The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

small 135mm lens

shadzee

What is the best lens for...
- around 135mm-150mm eq. (70-85mm)
- smallest possible (with a small adapter)
- F2.8 or faster
- with Excellent IQ
- Less than $750
- Mostly used for portraits

Currently I'm considering the Pentax 77mm F/1.8. It's fairly small and fast lens, but the adapter makes it bigger than what I hope to have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

photoSmart42

I think most SLR lenses in that size and speed wouldn't qualify as 'small', especially given their adapters. Some RF lenses might, and you could look into some C-mount/cine lenses as well since they're usually smaller.

You should also consider looking at 50's lenses for portrait work (55, 55, 57, etc.). On mFT cameras they end up being just about in the sweet spot for portrait work, and there's a whole bunch more choices for smaller fast lenses in that focal length range.

apicius9

Have you thought about c-mount lenses here? There are a few nice ones in 75mm out there. The Kern Switar 75/1.9 may be the leader of the pack but the prices have gone up quite a bit. More affordable alternatives: Kern Yvar 75/2.8, Schneider Tele-Xenar 75/2.8 or the Angenieux 75/2.5 all usually between $200 and $300 on ebay.

Stefan

P.S. Probably not the cream of the crop but still a really very nice lens in the same price range as the others I listed: Kodak Cine Ektar 63/2 with a c-mount adapter.

V

Vivek

I think most SLR lenses in that size and speed wouldn't qualify as 'small', especially given their adapters. Some RF lenses might, and you could look into some C-mount/cine lenses as well since they're usually smaller.

You should also consider looking at 50's lenses for portrait work (55, 55, 57, etc.). On mFT cameras they end up being just about in the sweet spot for portrait work, and there's a whole bunch more choices for smaller fast lenses in that focal length range.

+1

I would add here- seriously look into a Fujinon-TV 50/1.4 (simple mod needed) or a Fujinon-TV 75/1.8 (no mods and straight fit on any decent c-mount adapter for the old version on eBay. They go for ~$150/each). Consider getting appropriately sized hoods with these lenses. Very important.

A slightly bigger Navitron (sold under many names) 75/1.3 (slight mod required and perhaps no mods needed on the new G2) with 58mm filter thread is perhaps one of the sharpest ever I have used on the m4/3rds. These are available new for ~$400/-. Worth every dime, IMO.

Jonas

To me it seems as the Voigtländer 75/2.4 is a given candidate. It rivals or betters the FA77/1.8 in all areas except of speed (yes, I have owned them all and I keep a rangefinder version of the CV75/2.4).

Vivek, do you have a source for th Navitron 75/1.3?

thank you,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Just did a google ("cctv 75mm") for you Jonas.

This is what I came up with :):

http://www.graftek.com/pages/navitarlensesffl.htm

DO-7513 75mm Fixed Focal Lenth Lens with Manual Focus and Iris, C-mount, 1in. format, F-stop: 1.3, Filter: 58mm, Pitch: 0.75 *Discontinued $200

I am sure these are floating around elsewhere as well. NIB.

Jonas

Just did a google ("cctv 75mm") for you Jonas.

This is what I came up with :):

http://www.graftek.com/pages/navitarlensesffl.htm

DO-7513 75mm Fixed Focal Lenth Lens with Manual Focus and Iris, C-mount, 1in. format, F-stop: 1.3, Filter: 58mm, Pitch: 0.75 *Discontinued $200

I am sure these are floating around elsewhere as well. NIB.
OK. Thank you for googling... ;)

The problem is that Graftek can't deliver the lens. I tried back in April and all I got was a mail were they recommended a replacement (GTKQ13088 which is a V7514 which is a Computar 75/1.4 for USD 369 and I don't know about its performance or if it is possible to mount).

So far my search for a Navitar 75/1.3 has given me nothing reasonable. I could try harder I guess.

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

This the exact lens (Navitar rebadged) I own/use:

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/SOF914029.html

What I don't have (and it makes no sense to me at all) is this (from Adorama's listing):

"WHAT’S IN THE BOX

Sofradir-EC (Electrophysics) L75F1.3 C-Mount Objective Lens - Two Quartz Objective Lenses - Sofradir-EC (Electrophysics) Warranty"

Stuart Richardson

I would also recommend the CV 75mm f/2.5. It is screwmount, so it has a short lens registration distance (which means the adapter is small), it is not large itself, and it is widely considered to give the Leica 75mm f/2 and f/1.4 a run for their money at similar apertures. And it is cheap -- just over 300 USD new. You can surely find one used for less. I would say that it fits your needs very well.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
- F2.8 or faster
- with Excellent IQ
- Less than $750

Currently I'm considering the Pentax 77mm F/1.8. It's fairly small and fast lens, but the adapter makes it bigger than what I hope to have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Pen F 70mm f/2

+ around 135mm-150mm eq. (70-85mm)
+ F2.8 or faster
+ with Excellent IQ
+ Less than $750
+ Mostly used for portraits

Perhaps not as small as a C-mount lens but the 70/2 meets all the other listed criteria. The adapter is small too, about the same depth as a Leica M adapter.

Jonas

Pen F 70mm f/2

+ around 135mm-150mm eq. (70-85mm)
+ F2.8 or faster
+ with Excellent IQ
+ Less than $750
+ Mostly used for portraits

Perhaps not as small as a C-mount lens but the 70/2 meets all the other listed criteria. The adapter is small too, about the same depth as a Leica M adapter.
I had a Pen 70/2 for a short period. It wasn't really to my taste as I found the contrast very low and it was also soft. I don't recall the details but it gave me an overall impression of being soft, simply put. Or my memory might be dim. Maybe it's good for a certain type of portraits, or renders images a way some like.

