The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to sell?

apicius9

O.k., let's say that I may have gone overboard a little bit with buying non-native lenses for my GH1 :) I don't really consider myself a lens collector, but I just wanted to try things out, I like flexibility, and got a bit carried away. Now I find that I have hard time deciding what to let go again, even though there are clearly lots of redundancies - and simply also I cannot afford to keep all of them. I thought, maybe I could get a few suggestions on what you think should be keepers and sellers, even though I know there will be plenty of different opinions. Here is a list of what I currently have (there are a few more but those are already firmly in the 'for sale' box). I marked all the ones that I really want to keep because I either like their performance or have other reasons with an *** in front of them. So, what are your thoughts reg. selling or keeping?

Adapted lenses:

Kern Switar 10/1.6 (c-mount)
Cine Nikkor 10/1.8 (c-mount)
*** Computar 12.5/1.3 (c-mount)
Canon 13/1.5 (c-mount)
Kern Yvar 16/2.8 (c-mount)
*** Angenieux 25/0.95 (c-mount)
Zeika 25/0.95 (c-mount)
*** Cooke 25/1.5(c-mount)
Canon 25/1.4 (c-mount)
*** Computar 25/1.3 (c-mount)
Kern Switar AR 25/1.4
Wollensak Anastigmat 25/1.5 (c-mount)
(several other 25mm c-mount lenses)
Schneider Xenon 35/2 (c-mount)
Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.8 (M42)
Contax G 35/2
Kodak 40/1.6 (c-mount)
Robot Schneider 40/1.9
*** Contax G 45/2
*** Summicron R 50/2
*** Contax Planar C/Y 50/1.4
Kern Switar 50/1.4RX (c-mount)
Canon Serenar collapsible 50/1.9 (LTM)
Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8 (M42)
Helios 44M 58/2 (M42)
*** Elmarit R Macro 60/2.8
Kodak 63/2 (c-mount)
*** Kern Macro Switar 75/1.9 (c-mount)
Schneider Tele-Xenar 75/2.8 (c-mount)
Robot Schneider Tele-Xenar 75/3.8
Steinheil Cassar 75/2.8 (c-mount)
*** Schneider 80/2.8 Macro with bellows (c-mount)
*** Contax Planar C/Y 85/1.4
Jupiter 85/2 (LTM)
*** Contax G 90/2.8
Schneider 100/2.8 (c-mount)
*** Leitz Hektor 135/4.5 (LTM)
Steinheil Culminar 135/4 (LTM)
Contax Planar 135/4 (M42)
Schneider 150/4 (c-mount)
Taylor & Hobson 150/4 (c-mount)
Kern Macro Yvar 150/3.3 (c-mount)
Takumar 200/4 (M42)
*** Leica Telyt R 250/4

Native lenses:
Panasonic 20/1.7
Panasonic 14-140
*** Panasonic 14-45
*** Panasonic 45-200

Planned purchase:
Panasonic 100-300

Thanks,

Stefan

Jonas

Interesting list Stefan. From earlier discussions I, partly, know, how it became that long.

What that comes to my mind, first of all, is that the lenses marked with *** are way too many. Do you really, really need 16 lenses? To me that sounds like 10 to many. So, shorten the list of what you really need and then sell the rest without looking back.

(I know it can be hard)

/Jonas

D

DougDolde

You might be setting a "gear slut" record here and that would be quite an accomplishment !

Howard

Wow!!!! Why do you want to sell the Panasonic 20 1.7mm? OTOH, why do you want retain three 25mm lenses and two 50mm lenses? Good luck with your decision.

apicius9

Wow!!!! Why do you want to sell the Panasonic 20 1.7mm? OTOH, why do you want retain three 25mm lenses and two 50mm lenses? Good luck with your decision.
Ooops, sorry about that, I switched those accidentally: I am keeping the 20/1.7 and the 14-140, thinking about selling the other two Panny zooms.

The 25mms c-mounts all have very different characteristics, that's what makes them interesting. I had approx 20 25mm c-mounts at one time, so limiting it to 3 is as brave as I can be ;) . Between the 50mm Planar and the Summicron I would probably keep the Planar for the IQ but the Cron is not bad either and has some added sentimental value (graduation gift from my parents...).

If I add the ones I have sorted out already and the few dozens I have already sold, I agree - I might be a contender for the 'gear slut' title... :rolleyes:

While there are several among them that I don't have strong feelings about, there are still too many where I keep finding things that make it hard to sell them. On the other hand, I have spend way too much time looking into lenses and not enough taking pictures, I'd like to change that eventually...

Stefan

Jonas

I'll try again,

Stefan, why not sell or put away all the lenses not marked with the stars.

Then place the 16 lenses you still have on a shelf or wherever you have your gear. Then make a note for every photo session, or every time you take a walk bringing the camera.

