The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experience with a Fujinon 25/0.85?

V

Vivek

There were a few mention of the CF25L (Fujinon-TV 25/0.85) a while ago.

Has anyone tried to actually use it? Any info?

TIA.

Notwithstanding a collection of (~6 by last count)f/0.95 lenses (one of which actually badged f/0.85) I picked one of these up recently (offered new in the box) and should reach me in a few days.

V

Vivek

Obviously, it can be mounted on a c-mount adapter. Just how close/far it would focus without hitting the baffle (this is after fitting it "properly" in a c-mount) in a G1/GH1 could be the limitation.

kds315

I haven't done "surgery" yet, still on my "to do" list so I can't tell yet...

I just got a Kowa 1.1/37.5mm which will be due next.

kahren

i think the protruding part on the .85 fuji will hit the baffles inside the camera, it seems that there is another .25 of an inch sticking out passed the c mount threads. again this is from the pictures i saw online and from measuring distance after the c mount threads on my c mount to m43 adapter. so i don't think its possible without hacking the camera up internally. i wonder if enough material can be shaved on the lens to make it just fit.

Photomorgana

There were a few mention of the CF25L (Fujinon-TV 25/0.85) a while ago.

Has anyone tried to actually use it? Any info?

TIA.

Notwithstanding a collection of (~6 by last count)f/0.95 lenses (one of which actually badged f/0.85) I picked one of these up recently (offered new in the box) and should reach me in a few days.

I've had one a year ago and sold it. I remember that after playing with it for a few days I came to a conclusion that it will not work even with surgery. I think, back element was sticking out by 10mm past the flange. (something like this). But even if camera buffel is completely removed, such close proximity to the sensor will render lens almost unusable, with horrible distortion and smudged corners.

V

Vivek

But even if camera buffel is completely removed, such close proximity to the sensor will render lens almost unusable, with horrible distortion and smudged corners.

Now that you have sold the lens we would not know that, would we?;)

I do not disagree with you there. I have a few lenses with 0.75 apertures with similar short back focal lengths that project very fuzzy images.

Many such lenses were made to be used with a (custom made for for a particular lens) curved fiber optic face plate.

Photomorgana

Many such lenses were made to be used with a (custom made for for a particular lens) curved fiber optic face plate.

I think Olympus is going to introduce "curved sensors" on E-P3 model ;)

Another application for most of those extreme (f0.75 - f0.95) lenses was Surveillance. They were used at night on cctv cameras with tiny sensors (like 1/3" etc). So the image was not all that distorted and smudged. (there was not much of a quality concern there, when you looking at the feed at 350-lines cctv monitors)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The f/0.75 lenses (that I mentioned) were from X-ray/phosphor screen captures. Their sensors had the matching fiber optic face plates.

The Fujinon-TV 25/0.85 (now discontinued but there is another current one (43/0.85)that is integrated into a Luminescent analyzer- see: http://www.fujifilm.de/media/science/las3000mini_brochure.pdf), though intended for surveillance, has been used for many scientific purposes including astro photography and spectral work.

I did pass on the CF50L (50mmf/0.7) though. Had I known the impending EP-3 and curved sensors..;):D

V

Vivek

Flex sensors are rumored about and would become reality some day just like flex key boards. I would not be holding my breath for those or the Ep-3. ;)

I do have a purpose for the CF25L.

V

Vivek

Thanks.:) Will keep that in mind and if I think of any possibilities for that (~2mm back focus?), will get in touch with you.

V

Vivek

Well, I have it in my hands. Gorgeous piece of glass! :)

What no one has mentioned ever (that I know of) is the image circle it projects (even at ~5cm focus distance).

~10mm.

So, anyone thinking of buying it for use by simple adaptations on an m4/3rds, be aware.

That said, this is a dream lens for tinkerers. :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Here is a typical shot at f/0.85 on a G1. Without a mount, the lens allows for a bit more coverage (the rear hits the baffle and does not allow for infinity focus).

Reversed, it is all one big boket with odd shaped highlights. :ROTFL: