The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Roman ceilings

Michiel Schierbeek

These were all shot with the G1 and kitlens (traveling light) without trypod.
Done with the selftimer and the camera on its back straightened by a guidebook of Rome which had just the right thickness.
It is a bit much but I thought it is nice to view them as a serie.

Cheers, Michiel

- Pantheon -

- Sant'Ignazio - ( 17e century Trompe l'oeil by Andreo Pozzo )

- Santa Maria in Trastevere - (12e century)

- Santa Maria in Trastevere - (12e century)

- Palazzo Valentini - (not sure)

- San Pietro -

Rich M

Michiel -

These are FANTASTIC. A few years ago, I planned a three week trip to Italy. Since I was pretty familiar with areas to the north, I decided to fly into Rome and head south.

I never left Rome. Each day I would find a new church, garden or museum and end up transfixed. Your photos evoke those memories. One of my particular favorites was Santa Maria in Trastevere, a church so unassuming from the street and filled with such grandeur.

Thanks for sharing.

R

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel -

These are FANTASTIC. A few years ago, I planned a three week trip to Italy. Since I was pretty familiar with areas to the north, I decided to fly into Rome and head south.

I never left Rome. Each day I would find a new church, garden or museum and end up transfixed. Your photos evoke those memories. One of my particular favorites was Santa Maria in Trastevere, a church so unassuming from the street and filled with such grandeur.

Thanks for sharing.

R
Thank you Rich, :)

Santa Maria in Trastevere was indeed my favourite church to visit.
Very old, they say the first RK church after the Romans in Rome.
Very pure and special. I am not a religous man but the love for art and architecture made possible by this believe at the time is just amazing.
It gives a very crossroad feeling of different cultures meeting.
Rome, I want to go back, it was too short.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Keith,

As you mentioned in our favourite thread the food in Rome is also outstanding and don't forget the coffee!
You walk into a bar/restaurant on Piazza Venezia, order a cappucino at the counter and the man makes you this! And it tasts like heaven. :angel:

Thanks for your reaction.

Michiel

- Two cappucino -

Jonas

That's a nice expose of ceilings. Your own favourites... are they #4-6?
Thanks for showing us,

Jonas

Michiel Schierbeek

That's a nice expose of ceilings. Your own favourites... are they #4-6?
Thanks for showing us,

Jonas
Thank you Jonas.
Of this serie # 4 and 6 are my favourites. I would have liked it to be #1 because the Pantheon is such an ingredible masterpeace of architectural plainess - just put a sphere on a cilinder and leave a hole in the middle -, but the photograph is a little dull.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Something else I found out, to some may be nothing new, was the fact that you can use the flipout sreen as a tripod for photographs in portrait mode.

Stands as a nice triangle flipped out at around 45 degrees.
You can even leave your hand under the flipped out screen to get the angle a little lower. All with the selftimer, of course.
In many of those places tripods are just not allowed, so you got to be inventive :cool:

Here are two photographs using this method. The screenpod method :D

Cheers, Michiel