The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 9-18 is TINY!

A

Allan Ostling

I've had the 9-18mm for only two days, and have hardly had a chance to take into the field on my E-P2. But your mention of the 52mm filter mount spurred me to action. I attached a 52mm Nikon 4T close-up lens, and got this photo at f=9mm, manually focusing from a distance of not much more than an inch or two. The "bush" is actually only three inches tall.

Last edited:

PeterB666

I received mine yesterday from Japan. What a ripper little lens.

A couple of photos at 9mm and 18mm unedited except for a minor crop off the bottom. Both shots are 13 seconds at f/8.0 and ISO200. Obviously nightime shots!

Much less flare than from my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 shooting the same scene and the detail is outstanding. This is a cracker of a lens.

pellicle

Peter

I received mine yesterday from Japan. What a ripper little lens.

A couple of photos at 9mm and 18mm unedited except for a minor crop off the bottom. Both shots are 13 seconds at f/8.0 and ISO200. Obviously nightime shots!
nice shots, I'm expecting that the lens will be every bit as good as the 9-18 4/3 Olympus lens (which I used to own) and that is a great lens.

I'd be interested to see how well it looks when focusing on a smaller subject close and showing lots of background. That was an area where I felt let down by it as the boke wasn't to my taste ...

Much less flare than from my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 shooting the same scene and the detail is outstanding. This is a cracker of a lens.
careful, almost sounds like you're saying that the Pana 20mm isn't gods gift to lenses ... that just won't do in some circles :toocool:

:)

K

Kiri

Please keep posting pictures with the 9-18 lens. I am very interested in this lens, but am also considering the 7-14 from panasonic. I've seen some great images with the 7-14, but not so much with the 9-18 yet. But of course it is too new so... more pictures please :)

V

Vivek

careful, almost sounds like you're saying that the Pana 20mm isn't gods gift to lenses ...
Actually, compared to the sorry 14-42 Oly-D (if anyone has one of these, put the lens cap on and shoot, you will find that the pathetic excuse of the telescoping, out of control lens barrel isn't even light proof!), the 20/1.7 (or any Pana lenses for that matter) are worth their weight in gold.

I wonder if Olympus managed to make this lens less out of control and more light proof than that the 14-42 (they list that thing for ~250 Euros! :shocked:).

PeterB666

Kiama Rock Pool a few minutes "first light" (when I should have still been asleap). The EXIF details have been stuffed up in this thanks to the new Olympus Viewer 2 software.

This shot was taken around 6:10 am this morning. First light was at 6:18.

Shot at the 9mm end for 15 seconds at f/11 and ISO100.

Annna T

Please keep posting pictures with the 9-18 lens. I am very interested in this lens, but am also considering the 7-14 from panasonic. I've seen some great images with the 7-14, but not so much with the 9-18 yet. But of course it is too new so... more pictures please :)
I have it (the 7-14mm), because I was too impatient to wait for an hypothetic Olympus one and well, it is more cumbersome and it has a lot of flare. But it is light and sharp. The flare can be really noyous, preventing you to shoot the scene you want, even when the light isn't directly in the frame. May be that I got a bad sample.

PeterB666

They are nowhere to be found, even Olympus doesn't have one.
I got mine from Japan via an eBay seller. They are still not available locally (Australia), I checked on Tuesday just out of interest to find out what the local pricing was but the camera shop had no detals from Olympus.