The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the best mf 35mm lens to put on a GF1

R

richie15

I have searched high and low and cant seem to find the answer to the above question.

My experience has been in Leica screw fit lenses and I have concluded that anything wider than 35mm on the GF1 with this fit is a non starter.

Keen to hear opinions, anything from Zeiss, Canon, Leica, Voigtlander or anything else anyone is happy with. I am looking for sharpness across the image and colour.

W

Wesson

I wonder if lack of information stems from the odd effective focal length. By that I mean on the GF1 this is going to be a 70mm. I 'm probably wrong but can't recollect anybody making one back in the old days. I have a Nikon 35mm F2 but as yet I haven't thought to try it. Although the GF1 takes all these different lenses I still think dedicated lenses is the way to go. In fact until more focal length are provided I would suggest looking at the 14-45mm kit lens, 18mm ( 35mm effective) and that little zoom is hitting a sweet spot. If the relative aperture of about F4 ( guess) doesn't put you off. Although you could always turn the wick up a bit the GF1 is quite good enough at at 400 ISO or even 800 in B/W to suit most users.

Last edited:
R

richie15

It is correct 70mm is an odd focal length but a native 35mm lens is about as wide as you can go with a Leica M/Screw mount because of image distortion. Yes, the kit lens is a cracker (i have one) but I am looking for best IQ from a MF lens.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Although the GF1 takes all these different lenses I still think dedicated lenses is the way to go. In fact until more focal length are provided I would suggest looking at the 14-45mm kit lens, 18mm ( 35mm effective) and that little zoom is hitting a sweet spot. If the relative aperture of about F4 ( guess) doesn't put you off. Although you could always turn the wick up a bit the GF1 is quite good enough at at 400 ISO or even 800 in B/W to suit most users.
Well, that would suggest that those of us who are happily (and successfully) using a variety of legacy MF lenses on Panasonic and Olympus m4/3rds cameras have somehow made a bunch of poor choices.

However, if you're looking for "the best mf 35mm lens to put on a GF1", there are lots to consider, including:

* Contax G 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2.8
* Konica Hexanon 35/2
* Konica Hexanon 35/2.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/2.8
* Nikkor AI-S 35/1.4
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2.8
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2.8
* Pentax Takumar 35/2
* Pentax Takumar 35/3.5
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4

Some of these you'll be able to pick up at reasonable, if not cheap, prices. Others will be considerably more expensive (I haven't listed Contax C/Y or Leica M and R lenses).

If you search for some or all of the lenses I've listed -- on this forum, on the Alternative Gear and Lenses forum at FredMiranda.com, on ManualFocus.org, and on Flickr -- you'll find lots of pictures made with particular 35mm focal length lenses. Once you find one that seems to offer the look you're after, you can look for a copy on eBay or on the Buy and Sell sections in this and other forums.

Hopefully, other GetDPI members will comment on the lenses I've listed and offer alternative suggestions. But, if you appreciate lenses that draw in all kinds of fascinating and beautiful ways, pretty much the worst thing you could do is restrict yourself to dedicated m4/3 lenses.

W

Wesson

Well, that would suggest that those of us who are happily (and successfully) using a variety of legacy MF lenses on Panasonic and Olympus m4/3rds cameras have somehow made a bunch of poor choices.
Only if you consider my opinion to be omnipotent. I wasn't suggesting that anyone using M/F had made a bad choice I was putting forward an option. I don't like using M/F lenses on the GF1, that's probably just me, but to me I'm quite important.:)

Richie I now understand. From your post I didn't realise that you already were a user.

Wesson

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There are no odd focal lengths. I sometimes use an OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 for portraits and an OM Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 as a normal lens on the GH1. Both of them work very well and are sharp enough for most purposes. I could use a faster 21mm, and will sooner or later buy the Panasonic 20/1.7, but until I can afford that, the Zuiko is doing a very good job.

W

Wesson

When I said odd I did explain that referred to a 70mm produced for full format film camera. Hence if there does happen to be one it would be very lonely,as would a 95mm. lens As I'm sure you know 75mm 85mm 90mm were the normal lenses in the short telephoto range for full frame. I wouldn't classify 60/65mm, usually Macro lenses in this group If you don't know his site just Google Nikon lens reviews Bjorn. Sorry every time I try to provide a link something goes wrong.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for me. I was actually looking forward to the company of some GF1 users.

A simple opinion given to someone and two slapped wrists.

But to chance my arm.

Jonathan wrote

Flickr -- you'll find lots of pictures made with particular 35mm focal length lenses .

But, if you appreciate lenses that draw in all kinds of fascinating and beautiful ways
I don't think I could make much in the way of a judgement based on Flicker and my monitor screen. Of course another problem is lenses show different results from different sensors. For Nikon lenses Bjorn is one of the best.. He tests Nikon 35mm focal length lenses with various cameras both film and digital and gives results, but all the cameras are Nikons.

Please note.............I don't think I could.

later buy the Panasonic 20/1.7,
You could do far worse Jorgen. But again , only in my opinion.

Wesson

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
A simple opinion given to someone and two slapped wrists....
It's unfortunate that you feel that way but the OP specifically asked for suggestions concerning legacy ("Zeiss, Canon, Leica, Voigtlander") 35mm MF lenses yet you recommended he stick with dedicated AF lenses.

I don't think I could make much in the way of a judgement based on Flicker and my monitor screen.
I suggested this forum, FredMiranda.com, and ManualFocus.org as well as Flickr. There are hundreds of threads on those forums devoted to well-informed discussions of the strengths and weaknesses of different MF lenses; discussions that -- as well as an abundance of images -- include perceptive opinions as to why one might prefer a particular lens over another. Within a relatively short period of time you can gather, from the photographs and ancillary information, a very good sense about whether a given lens might meet your needs.

