The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GH1 meets Macro Switar 1.9/75mm

kds315

Just some shots from the park here shot at my lunch break...

[/

So, since I just got that one and test it, would you keep that lens?

biglouis

Great examples of what can be achieved by the lens. The first and last are my favourites.

LouisB

Jonas

To my eyes this lens makes for a very pleasing overall rendering.
Thank you for the images,

/Jonas

apicius9

Looks like spring has arrived back home :)

This is one of my favorite lenses on the GH1, a great match IMHO. Definitely a keeper.

Stefan

kweide

Like the last one most. Bokeh seems to be smooth and creamy but leaks a little sharpnesspunch or are those pics ooc without any PP ??

Klaus

kds315

Like the last one most. Bokeh seems to be smooth and creamy but leaks a little sharpnesspunch or are those pics ooc without any PP ??

Klaus
Just resized or cropped and rescaled w/o resharpening. The blue "forget me not" and the Pulsatilla above it are 1:1 crops (1024pixs cuts outs) for better estimation.

Jonas

To me they lok equally good at both sites. That is when viewving them in a browser (color managed Firefox) or downloaded (no surprise as the addy is the same).
Then what? I think it is the background colour and the different spacing between the images that make for a perceptual difference, and probably nothing else. (The forums are running on different software but I couldn't see any size difference between the images when switching back and forth.) I say probably, I haven't checked it in detail.

Klaus, I seem to recall that "Macro" in this case isn't very close, is that right? Also, I don't see any longitudinal CA in your images. Is that just coincidence or is the lens begaving more or less as an APO lens?

thanks,

/Jonas

kds315

Thanks Jonas for looking into that - it may well be what you found.

There is some little CA visible and the lens behaves very well in that respect, but it is not an Apo lens. #8 + 9 are 1:1 crops so in the very contrasty areas you can hardly see CA. The dogwood (#1) shows just a little greenish CA in the OOF regions (The new Zeiss ZF 2/100mm behaves much worse for instance)

Jonas

Well, if #8 and 9 are 100% crops I agree it behaves very well indeed.

The ZF100/2 Macro and the OM90/2 Macro are both examples of lenses with loads of microcontrast - and accompanying longitudinal CA. There are more and I often find modern high resolution lenses to suffer from CA in a way making me looking for older and less "sharp" lenses.

Your images here make me wonder how the Kern Switar 50/1.4 works... I'm still looking for a good, and versatile, short tele lens.

Congrats to your Switar 75!

/Jonas

kds315

Here a few more high contrast 100% crops FYI (directly from the cam, no other processing). I also added "the sun" to show how nicely it also renders such objects further away...

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

What are the apertures used? I know the Switar macro 26mm... has the "soft wide open" fast lens syndrome, then by 2.8 the sharpness causes bleeding of the eye balls...:rolleyes: