The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First major (US) G2 review

Terry

Imaging Resource has posted their G2 review....however it seems to be missing their pro and cons page (update the full front page is now available)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A.HTM

A lot of people have been skeptical about the touch screen operation (including the reviewers). Here is a good video of it in action (midway down the page)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A4.HTM

Best I can see is May/June US availability - which starts to get into the should I wait for Photokina timeframe.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

I quite like the touch screen AF selection... nice example video.

Strange place to embed a plug for sensor cleaning kit though, 4/3rds and m4/3rds share particularly good sensor cleaning automation.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers

Brian

photoSmart42

I really don't like that they moved the SDHC card slot next to the battery as opposed to where it was on the G1/GH1 on the side. Can't change cards now without taking off any tripod mounts that may be attached to the bottom of the camera, or while the camera is on a tripod.

V

Vivek

As I see it, the NX10 has its OLED screen as the major attraction and the G2 its touch screen. Neither "features" do anything for the image quality.

The G1 is such a bargain, especially now.

Klif570

Thanks for the link. From what I read it seems that the G2 isn't that much of an iprovement over the G1. In my opinion, not worth paying that much more for only slighly better ISO performance, and if you shoot RAW I reckon it won't make any difference. The video is nice though

simonclivehughes

I really don't like that they moved the SDHC card slot next to the battery as opposed to where it was on the G1/GH1 on the side. Can't change cards now without taking off any tripod mounts that may be attached to the bottom of the camera, or while the camera is on a tripod.
The Kirk PZ130 QR plate for the GF1 actually fits on all three bodies (G1, GH1, GF1) and it leaves the battery door unhindered on all models. Not quite as nice as the old SD position, but workable.

Cheers,

photoSmart42

The Kirk PZ130 QR plate for the GF1 actually fits on all three bodies (G1, GH1, GF1) and it leaves the battery door unhindered on all models. Not quite as nice as the old SD position, but workable.

Cheers,
Sure, but that requires you to spend an additional $80 for the plate, $100+ for the ballhead to go with that, and another $150+ for a tripod that takes a ballhead. And while the plate itself may allow you to open the battery door, you still can't do that while the camera is attached to the tripod because the ballhead bracket extends beyond the plate, thus partially covering the battery door... No, thanks!

simonclivehughes

Sure, but that requires you to spend an additional $80 for the plate, $100+ for the ballhead to go with that, and another $150+ for a tripod that takes a ballhead. And while the plate itself may allow you to open the battery door, you still can't do that while the camera is attached to the tripod because the ballhead bracket extends beyond the plate, thus partially covering the battery door... No, thanks!
Dragos,

Mea culpu, you're right, that was not a reasonable assumption on my part. I was speaking from personal experience, having had all of those items.

For the amount of times during a shoot that I need to change a card, and therefore remove the camera from the tripod, since it is all quick-release, it is no real problem for me. With 8GB cards, I get over 300 RAW images. I don't know how many you burn through in a session but it seems pretty much a non-issue.

Ciao,

mathomas

Completely OT, but can't manufacturers think of a more creative naming convention than Gx? I mean, we had Contax G1/2, Canon has had (and continues to have) an entire lineup of G-named cameras, and now Panasonic seems to feel the need to name their cameras in like fashion. Seriously annoying.

Off my soapbox now. Yes, I don't have a life. :)

Klif570

Completely OT, but can't manufacturers think of a more creative naming convention than Gx? I mean, we had Contax G1/2, Canon has had (and continues to have) an entire lineup of G-named cameras, and now Panasonic seems to feel the need to name their cameras in like fashion. Seriously annoying.

:rolleyes: I don't find this annoying at all. Just curious, what would you name it? :D

Annna T

I've already had a Contax G1, a Contax G2 and a Canon G2.. I wonder whether I should get the Panasonic G2 to complement my outfit

Anyone knows for what the G stands on these cameras ? for general ? like in "general purpose" ? or what else ? (not an expresso
)

V

Vivek

G stands for Gizmo.:ROTFL:

BTW, Fuji also had their GX line of cams.:D

Godfrey

Of course I've been using tripods which take heads that have Arca-Swiss style QR clamps for about a decade and a half...

I use the Acratech plate on my G1. Presuming the G2 is the same, it's a simple matter to drop the battery door open and change batteries while on the tripod. The only thing I have to do is tilt the camera to the side a little if it's rotated on the head to where the control knobs interfere.

It is a little odd to me that they relocated the card slot next to the battery, but with an 8G card that's 550 .RW2 exposures right there, about the same as the number of exposures before power is exhausted. I don't need to change cards or batteries very often when using a tripod.

Klif570

Lumix Grande Uno
Lumix Grande HD Uno
Lumix Grande Fidelia Uno
Lumix Grande Due
Lumix Grande Zehn

... ?
I reckon these would be good for the Mexican market.. I especially like ''Lumix Grande Fidelia Uno'' :ROTFL: a touch of Spanish, a touch of Italian.. Does it also play Cuatro Milpas when you switch it on?

Can I have a go now :D Lumix Grande Sergio Duo!