After some time you'll know what 10 lenses or so you never use.

Good luck,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Stefan, If you happen to have a Steinheil Quinon 25/1.5, I am looking for one for a decent price.;)

[PS: Willing to trade a new 30/2 NX lens for it]

R

raymondluo

You have a bunch of native lenses overlap each other, if I had your kit I would let go of the 14-140 and 45-200 when the 100-300 starts to fall into the reasonably priced range. That leaves a 91-199mm missing which I happen to think negligible unless you really, really have to shoot 105 or 135. (135 equivalent).

Me selling the 14-140 is based on the my notion(no credibility) that with the introduction of the AF-100, Panasonic will have a wide aperture general short range zoom with video enhanced features. I don't want to be selling the 14-140 when that happens. That's when the 14-45 will go too.

That said don't own all these lenses, and wont know how you feel about them. I do have just the 14-140 and 45-200 which I intend to do the above mentioned plan. As for low light I'm still considering the 20mm 1.7, I have had it before on an ep2 but I totally hate the faux-manual focus ring. Still waiting on the 25mm ektar, ill see how that goes.

I can't help you there with the c mounts, except to add that I expect the lenses that cover 16:9 reasonably to increase including in value, slightly. But there will always be eBay sellers pushing the scale.

Photomorgana

Hi Stephan,
here is what I would keep from that list:
(Not trying to imply that other lenses are bad, just picking and choosing)

*** Angenieux 25/0.95 (c-mount)
Kodak 40/1.6 (c-mount)
*** Summicron R 50/2 (for DSLR)
Kern Switar 50/1.4RX (c-mount)
*** Elmarit R Macro 60/2.8 (ONLY if you need it for DSLR)
*** Kern Macro Switar 75/1.9 (c-mount)
*** Contax Planar C/Y 85/1.4 (ONLY if you need it for DSLR)
Kern Macro Yvar 150/3.3 (c-mount)

Panasonic 20/1.7
Panasonic 14-140

Would add Pana 7-14mm

D

duckrider

Hello Stefan, did You take pics with the

Kern Switar 10/1.6 (c-mount) or
Cine Nikkor 10/1.8 (c-mount) or
Computar 12.5/1.3 (c-mount) ?

I'm interseted to buy a 10mm lens and will be very thankful for information if these lenses will cover full mFT frame.

Have some pictures to show here?

many thanks
Thomas:salute:

apicius9

Hi Thomas.

sorry, very little time for pics right now - last week of the semester and a longer trip coming up right after the grades are in... But what I can tell you is that the Nikkor and the Kern are very sharp but are far from covering the sensor. The Computar has the best coverage of the three and is my go-to wide angle at the moment but still shows some vignetting. It works best for me in 1:1 format. Hope this helps,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Doug --- you have surpassed Guy's level of gear-slut-ism :ROTFL:

Seriously, my advice is to choose your favorite from each focal group and sell the rest -- no reason to keep 3 25's or 3 50's. Then after you've used those for a bit, start selling the specific focals you don't ever use -- meaning you probably won't need a 12.5 and a 13.5, so probably one of those will cover you adequately. Life become much simpler as you eliminate options, and what to fill your camera bag with is no exception.

All that said, I put first dibs on either the Cooke or Computar 25, whichever you decide to sell! And second choice 25 if you do keep both of those, I'll take the Kern 25.

D

duckrider

Nikkor and the Kern are very sharp but are far from covering the sensor. The Computar has the best coverage of the three and is my go-to wide angle at the moment but still shows some vignetting.
Halleo Stefan, many thank for Your kind reply.
Helps to save a lot of money! So I don't need to invest into these 10mm :deadhorse:lenses.

I think there is no alternative to the 7-14mm Pana or the new one Olypums wide zoom.:cry:

have fun
Thomas

apicius9

Thanks everyone, I think selling most of it is the way to go. It may have to wait a bit, I'll be traveling for much of the summer and starting a sale is a bit much right now - and the ones I had offered here may have been not interesting enough (or too expensive?). Anyway, I'll have an opportunity to try out a few on my travels and that will hopefully make some decisions a bit easier. BTW, I keep looking at the 7-14 but I usually find myself preferring rather longer than shorter lengths, so I will wait for the 100-300mm first and see how that is.

Stefan

Godfrey

Simple: Sell anything you don't use. Period.

I have a total of 12 lenses shared between the two SLR and G1 bodies. I use all of them. And even that's too many, sometimes.

V

Vivek

Yup, sell them all off.

There is an Angenieux 25/0.95 Type M2 on the auction site now with smashed up rear element going above $425/- with ~4 days to go.

I am not sure why it is worth anything or what it would be useful for.:confused: