The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

panasonic firmware updates

Godfrey

... flash metering improvements

One area where the G1 has had some issues is in the implementation of TTL Auto flash metering with adapted manual lenses, so I was curious to test it and see what their stated "Improved modulation accuracy of flash" meant in this regard.

Prior to installing the v1.5 firmware update, with the camera on fw v1.4, I fitted the Konica 40/1.8 lens and Olympus FL36 flash unit. I set the flash unit to TTL Auto - Manual Zoom, 42mm zoom setting. I made eight exposures of two scenes: a modestly lit living room and a dark kitchen. Each set of four exposures was made in Manual mode at 1/125 second: ISO 100@f/1.8, ISO100@f/8, ISO800@f/1.8 and ISO 800@f/8.

I did similar sequences with the Lumix G 20mm lens.

I then did the update and checked that the body was running Firmware v1.5, made the same sequence of photos again.

Results: the G1's firmware 1.5 exposures are much more consistent than the firmware v1.4 exposures. The v1.4 exposures with the Konica lens range from on the money to a couple of stops off, all the v1.5 exposures range in a small variation around a third of a stop or less. With the Lumix G lens, the results are noticeably more even as well (although they never varied by as much as with the adapted lens).

This is an excellent improvement: TTL auto metering is much more usable with the adapted lenses now.

simonclivehughes

They never said they'd add that to the G1/GH1. It might not be possible on these bodies' hardware.
They might not have said so, but it'd make things a damn sight easier for us legacy lens users. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be possible. These days, almost every camera control is firmware adjustable in some fashion or another.

Cheers,

Diane B

I suppose this would depend on hand/finger size, but someone over on LL forum about a year ago suggested using a thumb roll from left button to okay as you bring the camera to your eye. I found that worked for me--not quite a one button click like my GF1, but its become pretty seamless for me after doing it for a year. YMMV, as I said--thumb/hand size might not make it feel 'right' but thought I would throw it out.

Diane

simonclivehughes

I've also been doing that Diane, but a properly implemented solution (as they've already demonstrated on the GF1) would be preferable.

Cheers,

B

bcostin

The one-touch MF assist would be very nice. Given what can already be changed with the buttons I doubt there'd be any hardware issues involved. Maybe a Panasonic equivalent of the incredible Canon CHDK firmware hack will appear, someday.

The one feature that would really make me happy (lots of other people too) is a user-configurable minimum shutter speed for tweaking the Auto ISO curve. The camera's default of 1/30th with a legacy lens is just too darn slow. The little LX3 has had this option for years, so Panasonic obviously understands the utility of this feature. Oh well.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
They might not have said so, but it'd make things a damn sight easier for us legacy lens users. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be possible. These days, almost every camera control is firmware adjustable in some fashion or another.

Cheers,
Hey Simon

I find that "roll your thumb around two buttons" so natural that I don't want anything else.

Keith

Godfrey

I find the complaining sadly typical. Instead of praising Panasonic for continuing development and improving functionality with a new firmware update, on a discontinued model too, the response is ".. they didn't do what I wanted ..." without any real understanding of whether or not it's even possible or not.

Every feature on the camera has to be supported by both hardware and software that drives its operation. I have no idea whether the click-dial switch is re-programmable to do the one-touch MF Assist like the one on the GF1 does, and neither does anyone else on this forum.

I have no problem using the left-arrow/menu-button operation for MF Assist. I use it on both the G1 and the L1, and its as natural an action to me as anything else.

I'd have been happier if they could implement AF support for the rest of my SLR lenses (like they did on the G2/G10) but I don't know whether that's actually possible on the G1/GH1/GF1 either. I tend to doubt it because from all observations, Panasonic is trying their best to provide things that their customers would like to have. ;-)

V

Vivek

Re: ... flash metering improvements

The v1.4 exposures with the Konica lens range from on the money to a couple of stops off, all the v1.5 exposures range in a small variation around a third of a stop or less.

This is an excellent improvement: TTL auto metering is much more usable with the adapted lenses now.
That is what I was referring to in one of the threads.

Glad that Pana did something about it.:thumbs:

simonclivehughes

I find the complaining sadly typical. Instead of praising Panasonic for continuing development and improving functionality with a new firmware update, on a discontinued model too, the response is ".. they didn't do what I wanted ..." without any real understanding of whether or not it's even possible or not.

Every feature on the camera has to be supported by both hardware and software that drives its operation. I have no idea whether the click-dial switch is re-programmable to do the one-touch MF Assist like the one on the GF1 does, and neither does anyone else on this forum.

