The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the best mf 35mm lens to put on a GF1

Tullio

The Zuiko ZD 35mm macro is a great lens for the price (about $160 on eBay) but I'm not sure it will AF with the appropriate adapter (either Pana or Oly). You'd have to check the lens compatibility chart.

T

Tikkis

However, if you're looking for "the best mf 35mm lens to put on a GF1", there are lots to consider, including:

* Contax G 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2.8
* Konica Hexanon 35/2
* Konica Hexanon 35/2.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/2.8
* Nikkor AI-S 35/1.4
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2.8
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2.8
* Pentax Takumar 35/2
* Pentax Takumar 35/3.5
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4
I would advise you to stay clear of OM 35 mm. lenses, because their performance in m43 is less than spectacular (Been there, done that). I also suspect that the 35 mm Noktons may perform lamely with m43 bodies. I had great hopes for famous 35 mm Summicron-M, but I faced darkening and smearing in the picture corners. So the Summicron wasn't a real option.

The only rangefinder type of 35 mm lens thats been tried and found excellent is Contax G Planar 2/35 mm.

If that is not a satisfactory choice, I urge you to consider only the highest quality SLR-type wideangles.

Best Regards,

Tikkis,
Helsinki

W

Wesson

Your very brave. I wanted to say this in my first post but didn't dare.

The " Bentley" pictures I posted demonstrate that the 14-45mm is better than the Nikkor F2 35mm. Yes the Nikkor is faster which is why I upped the ISO to match. Yes none of them are Razor sharp but as I pointed out these are Jpeg files with no PP apart from re-sizing. I thought posting them in this form provided a level playing field.

Thes are two examples of the 14-45mm @f8. Bit of a lens torture at this distance, quite a test for a budget lens IMHO.

Corner crop from the same file.

And re the earlier colour Querry. My main hobby is stamp collecting where accuracy of colour can make thousands of pounds difference to the value. I used to use a calibrated Epson 4990, now happily use the GF1 on standard settings here an example of " Shades"

Also clearly shows how the printer ink has "bled" into the paper.

A

Abbazz

Just wanted to mention that you photos displayed at the flickr link are outstanding!
Did you use the GF1 or other 4/3 camera to take these shots?
Thank you for the kind words but, unfortunately, I am not responsible for these outstanding pictures. They were made by a gentleman named Aleksandr Matveev and I understand he is using a canon EOS 5D.

Cheers!

Abbazz