The difference to the CV75/2.5 is big. Here one needs to know what rendering style is preferred.

/Jonas

V

Vivek

"Soft"?! The 70/2? Where did find your sample, Jonas?:rolleyes:

G1, pen F 70/2, wide open.

Godfrey

- F2.8 or faster
- with Excellent IQ
- Less than $750

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
So you're looking for a 70-85mm lens. This is a wonderful telephoto range for FourThirds. Why confuse things with 35mm Equivalence stuff?

The Pentax FA77 Limited is a delightful lens, but pricey (now particularly ... it's much more than when I bought one). At nearly $800, I think it's way over-priced. When I bought mine in 2006, it was $600, and I thought that was pricey.

I am using a somewhat rare Olympus Pen F G.Zuiko 70mm f/2 on the G1. Very small, excellent imaging quality:

That's a B+W 49mm telephoto hood on a 43->49 step up ring. The lens cost me $415 last year, the adapter is about $60 IIRC. The lens is really very small and quite light. Olympus also made a 60mm f/1.5 which is beautiful, but even rarer than the 70/2.

I haven't found anything "soft" about it either ... although wide open it is just a touch soft at the edges. It does need a good deep hood ... 1960s lens coatings.

Panasonic G1 + Olympus Pen F 70mm f/2
ISO 100 @ f/2.8 @ 1/800 second

If you want a little longer, the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 is a superb performer and costs around $450. It's not as compact as either the Olympus Pen or Pentax, however. There's also the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 (sold under Vivitar and Bower names for Nikon mount) which is quite a good performer and only $350 new.

Last edited:

Jonas

"Soft"?! The 70/2? Where did find your sample, Jonas?:rolleyes:
I got it from an expensive and well known dealer located in SF, California, often referred to as expensive but great to deal with.

Compared to the CV75/2.5 (all versions) the Pen 70/2 (my copy) was soft, dull and lacked in contrast. I have heard the 60/1.5 is a gem though being contrasty and "sharp" also wide open and this as opposite to most other Pen F lenses. Hmm... who told me that?

It may be down to sample differences, I have used one of those Pen 70/2 lenses only and can't tell.

Jonas

(...) There's also the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 (sold under Vivitar and Bower names for Nikon mount) which is quite a good performer and only $350 new.
Have you seen any images taken with the Samyang 85/1.4 and a µ4/3 camera? I ask as I haven't. I have however used the lens with a 6DMkII and wide open it was on the limit. I wonder how it handles the µ4/3 pixel density?

Samyang is btw sold under more names. Here is a list, and I'm not sure it is complete: Samyang, Bower, Falcon, Polar, Rokinon, Sakar, Samyang, Vivitar Series 1 and Walimex (all 85/1.4). It is made at least for the Canon EF and Nikon mounts and somewhere I read they'll make a 4/3 mount version as well.

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Have you seen any images taken with the Samyang 85/1.4 and a µ4/3 camera? I ask as I haven't. I have however used the lens with a 6DMkII and wide open it was on the limit. I wonder how it handles the µ4/3 pixel density?

/Jonas

Neither have I seen any from you but Rafael (with some obscure screen name here) did show a shot of his better half. Fabulous.:thumbs:

That said, I would not want to hang a fat 85/1.4 on the m4/3rds. The 75/1.3 Navitar is (not that fat or long) is an exception to that. ;)

The pen F 70/2 does need a long hood without which flare will make the image look less contrasty. Sharpness, nevertheless, does not suffer though.

The 60/1.5 is delicious. I think it makes a better match to the NX10 (APS-C) than the G1 (4/3rds).

Jonas

(...)
The pen F 70/2 does need a long hood without which flare will make the image look less contrasty. Sharpness, nevertheless, does not suffer though.
I always use proper hoods (for flare protection but also as I use a satchel bag with the lenses standing up with their faces down. I don't use any front caps). There must have been another problem with the lens if the common opinion is that the Pen 70/2 is "sharp" and contrasty.

/Jonas

Godfrey

... There must have been another problem with the lens if the common opinion is that the Pen 70/2 is "sharp" and contrasty.
I think you're the only person I've come across who ever said they felt the 70/2 was anything other than very sharp, Jonas. It's not quite as contrasty as some lenses, but nothing that can't be easily dealt with. Kirk Tuck seems to like his too:

Regards the Samyang:

I saw some work done with the Samyang (Bower) 85/1.4 in Nikon F mount compared against the Zeiss 85/1.4 also Nikon F mount, both fitted to a Olympus E-3. I can't remember where it was. It impressed me as being remarkably good wide open against the Zeiss ... the comment, though, was that while they were pretty close wide open, the Zeiss improved much more when stopped down.

For $350, it's probably worth what you pay for it. The Nikon 85/1.8 is better ... excellent ... for $100 more. And I agree it's a biggish lump to fit on a Micro-FourThirds camera, just like the Summilux-D 25/1.4 ... but I still like what the Summilux does and use it anyway. I'd get the Nikon myself if I didn't already have the Oly Pen F 70/2.

shadzee

Thanks for all the comments.
So we have two candidates;
- Oly Pen 70/2
- Voigtländer 75/2.4

Sounds good. I'll do more research on the two. I guess the CV would be easier to find.