I've purchased (and been consistently delighted with) a variety of Pen F, Rokkor, Hexanon, and Contax G lenses based upon this kind of research.

W

Wesson

Keen to hear opinions, anything from Zeiss, Canon, Leica, Voigtlander or anything else anyone is happy with. I am looking for sharpness across the image and colour.
The OP actually did say " or anything else" Which I understood meant an alternative ,

I reckon the little 14-45mm can be included as an "anything"

But let's stop it. Don't lets argue about semantics let's try and help the OP

I've owned/own two of the lenses listed The Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 wide open not that good, but that's on film, lovely build quality. Wouldn't feel qualified to give in words any details of how a lens draws, even if I was sure what it meant. Elsewhere on this forum there is a guy* showing examples and giving a lead to a review on 4/3 forum, wherever that is. The Nikon 35mm F2 AIS I haven't tried mine but Bjorn gives it a thumbs up on Nikons.
I realise that's not all that much help but it's a start.

Wesson.

Last edited:
W

Wesson

O.K just a playabout but it might provide some kick off.

Nikon 35mm F2 100 ISO

Nikon 35mm F5.6 100 ISO

Pan 14-45 @35mm F5.6 100ISO

Pa, 14-45mm @f5.6 but 400ISO

All straight out of the camera, default sharpening only, Jpegs, re-sized forweb.

D

dazedproductions

I have a couple listed here.
I have the nikon 35mm f1.4. Mine is the pre-AI (factory converted), circa 1976 with the radioactive thorium glass :) I really like this lens, bit dreamy wide open but really sharp by 2.8. I have it for my D3, its a really long lens on the EP2

I have just picked up a contax G 35mm f2. Focusing is different (and dependant on adaptor of course). I only picked it up as I got a really good deal on an ebay gamble (bad photos of lens). Initial tests look like this is pretty sharp wide open. Size is much more in keeping with the EP2 form factor. I bought this for the EP2 but not really sure what I will do with it as I have a 50mm as well but if I don't use it I can sell it on for a profit!

R

richie15

O.K just a playabout but it might provide some kick off.

Nikon 35mm F2 100 ISO

Nikon 35mm F5.6 100 ISO

Pan 14-45 @35mm F5.6 100ISO

Pa, 14-45mm @f5.6 but 400ISO

All straight out of the camera, default sharpening only, Jpegs, re-sized forweb.
Nice shots, not razor sharp though :)

R

richie15

Sharpness and color? Zeiss Contax Distagon 35/1.4! You'll also get superb contrast for free.

Cheers!

Abbazz

However, if you're looking for "the best mf 35mm lens to put on a GF1", there are lots to consider, including:

* Contax G 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2
* Canon FD 35/2.8
* Konica Hexanon 35/2
* Konica Hexanon 35/2.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/1.8
* Minolta Rokkor 35/2.8
* Nikkor AI-S 35/1.4
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2
* Nikkor AI-S 35/2.8
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2
* Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2.8
* Pentax Takumar 35/2
* Pentax Takumar 35/3.5
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2
* Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4

Some of these you'll be able to pick up at reasonable, if not cheap, prices. Others will be considerably more expensive (I haven't listed Contax C/Y or Leica M and R lenses).

If you search for some or all of the lenses I've listed -- on this forum, on the Alternative Gear and Lenses forum at FredMiranda.com, on ManualFocus.org, and on Flickr -- you'll find lots of pictures made with particular 35mm focal length lenses. Once you find one that seems to offer the look you're after, you can look for a copy on eBay or on the Buy and Sell sections in this and other forums.

Hopefully, other GetDPI members will comment on the lenses I've listed and offer alternative suggestions. But, if you appreciate lenses that draw in all kinds of fascinating and beautiful ways, pretty much the worst thing you could do is restrict yourself to dedicated m4/3 lenses.
Jonathan

Thanks for the list and your input, the key for me is sharpness across the image, not just the centre. I want to avoid if possible real softness wide open.

R

richie15

The OP actually did say " or anything else" Which I understood meant an alternative ,

I reckon the little 14-45mm can be included as an "anything"

But let's stop it. Don't lets argue about semantics let's try and help the OP

I've owned/own two of the lenses listed The Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 wide open not that good, but that's on film, lovely build quality. Wouldn't feel qualified to give in words any details of how a lens draws, even if I was sure what it meant. Elsewhere on this forum there is a guy* showing examples and giving a lead to a review on 4/3 forum, wherever that is. The Nikon 35mm F2 AIS I haven't tried mine but Bjorn gives it a thumbs up on Nikons.
I realise that's not all that much help but it's a start.

Wesson.
I did ask for opinions and an opinion is what I got, so thanks for that :thumbup: What I am interested in though is mf, for me there is something more satisfying about focussing the lens yourself, rather than reply on AF.

aleksanderpolo

C/Y 35/2.8. You get the Zeiss sharpness and micro contrast without the weight and price of 35/1.4 or the new Z35/2.

I actually found 35mm on m4/3 to be very useful. A few steps forward you get isolation, a few steps backward you get more space. Whereas 20 and 50s are more suitable for one way or the other.

R

richie15

C/Y 35/2.8. You get the Zeiss sharpness and micro contrast without the weight and price of 35/1.4 or the new Z35/2.

I actually found 35mm on m4/3 to be very useful. A few steps forward you get isolation, a few steps backward you get more space. Whereas 20 and 50s are more suitable for one way or the other.
Thanks what is C/Y?