The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

Terry

I have little interest in putting my big ol' Alpha lenses on the NEX for normal use. It's two completely different types of cameras.
No either do I BUT I can see using it on a tripod when I want to have two bodies and don't want a second A900. Can't really see using it with my big lenses any other way. However, I can see it with my 24-105.

Brian Mosley

Every reviewer I've seen that touched it says the Sony IQ is very good. With most saying the best so far.
Is it possible they're focusing on high iso IQ? I'm asking for pointers to low iso shots which show the lens quality - which so far hasn't looked that sparkling in the samples I've seen.

Cheers

Brian

Terry

Is it possible they're focusing on high iso IQ? I'm asking for pointers to low iso shots which show the lens quality - which so far hasn't looked that sparkling in the samples I've seen.

Cheers

Brian
Here is one from Imaging Resource
Sony NEX-5 Image Quality
Though I wouldn't say the Sony NEX-5 blows all the other cameras out of the water, it certainly does better at more elements in our Still Life target than any of the cameras we set it against. For the price, the Sony NEX cameras are the new quality leaders.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

I just got home from a trip and have to pack to get out of town again in the AM. I will look for the other links that I saw last night.

Photomorgana

didn't seem to put a dent in the sales of the E-P1 ... even with a silly price tag

Well, E-P1 was a unique camera, pretty much first of a kind (G1 aside) with unique retro design that was equally attractive to both amatures and pro's alike.

Sony - is a bit different animal. It looks like a toy and it has no decent optics (for now, hopefully Zeiss will do something) unlike those choices Oly-Pana-Leica has (and will have even more in the near future)
Will it sell? Sure it will, Best Buy and other mainstream consumer electronic stores will move them easily. Will it become a classic camera like GRD, E1, D2, E-P...? - I don't think so. (just my opinion based on the pix I've seen)

The other question is - What is the flange distance of the Sony E-mount?
Based on pictures I've seen it looks kinda short. Maybe even less than 20mm (just look at image below, looks almost close to 15mm, could be exciting feature)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/znex5phantom_1200.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

Isn't a short flange distance better? This way you can use more lenses as there is room to adapt them to the proper distance. If the distance is to big is when you are in trouble. The other dimension that is supposed to be very good is the opening which is wide enough to accommodate a lot of lenses. This is something that the Samsung apparently didn't do in their design and it knocked out a lot of lenses from being compatible.

Photomorgana

Isn't a short flange distance better? This way you can use more lenses as there is room to adapt them to the proper distance. If the distance is to big is when you are in trouble. The other dimension that is supposed to be very good is the opening which is wide enough to accommodate a lot of lenses. This is something that the Samsung apparently didn't do in their design and it knocked out a lot of lenses from being compatible.
Yes, short flange distance is good. My word "exCiting" was missing a "C" (what a difference it makes) :) but now its corrected.

If the overall depth of the body is 40mm, than looks like the mount protrusion should be around 9-10mm, and the sensor does not seem to be too deep after that (maybe another 7-9mm inside) Mount diameter looks also pretty wide, so no problem there. It will beat Samsung in this regard. But Oly looks way cooler.
No matter what, I think competition is great.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
LCD cameras are useless in bright sun, and with f/2.8 speed it wiLL be a killer in low light situations :)
Strap on a Hoodman and they actually can work ok. I know - it looks kind of stupid.

The new Sony basically straps a sensor on a lens. Looks very weird but is intriguing.

pgmj

It won't matter how small the camera is if the lenses are big. I can't really see a 24mm EFOV lens as a "walk around" lens either.

GF1+20/1,7 still looks like the best compact compromise to me.

Brian Mosley

Here is one from Imaging Resource
Sony NEX-5 Image Quality
Though I wouldn't say the Sony NEX-5 blows all the other cameras out of the water, it certainly does better at more elements in our Still Life target than any of the cameras we set it against. For the price, the Sony NEX cameras are the new quality leaders.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

I just got home from a trip and have to pack to get out of town again in the AM. I will look for the other links that I saw last night.
Those are the images I've seen... poor lens quality.

If you see anything decent, I'd appreciate any links :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

This NEX3/5 thingies, I consider them as APS-C digital backs (I do see some use for them). I would not be excited about the lenses just like anything Olympus churns out for the m4/3rds.

G1 is a camera. NX10 less so...

IMO, only one brand seems to know how to make an useful camera/lenses and that is Panasonic.

If only they can emulate Samsung in bringing out useful flashes...

Brian Mosley

This NEX3/5 thingies, I consider them as APS-C digital backs (I do see some use for them). I would not be excited about the lenses just like anything Olympus churns out for the m4/3rds.
I'm waiting for SHG lenses for m4/3rds too... but the imaging resource comparisons show the NEX lenses are shocking - the E-PL1 + kit lens outclasses them :wtf:

The Samsung NX at least has a half decent pancake lens for APS-C... maybe the problem for Sony is down to the ultra short registration distance?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I would wait till I can see how the lens (I don't care about the zooms) is put together.

The NX10 30/2 is a heliar type design. Unlike the Pana 20/1.7/G1 (for visible), the NX10 sensor could use better lenses. The NX10 sensor is very sharp (unlike some review outfit claimed). The pen F 40/1.4, in particular, makes that cam sing. Having a slow lens (f/2.8) is no joy. It is quite clear that Sony went for the 16/2.8 to be different from Samsung and the m4/3rds. Their idea of wide attachments, while a welcome thought, are not likely to be impressive. I do not have a good impression of Sony's wide attachments (even for video).

Anyway, with such high pixel density cams, hand-held shooting isn't going to give a true measure of what they are capable of.

Pat Donnelly

Registration distance is 18mm according to another site.

Competition is good but the interface looks too simplified, although the size is spot on! With a bigger sensor, the same lens for FF or m4/3 will give different results! Very affordable.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Won't there be a problem with such a short registration distance... in terms of the angle of incidence of light hitting the sensor?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Won't there be a problem with such a short registration distance... in terms of the angle of incidence of light hitting the sensor?

Cheers

Brian
That is a Leica specific problem. :cool:

I use lenses (non Leica) with shorter BFL on my G1s. No problems.

Brian Mosley

Are you talking about FF lenses?

The Sony R1 had an extremely short distance from rear lens element to sensor - so I can believe this is something which could be overcome... but no sign of it yet with the Sony lenses for release with the NEX.

Cheers

Brian

Terry

Are you talking about FF lenses?

The Sony R1 had an extremely short distance from rear lens element to sensor - so I can believe this is something which could be overcome... but no sign of it yet with the Sony lenses for release with the NEX.

Cheers

Brian
The issue I see on the NEX lens used in the Imaging Resource tests is in the extreme corners. The Leica lenses on m4/3 had problems much further into the frame.

Amin

The NEX 16mm lens looks pretty rough in the periphery of the frame in the samples shown on this page. At f/5.6, I'd expect sharpness to be maintained beyond the central 50% of the image, and it doesn't look to be the case. It appears to do well at f/8 though.

On second thought, maybe they got a bum lens?? The IR samples at f/6.3 look pretty decent.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

They are all the same, I would think. One was shot under overcast conditions and shows unpleasant CA and other problems.

The other was shot under gentle sunny conditions. Even "lens babies" will look nice, stopped down, under such lighting.

The 16/2.8 isn't impressive but at least it is unlikely to be built like the Olympus lenses for m4/3rds (nothing can top that).