The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

V

Vivek

I did not miss your point that is why I pointed out it to be wrong.

douglasf13

Vivek, any guesses on how 35mm M lenses might perform on the NEX as a standard lens? Do you think we'll be safe from problems on the edges?

Godfrey

Vivek,

You miss the point entirely, but I'm not wasting time trying to educate you any longer.

D

dazedproductions

when I got into micro four thirds I was looking for a small complimentary system to my D3 covering 35, 85 and 180mm at fast apertures. Micro four thirds has allowed small lenses but I think APS-C is a better size sensor for me. I won't be moving from my EP2 though as physical buttons, viewfinder and optical stabilisation are all important.

When someone brings out a camera the size of the EP2 with just as many physical buttons/dials, built in EVF and better ISO performance then I will move. Competition is good but the Sony is not there yet for me.

V

Vivek

Vivek,

You miss the point entirely, but I'm not wasting time trying to educate you any longer.
Oh, thank you!

I am educated correctly.

Only now I remember a thread on p.net where you were coming up with the same stuff. Get your facts right for goodness sake!

V

Vivek

Vivek, any guesses on how 35mm M lenses might perform on the NEX as a standard lens? Do you think we'll be safe from problems on the edges?
Douglas, It would not be any different than how they perform on an Epson R-D1s (I used to have one but traded that in for a spectrometer), although, with higher pixel density and all that, it is difficult to make a prediction.

I will check how my few LTM/M mount lenses do on the NX10 and report back.

RichA

Vivek,

Doesn't matter. Part of your argument concerned difficulties with close lens-sensor planes and mechanical considerations which of course was not true.
You can easily have a bayonet mount and position a lens to touch a sensor, if need be.

Godfrey

Oh, thank you!

I am educated correctly.

Only now I remember a thread on p.net where you were coming up with the same stuff. Get your facts right for goodness sake!
I doubt that.

I recall several threads on p.net where you are just as adamantly obnoxious as you're being now, refusing to see the point of others' statements there too.

Godfrey

Doesn't matter. Part of your argument concerned difficulties with close lens-sensor planes and mechanical considerations which of course was not true.
You can easily have a bayonet mount and position a lens to touch a sensor, if need be.
Only if you want it to be broken frequently. There's a shutter in the way, or had you forgotten that?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I think this Sony Camera has the personality of a "concrete block"

Photographers want personality, as defined by looks, weight, size, and of course, performance. A Leica has a really nice personality, so does the Oly E-P2 and the Pano G series - and the Canon S90.

A camera that uses an LCD to compose the shot can only be used consistently in a very few parts of the world - or elsewhere, when the weather is right. We all know that, but I'm surprised that few people acknowledge it.

Micro 4/3 now has traction. I have two cameras, five native lenses, and a gazillion legacy lenses (by legacy I mean manual lenses from the distant past, from a large variety of manufacturers) and the adapters to serve them. I'm not going to switch to this Sony system. Why would I buy it in addition to my m4/3 stuff - no reason at all. There are lots of alternatives for small cameras with APS sensors, that don't force you into the "system" way of thinking.

In terms of IQ, the difference between APS and m4/3 is for the pixel peepers.

I am just waiting for someone like Pentax to put their stamp on the m4/3 success, to give me some more choice.

Keith

Diane B

I can see it for Sony shooters though as a little backup to tuck in like I do my GF1 with my 5D (though that isn't even as reasonable as I rarely use same lenses on both of my cameras, the Canon EF and the m4/3rds)--sometimes the EF 45 TS or maybe the 90 f/2.8 macro, though I can as long as I have an EF body to change aperture--but its still nice to have a backup that takes virtually no room.

Diane

seakayaker

I think this Sony Camera has the personality of a "concrete block"

Keith
I have enjoyed a lot of comments throughout this thread and thought the discussion certainly had some good point's being made and counter points that followed . . . . .

The comment above by Keith summed it up best for me, "I think this Sony Camera has the personality of a "concrete block"."

. . . . . after looking at the pictures of the camera on DPReview my impression is that the camera is just plain ugly.

This is JMHO and do not wish to offend anyone. Just another choice, like the cars we drive, or the people we choose to share our lives with. What works for some just turns others off.