I have no problem using the left-arrow/menu-button operation for MF Assist. I use it on both the G1 and the L1, and its as natural an action to me as anything else.

I'd have been happier if they could implement AF support for the rest of my SLR lenses (like they did on the G2/G10) but I don't know whether that's actually possible on the G1/GH1/GF1 either. I tend to doubt it because from all observations, Panasonic is trying their best to provide things that their customers would like to have. ;-)
Godfrey,

Sorry for giving you heartburn over this, but come on, where it is already implemented on the GF1, I still think it could be done on the G1/GH1. We already know that the switches are microprocessor controlled, they have to be... they're sure as hell not linked mechanically. That being the case, the firmware would be able to address the switch's function to whatever keypress or sequence of keypresses the firmware is written for.

The fact that Panny hasn't done so doesn't mean they can't. This isn't as much complaining as providing feedback as to what we would like their products to do. Personally, I feel that the ability to do this on the GF1 was direct result of "complaints" about the current implementation on the G1/GH1.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

Simon,

I never complained about the lack of "one touch" thingy and I use mostly manual focus lenses ( i don't strive to take fuzzy photos either).

If the one touch thing is implemented, it would make the manual focusing not only more accurate but faster than any AF mode, IMO.

Wouldn't that make all the system lenses redundant? :rolleyes:

Godfrey

Godfrey, did you also try the in-built flash with the Konica lens?
I never use the built-in flash so didn't think to compare it between fw 1.4 and fw 1.5. But I just shot off about a dozen exposures from f/1.8 to f/22 at ISO 100 and ISO 800 ... seems to be quite usable now, it's pretty consistent. I could see the flash output scale up as I closed down the aperture, etc.

G

grum

Can anyone confirm if these updates prevent third party batteries from working?

I'd have been happier if they could implement AF support for the rest of my SLR lenses (like they did on the G2/G10)
Also, I didn't pick up on this improvement for the G2/G10 - so will they autofocus all 4/3 lenses now with the adapter?

Last edited:

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Sorry for giving you heartburn over this, but come on, where it is already implemented on the GF1, I still think it could be done on the G1/GH1. We already know that the switches are microprocessor controlled, they have to be... they're sure as hell not linked mechanically. That being the case, the firmware would be able to address the switch's function to whatever keypress or sequence of keypresses the firmware is written for.

The fact that Panny hasn't done so doesn't mean they can't. This isn't as much complaining as providing feedback as to what we would like their products to do. Personally, I feel that the ability to do this on the GF1 was direct result of "complaints" about the current implementation on the G1/GH1.

Cheers,
Again, the critical phrase in your rumination is "... I still think it could be done ...". And this ... "That being the case, the firmware would be able to address the switch's function to whatever keypress or sequence of keypresses the firmware is written for." ... is patently false.

You do not know whether the switches are linked to their functions in a way that can allow this different behavior, and cannot unless you dismantle the camera, instrument the switches and logic, and run a pile of tests to understand how the switch is wired and how the logic works. Everything else you're saying is conjecture and an expression of your frustrated desire.

I don't have heartburn over your statements. I just think they're typical of most of what I read in these enthusiast forums, and that's sad to me. Personally, I'm delighted they care enough to update and enhance this nice, discontinued camera that I've been using for a year and a half. I'll find the improvements in TTL flash metering very useful, even if nothing else is substantively changed.

Thank you, Panasonic.

Jonas

I never use the built-in flash so didn't think to compare it between fw 1.4 and fw 1.5. But I just shot off about a dozen exposures from f/1.8 to f/22 at ISO 100 and ISO 800 ... seems to be quite usable now, it's pretty consistent. I could see the flash output scale up as I closed down the aperture, etc.
I don't use it either, but mainly because it has been everything but consistent. This is good news. What I hope for is a reasonably reliable function in emergency situations, maybe even as some extra light when shooting against a bright background (I have forgotten the English word for this).

I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks,

/Jonas

Godfrey

Can anyone confirm if these updates prevent third party batteries from working?
The big watershed for battery compatibility was firmware rev 1.3 for the G1. Since then, it hasn't changed. One person who uses the batteries supplied by BestBatt.com reported that his batteries worked fine. Another person, using some other third party batteries, said his would no longer function.

So it depends on which third party batteries you use. I currently have two Panasonic batteries, and I'll buy another one or two from BestBatt.com most likely when next I go traveling with the G1.