The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting up the E-PL1

simonclivehughes

I just picked up an E-PL1 to join my G1, GH1 and GF1. I'm going to use it almost exclusively with my CV 75mm f2.5 lens (although the 50mm f1.5 and 90mm f3.5 may see usage too) especially for the IBIS. I will be shooting Aperture mode and RAW (with jpeg to see how they are).

I'm new to Oly and so the whole menu phantasmagoria is a little daunting. I want to set the cam up to be a good quick people/street shooter.

I'd love to get some feedback from you Oly Pen users as to tip and tricks to set up the camera. I'm going through the manual with the camera, but any first-hand knowledge would be appreciated. :confused:

Cheers,

Terry

The first thing you need to do is enable everything important (which Oly hides). So you need to turn on the custom geared menu.

Audii-Dudii

At the risk of hijacking this thread and taking it in another direction, I'll be interested to learn your thoughts about how the E-PL1 compares to Panasonic's "three Musketeers."

I recently purchased one myself (specifically because it will do longer bulb exposures than any of my other m4/3 bodies) and was surprised to discover that for the subject matter I photograph, it has the best IQ of them all. Only very slightly in some instances, but clearly noticeable in others...

Alas, I don't really "like" the camera -- of them all, the GF1 provides the best user experience, IMO -- but in the end, it's the results that matter most, so I'm learning to live with it.

simonclivehughes

I kinda feel the same way at this point. The GF1 does feel better to use then the E-PL1, but then I've only just gotten it. The whole menu/GUI experience certainly seems more complex than it should/could be, but again, time will tell.

As mentioned, my prime reason for it is to use my fast M-mount lenses with IBIS and gain the added ISO performance as well. I was initially looking at the E-P2, but then this one was on special for $599 (Canada) and the reports seemed to sway it over. I have the VF2 on order and hope to get it soon. I much prefer using a viewfinder, even the shoddy one on the GF1.

Cheers,

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I kinda feel the same way at this point. The GF1 does feel better to use then the E-PL1, but then I've only just gotten it. The whole menu/GUI experience certainly seems more complex than it should/could be, but again, time will tell.

As mentioned, my prime reason for it is to use my fast M-mount lenses with IBIS and gain the added ISO performance as well. I was initially looking at the E-P2, but then this one was on special for $599 (Canada) and the reports seemed to sway it over. I have the VF2 on order and hope to get it soon. I much prefer using a viewfinder, even the shoddy one on the GF1.

Cheers,
Simon

Give it a bit of time. I bought my G1 a couple of years ago, and love it. I bought an E-P1 but needed and EVF (I found I could not use the LCD in bright sunlight) - so bought an E-P2. At first I had problems with those ***** menus and overall setup. But, once I had that under control, I found to the E-P2 to be the camera of choice. I took it and the G1 on a cruise with the Olympus 14-45 kit zoom, the Pana 45-200 and a few primes.

When I needed the big zoom, I found the G1 was a better choice - but for the small kit zooms and primes, the E-P2 was the favorite (I like the size, feel, weight of this camera - similar to a Leica or RD-1).

The fact is, that as long as Pana does not offer in body IS, I know I will always carry both brands.

Keith

simonclivehughes

Simon, take a look at this series for setting up the E-P2, and I'll be happy to answer any questions to help you set up the E-PL1 (I haven't made the series of videos for the E-PL1 yet)

Cheers

Brian
Brian,

Thanks for the tip, and for the tutorials. I had actually found them shortly after posting so I was able to get the camera set up nicely for this morning's shoot.

Keith was good enough to also PM me about your tutorials.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Simon

Give it a bit of time. I bought my G1 a couple of years ago, and love it. I bought an E-P1 but needed and EVF (I found I could not use the LCD in bright sunlight) - so bought an E-P2. At first I had problems with those ***** menus and overall setup. But, once I had that under control, I found to the E-P2 to be the camera of choice. I took it and the G1 on a cruise with the Olympus 14-45 kit zoom, the Pana 45-200 and a few primes.

When I needed the big zoom, I found the G1 was a better choice - but for the small kit zooms and primes, the E-P2 was the favorite (I like the size, feel, weight of this camera - similar to a Leica or RD-1).

The fact is, that as long as Pana does not offer in body IS, I know I will always carry both brands.

Keith
Keith,

Yes, I see your point and I agree that I'll just get used to using the two different OS' in the cameras. I especially agree about the comparison to the Leica M8 and R-D1 cameras... I had a pair of both, and loved them but in the end couldn't get the keep rate due to focus issues. Surprisingly, I have a great keep rate using MF lenses with the G's using the EVF!

I too had my all G's virtually as soon as they were available (BIG thanks to Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts), so I've got a lot of experience and handling usage from them. As mentioned, this is a targeted but to fulfill a niche usage.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Simon, take a look at this series for setting up the E-P2, and I'll be happy to answer any questions to help you set up the E-PL1 (I haven't made the series of videos for the E-PL1 yet)

Cheers

Brian
Brian,

One thing you might help with is that after setting up the two MyModes, I cannot seem to get that functionality on either the Function or Record buttons. Is there some trick to this? I am able to program those buttons for other things, but not the MyModes. :wtf:

Cheers,

Brian Mosley

Hi Simon,

there are two mymode slots, you save all current settings to a mymode slot by using either...

Cog Menu->B (BUTTON)->MY MODE SETUP->MY MODE1->SET

or :

Cog Menu->B (BUTTON)->MY MODE SETUP->MY MODE2->SET

Next, to select the My Mode set which will be activated by the Record/Fn button...

Cog Menu->B (BUTTON)->MY MODE SETUP->MY MODE1 <OK> YES

To assign MyMode to the Record button...

Cog Menu->B (BUTTON)->(Rec)FUNCTION->MY MODE

Finally, hold the Rec button down to activate the current My Mode set...

Does that make sense? it's more difficult to describe than to show in a video. I must get around to it soon.

Cheers

Brian

simonclivehughes

Brian,

OK, I see where I went wrong. I had assumed that assigning to a button would give a quick way to choose or toggle between 1 and 2. I see that it's actually one or t'other though, is that right?

Cheers,

Brian Mosley

Yes, I don't use the MyMode settings personally... I use the custom reset slots to bring the camera back to my preferred 'home' settings very often though.

Cheers

Brian