The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

RichA

LCD cameras are useless in bright sun, and with f/2.8 speed it wiLL be a killer in low light situations :)
I was the first to say I wouldn't sell a G1 for a GF1 or a EP-1 because of that, but the Sony is so small (just think of a micro 4/3rds in a 3" long housing, that is essentially what Sony has done, the 16mm lens is smaller than Olympus's 17mm and it supports an APS sensor) I can forgive the lack of EVF, but maybe not a provision to add one later.

G

grum

Looks pretty cool but I won't be trading in for one. It's too ugly :)

Also is missing a few key features imo.

Godfrey

APS sensor, smaller than GF1, plastic OR metal bodies, metal-bodied lens and a dirt-cheap price!! Astonishing. They will sell boatloads. Watch out, micro 4/3rds.
No interest to me.

Micro-FourThirds is a great complement to my FourThirds SLR kit and I share all the lenses between them. The Sony NEX doesn't share any lenses with what I have, and it will take a long time for Sony to come up with lenses on par with what I have already, not to mention the cost.

I also think the control layout is truly awful-point&shoot-stuff.

Terry

Not too decent, E-PL1 looks sharper and clearer to me.

Looking forward to some decent real world samples, everything I've seen so far sucks big time.

I need Jono Slack to get his hands on one ;)

Cheers

Brian
Every reviewer I've seen that touched it says the Sony IQ is very good. With most saying the best so far.

Terry

No interest to me.

Micro-FourThirds is a great complement to my FourThirds SLR kit and I share all the lenses between them. The Sony NEX doesn't share any lenses with what I have, and it will take a long time for Sony to come up with lenses on par with what I have already, not to mention the cost.

I also think the control layout is truly awful-point&shoot-stuff.
Yeah control layout might suck we shall see but I do have lenses for it that can be shared with my A900 including the tiny but excellent 24-105.

peterb

With an adapter you can even use the Zeiss lenses from the Alpha DSLRs (although they're subject to the usual APS-C crop factor). I wonder if Zeiss will make a nice juicy compact lens just for this camera in the wide arena. That would be sweet.

Tim

On the subject of the size of the Sony I think it only fair to measure it size as from the thickest part of the handle and the tallest from the protruding lens mount.

My reasoning is that any cases that you get will have to accommodate at least that and plus some for the lens that you have attached. So while it appears tiny in its minimum dimensions, its the thicker parts you have to consider.

As for lenses, we can only hope there are more to come. Looking at Sony's current lens lineup would have me stick with my GF1. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 has not been equaled by Sony yet. :rolleyes:

RichA

Not too decent, E-PL1 looks sharper and clearer to me.

Looking forward to some decent real world samples, everything I've seen so far sucks big time.

I need Jono Slack to get his hands on one ;)

Cheers

Brian
I've owned a few 4/3rds cameras and agree that Olympus has produced some astounding lenses, particularly when it comes to edge quality. But nothing from the Olympus micro 4/3rds realm has been staggeringly good, none match my Nikon 16-85mm zoom. So, you are left with adapting 4/3rds lenses, which is a satisfactory solution.

D

DavidB

Nice to see a mirror-less body with a bigger sensor than 4/3, but everything else about the designs just turns me off. I'm obviously not their target market!

One observation I have not yet seen any reviewers make:

The two announced zooms have optical stabilisation in-lens: the body doesn't have stabilisation. Folks with a stable of lenses from Minolta/Alpha SLRs will be used to having the body provide the stabilisation, which they won't get when they hook them up to a NEX body.

sagar

I think that's overall strategy olympus may be thinking of for the long run.

Update 4/3 lenses and m4/3 cameras so eventually they work as good as native m4/3 lenses. Eventually I think you will have consumer grade m4/3 lenses and pro 4/3 lenses with 4/3 and m4/3 bodies getting merged into one line.

Else I can not think of any other reason why olympus would not come out with better m4/3 lenses which is core strength of their system.

I've owned a few 4/3rds cameras and agree that Olympus has produced some astounding lenses, particularly when it comes to edge quality. But nothing from the Olympus micro 4/3rds realm has been staggeringly good, none match my Nikon 16-85mm zoom. So, you are left with adapting 4/3rds lenses, which is a satisfactory solution.

douglasf13

I have little interest in putting my big ol' Alpha lenses on the NEX for normal use. It's two completely different types of cameras.

bradhusick

This was my first digital camera in 1999 - 2.11 megapixels, 5x optical zoom, USB, -50 +90 degree rotating Lens, No Viewfinder, Aperture range F2.8 - F3.3, LCD 2 ", LCD Dots 123,000............look familiar in any way?

back to the future...

Last edited: