch.....

Why can't they use the patch that comes up for the MF screen. It's smaller and would be much desired... That should be an easy fix as it's already in the camera.....