The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Ep-1/2 4/3 lens adapter question.

peterb

If you use the super high grade Olympus 4/3s Zuiko lenses on either EP-1 or EP2 with the adapter do those lenses still have AF function? Or do you have to focus them manually like on the Panasonic G's.

Panasonic had a table on their website for the G1,GH1 and GF1 that told you which lenses would still be able to AF (very few) and which did not.

I was thinking that since the EP-1 and EP-2 WERE Olympus cameras the possibility that most or ALL of the superb Zuiko 4/3's lenses would be fully compatible AF-wise is good.

Godfrey

Yes Olympus E-Px AF with all the FT SLR lenses used on the adapter. Some work better than others but all work.

Panasonic G2/G10 now achieve almost the same AF compatibility.

Doesn't really matter to me much. I use all my FT SLR lenses on the G1, just focus manually.

Peter Klein

I was disappointed about no AF with my standard 4/3 lenses, both of which predate the compatibility with contrast AF. But, I quickly discovered that my old Zuiko digital 40-150 f/3.5-4.5 is very easy to focus manually. Especially with the MF magnify function, but even without out it. I won't be taking any action shots with it, but it does fine.

I'm using a G1, so it doesn't have IS either, but that's why we have things like monopods, beanbags and fence posts. Or even walls to lean against. :D

Moral of the story: If you like a lens, use it. See how it works for the kinds of photos you take. The limitations on paper may not be as bad as the marketing department wishes you to believe.

--Peter