If the Sony camera is what floats your boat then I will look forward to seeing you out there on the street using it.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

kahren

if this nex with m mount lens performs better then my e-pl1 i am pretty sure i am buying one. its that simple for me :)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Amongst other things I dislike about the NEX cameras, aside from the lens problem and control ergonomics which look hopeless to me for any serious shooting, is the complete lack of any eye level viewfinder, standard accessory shoe or flash connection.

I could see one of these with the flip-out screen and ultra-zoom lens as a waist-level only camera, but why I'd spend the money for that when I have other cameras that are just as good at it while being more versatile is a question I can't answer yet.
Believe it or not, there actually is an OVF available for the 16mm lens.
It must attach via the flash unit's socket, eh? Another completely non-standard item... unusable in any other context.
I was pleasantly surprised by the NEX-5's tilt-out screen, APS-C sensor, and 18mm flange distance -- enough to seriously consider buying one. My favorite camera of all time was a Hasselblad 500 C/M with a waist-level finder -- an NEX-5 on a tripod could be used (like Panasonic's G1/G2/GH cams) in a similar way.

But as soon as I read about the ergonomic problems associated with its primarily menu-driven interface and then realized one could only use the dinky accessory flash, I immediately lost interest.

Hopefully, the NEX-7 or NEX-9 will have better manual controls and the ability to connect off-camera flash units. If there is a flash shoe I desire, no doubt it will use Sony's proprietary contacts, but there are adapters to get around that problem.

Howard

One thing is for sure the camera manufacturers producing EVIL cameras are not standing still. Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung, Ricoh and Sony have products in planning that will resolve some of the issues raised and are intent on improving the cameras so we will part with our hard earned money and buy. The next version from Sony may have an EVF and a hot shoe and improved ergonomics. The next small EVIL cameras from Panasonic and Olympus may have have improved sensors, and EVF and be smaller and lighter. Samsung may enhance its EVIL camera. Ricoh is adding lens and maybe that will catch on. Competition is great for innovation and pricing.

V

Vivek

Ah, you are able to mount M lenses on your Samsung? Cool.
No, the M mount can not go inside the NX10 mount. While the LTM lenses can be seated inside the mount.

CV-15/4.5 will not achieve infinity. Only close focus distances (~40cm). Already, the C-V 15/4.5 is considered as not a "regular" Leica design lens.

40/2 Rokkor and 50/0.95 (M-mount) appear to give very very sharp projections, albeit at close focus distances.

V

Vivek

Rich, Weird a$$ arguments based on incorrect thinking leads to such proclamations. Looking up some basic texts would be helpful.

I use several lenses on the G1 which almost hit the baffle. Are they projecting the light perpendicular to the sensor plane on axis? Yes, as all lenses do. What happens to the off axis rays is another question.;)

I have used the C-V 15/4.5 (among others) on Nikon DSLRs using a relay system I built. This system allows me to use such lenses from infinity to closer distances. That is a telecentric set-up as well.

jonoslack

I need Jono Slack to get his hands on one ;)

Cheers

Brian
Sorry Brian!
I looked at those shiny silver lenses, and thought . . . . MUST HAVE ONE. Then I thought about it a bit more:

1. menus for everything - even mode selection :eek:
2. the body is tiny - but the lenses are bigger than m4/3:shocked:
3. no in body stabilisation (so good for M lenses on EP2) :thumbdown:
4. pancake lens 24mm (lovely but not JUST 24mm) :sleep006:
5. no EVF (not that I love them, but useful, yes) :wtf:

So, it isn't really smaller, it won't be so easy to use - early evidence suggests that the lenses aren't as good as the panasonic or Oly.

Personally, I don't want a larger sensor - I've got FF if I want limited depth of field, the lovely thing about m4/3 is that it's a perfect compromise between dof and dof (especially for macro).

The only obvious advantage is better high ISO - and personally I'd rather use an M9 with a fast lens in low light.

So, interesting and cute as it definitely is, I won't be leaping out to get one!

all the best

Brian Mosley

:D I'm not too surprised Jono, but do you still have your A900? won't your Sony dealer loan you one? :cool:

Actually, don't bother - I've just looked at the samples on dpreview and the IQ is mediocre at best. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Brian

Last edited: