The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 as a telelens

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

yesterday, I took my Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 for a walk in our local park. I wanted to shoot some azalea close-ups, but it was too windy, impossible to shoot anything at close distance.

So I ended up shooting some normal telephoto pics. I had never used this lens at longer distances, and I must admit that I'm quite pleased with the results.

The weather changed from pouring rain to strong sunlight in minutes all the time, so the lighting was quite nice :D

Here !

C U,
Rafael

R

raymondluo

Love the captured rain Rafael. If I may, your 's/he left me standing in the rain' has inspired me to make my own series!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice photos and a nice lens too, but isn't it rather heavy (I have it myself)?

A very good Nikkor alternative would be the 105mm f/2.5 AIS which is very sharp and rather compact. I use the OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8. Not as sharp as the Nikkor, but extremely light and compact.

f6cvalkyrie

isn't it rather heavy ?
A very good Nikkor alternative would be the 105mm f/2.5 AIS
I own both (all be it that that the 105/2.5 is defective, very stiff focus after a shock), so I put them on the digital scale !
Verdict : Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 : 515gr / Nikkor 105/2.5 : 418gr

So, for 97gr, you get a lot more flexibility with a focusing range going from 41cm (1:2) to infinity.

What I was concerned about, was that, the lens being optimised for close focusing, performance at longer distances might suffer. This does not seem to be the case.

C U,
Rafael

V

Vivek

Nice photos and a nice lens too, but isn't it rather heavy (I have it myself)?

A very good Nikkor alternative would be the 105mm f/2.5 AIS which is very sharp and rather compact. I use the OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8. Not as sharp as the Nikkor, but extremely light and compact.
Not an alternative but the natural choice is the pen F 100/3.5.;)

But...whatever lens one has it is better to make use of them than idling them like I do (with Nikon lenses- all are way too big and heavy for me to use with a G1, even the 10.5 fisheye.)

biglouis

Nice photographs but to my eye they appear a tad soft, even in the centre. Was that intended or is that indeed the result of using this lens in this way?

LouisB