The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Lens/Camera Compatibility Charts From Panasonic

W

Wesson

I always get muddled trying to understand these things. Please would somebody confirm my interpretation

The Sigma 10-20mm. Auto focus works, but not very well and the auto exposure is O.K?

Re the exposure does that mean the aperture is controllable/ visible from the camera ?

Why, oh why, can't somebody make a 10mm compatable prime? Or has anyone insider knowledge re the Micro 9-18mm Olly lens appearance. Last I heard it was supposed to be this month.

Brian Mosley

I think it's more to do with marketing than hardware - damn, the G1 misses out again. The one-touch MF assist wasn't restricted by hardware.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I always get muddled trying to understand these things. Please would somebody confirm my interpretation
Only things that I recognize clearly as lenses are the ones from Olympus. The rest look like some Panasonic TV parts.

As long as teh G2 has an improved sensor (hardware), I have n0thing to complain about.

Peter Klein

Very interesting, thanks for posting, Terry. It looks like many of the Olympus digital Zuiko lenses that would not autofocus on the G1 will do so on the G2. But they are all marked with *7, 'may not have optimal sharpness, use manual focus if it doesn't.'

The question is, what does this really mean? It will work in bright sunlight, but not on cloudy days? On cloudy days, but not indoors? Only with clearly delineated high-contrast subjects? On alternate Tuesdays, when the moon is full, but not on leap year?

My G1 works wonderfully with Leica lenses from 35mm up. And with 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 OM Zuikos. The G1 also works nicely with my digital Zuiko 40-150 f/3.5-4.5 on manual focus. Manual focus is much easier than with a conventional SLR.

But having reliable autofocus would make the standard 4/3 lenses much more usable when I need to focus quickly. If it's a little slower than with the new lenses, fine. If it's unreliable, it's a non-starter.

The information provided so far would not make me want to run out and buy a G2. What we really need to know is how genuinely useful autofocus will be on the lenses not specifically designed for contrast autofocus.

New technology is a fickle mistress... :D

--Peter

W

Wesson

Manual focus is much easier than with a conventional SLR.
Is the G1 that easy Peter? In the past I used Nikon F3HPs with rangefinder screens now they were certainly easy to focus. I use a GF1 but find M/F is almost a waste of time with the EVF, very hit and miss. Hence I was thinking perhaps a G1 for manual or wait for Panasonic to provide some decent fast prime in the 10mm and 45mm focal length and use Voigtlander V/Fs and leave the camera to sort out the twiddly bits.

Trouble with me, once I get into a camera shop I lose all sense, judgement goes straight out of the window.

Wesson.

Diane B

Is the G1 that easy Peter? In the past I used Nikon F3HPs with rangefinder screens now they were certainly easy to focus. I use a GF1 but find M/F is almost a waste of time with the EVF, very hit and miss. Hence I was thinking perhaps a G1 for manual or wait for Panasonic to provide some decent fast prime in the 10mm and 45mm focal length and use Voigtlander V/Fs and leave the camera to sort out the twiddly bits.

Trouble with me, once I get into a camera shop I lose all sense, judgement goes straight out of the window.

Wesson.
It IS really easy with the G1 (and GH1). I have both the G1 and GF1 w/EVF and though I can MF with the EVF on the GF1, its really not nearly as good as the G1--and if that's the only camera I had with EVF I wouldn't think much of it.

In fact, I bought the EOS to m4/3rds adapter even knowing the limitations of using EF lenses on m4/3ds to use my T/S lens with MF assist (though I wish I had a 17 or 24 instead of 45 LOL). Its just a breeze to focus with it now. I have not really used MF much since my film days except for T/S and Lensbaby, but now enjoy shooting with FD and Konica lenses from 24 to 135.

Peter Klein

I find manual focus with the G1 significantly easier than a conventional SLR, and much, much easier than with DSLRs, whose screens are not really meant for manual focusing. The key is the digital focusing magnifier (left arrow, OK buttons), which makes focusing any lens easier. I've used a fast 35mm Leica lens and 50mm OM and "Voigtlander" lenses, and all snap into focus very nicely. It's not for fast working, but for static subjects, it's very easy if you have the time.

The longer the lens, the easier, and the more likely you can do it even without the magnification. The unmagnified viewfinder gets a kind of "shimmer" when things are in focus, kind of like the effect of microprisms on a classic film SLR. I don't like focusing the Panny 20/1.7 manually, but fortunately, I rarely have to.

W

Wesson

Looks like a G1 might be the answer for manual lenses, thanks both for the response.

Of course the really great answer would be if Panasonic brought out a faster 45mm prime and a 10/12mm wide angle.

Is there any news on the Olympus Micro 9-18mm yet? This at least would stand in for the previouslymentioned 10mm.

I don't like focusing the Panny 20/1.7 manually, but fortunately, I rarely have to.

Yes exactly as you say.. But just playing about the little 14-45mm is rather nice, far better than most A/F Nikors. The focussing ring on mine is very smooth

Wesson.

Godfrey

Thanks Terry!

I've been planning 'what and whether' regards equipment later this year, these compatibility listings help in making those decisions.

The G2 will permit AF with all of my current FourThirds DSLR lenses, that puts it in contention with purchasing an E-30 or E-3 body. It doesn't support use of the EC14 or EX25, nor does it provide AF support for the 150mm .. the only long lens I still have a low-priority desire for.

Obviously, there are differences in other dimensions that will go into any decisions I make, this is only one of the criteria I'm considering, but it's very useful information to work with.