The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Example images with Fotodiox shift lens adapter

leuallen

These examples were taken with a Fotodiox EOS shift adapter and various lenses.

Although at first glance the images may look like they were cropped from the 4/3 format they were not. Two or three images were taken, shifting the camera body for each image. The lens is stationary and mounted to the tripod via the tripod mount on the EOS adapter. This gives overlapping images which are then stitched using Photoshop CS4. By keeping the lens stationary and shifting the body, parallax error is eliminated. You get seamless stitches of both near and far objects. The stitching process is very easy and using the adapter is simple.

The advantage of stitching vs cropping is that you get much higher resolution. The long panos are about 24mb, roughly 3000 x 8000px.

Larry

V

Vivek

Lovely images!

Couldn't you have made them without the said shift adapter?

leuallen

Vivek,

Sure! Use a wider lens if you have one, then crop to the proportions. You will end up with about an 8mb file or less. Fine for snapshots or small enlargements. With the shift you end up with a 24mb file, quite a bit larger. You have a more detailed image that is capable of large enlargements. Since my output is to print rather than web viewing this makes a difference to me.

Since the adapter is about the same size and weight of other adapters, I use it as my standard adapter. When an image presents itself just screaming for the pano format, I have to do nothing special equipment wise, just shift and shoot.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

Larry

D

dbloewen

Vivek,

Sure! Use a wider lens if you have one, then crop to the proportions. You will end up with about an 8mb file or less. Fine for snapshots or small enlargements. With the shift you end up with a 24mb file, quite a bit larger. You have a more detailed image that is capable of large enlargements. Since my output is to print rather than web viewing this makes a difference to me.

Since the adapter is about the same size and weight of other adapters, I use it as my standard adapter. When an image presents itself just screaming for the pano format, I have to do nothing special equipment wise, just shift and shoot.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

Larry
Awesome pictures! I've been tempted to purchase the adapter myself in a nikon to m43 mount. I hope I haven't over looked the obvious, but which lens are you using. Thank you

Dave

leuallen

To get what you want you must use the EOS adapter and then a Nikon to EOS adapter. I have that setup for my Nikor 105mm 2.5. Works well.

My go to lenses are a Tamron 90mm 2.5 macro and a Tokina 100-300mm 4.0.

Trees taken with Minolta 135mm 2.8. This is on a Minolta MD adapter, not the EOS. I have both.

Tulips I think was Tokina at 300mm, I don't take notes and there is no EXIF. I love this lens for its bokeh and compression of the background.

Lake and vineyard was with 50mm 1.5 Pentax. Very sharp.

Field was with Tokina, maybe 200 to 300mm. This scene is was taken 20 yards away from the vineyard camera position and 180 degrees rotation within minutes of each other.

Blue flowers was Tamron macro.

Iris buds was with OM 50mm 3.5 macro.

Old barn was with OM 85mm 2.0.

That makes for a very large and heavy backpack. That plus a large heavy tripod with a Manfrotto 410 geared head (almost essential for macros and great for panos), means that I work close to the car. I am too old, 70, to carry that stuff on an expedition.

The flowers are taken in my and my neighbors yards. Here I use lots of stuff that I keep in my garage and drag out when I see good light and a nice flower. I use two to three lightstands with assorted reflectors, scrims, and gobos. The white reflector and black gobo sometimes get pressed into duty as a background although I try to go natural when possible. I light the white background with a flash shooting through, triggered with radio slaves. Since it is very difficult to get an even white, I often have to extract the flowers from the background and use a near white layer in its place using Photoshop. The extractions are easy and very accurate because of the original white background.

I often have to take 30 to 50 images of a setup to get what I want. There are so many variables: the flowers move in the wind spoiling composition or focus. The light may change rapidly due to clouds. And then I take many variations with focus, background intensity (flash), reflector position and so on.

Larry

D

dbloewen

Larry
Thank you for your reply. Sounds like your carrying quite a heavy setup. I was thinking in the line of my Nikon 50 f1.8 or 105 f2.8 macro. Fotodiox sells a nikon to micro4/3 shift lens adapter.
Dave

D

dbloewen

To get what you want you must use the EOS adapter and then a Nikon to EOS adapter. I have that setup for my Nikor 105mm 2.5. Works well.

My go to lenses are a Tamron 90mm 2.5 macro and a Tokina 100-300mm 4.0.

Trees taken with Minolta 135mm 2.8. This is on a Minolta MD adapter, not the EOS. I have both.

Tulips I think was Tokina at 300mm, I don't take notes and there is no EXIF. I love this lens for its bokeh and compression of the background.

Lake and vineyard was with 50mm 1.5 Pentax. Very sharp.

Field was with Tokina, maybe 200 to 300mm. This scene is was taken 20 yards away from the vineyard camera position and 180 degrees rotation within minutes of each other.

Blue flowers was Tamron macro.

Iris buds was with OM 50mm 3.5 macro.

Old barn was with OM 85mm 2.0.

That makes for a very large and heavy backpack. That plus a large heavy tripod with a Manfrotto 410 geared head (almost essential for macros and great for panos), means that I work close to the car. I am too old, 70, to carry that stuff on an expedition.

The flowers are taken in my and my neighbors yards. Here I use lots of stuff that I keep in my garage and drag out when I see good light and a nice flower. I use two to three lightstands with assorted reflectors, scrims, and gobos. The white reflector and black gobo sometimes get pressed into duty as a background although I try to go natural when possible. I light the white background with a flash shooting through, triggered with radio slaves. Since it is very difficult to get an even white, I often have to extract the flowers from the background and use a near white layer in its place using Photoshop. The extractions are easy and very accurate because of the original white background.

I often have to take 30 to 50 images of a setup to get what I want. There are so many variables: the flowers move in the wind spoiling composition or focus. The light may change rapidly due to clouds. And then I take many variations with focus, background intensity (flash), reflector position and so on.

Larry
I guess if one persists long enough one generally answers one's own questions. The Fotodiox web site does not immediately bring up the advantage of the EOS adapter for its ability to accommodate other manufactures lenses via additional adapter modules. It's clear as mud now:confused:

Dave

leuallen

Looks like they have added some adapters, there were only four when I got mine.

The EOS mount is the one to get. It is thin enough to take adapters for other mounts. The Nikon mount is too thick so no other adapters will work with it. The mounts to attach to the EOS adapter are not very expensive. Using the EOS mount you can have Nikon, Pentax, OM, and Leica.

Don't buy from Fotodiox website directly. Find their ebay listing or Amazon and it is cheaper.

Larry

D

dbloewen

Larry
Thank you for your help and sorry for my initial confusion. Your discussion in dpreview was most helpful also.
Dave

V

Vivek

Larry, You can use the shift adapter or shift the whole set-up, shoot and stitch.

Whatever suits you..;)

The samples you posted are a visual treat. Thanks for sharing!:)

leuallen

Vivek,

I do both. The adapter method of fixing the lens and moving the camera has advantages for close up work since there is no parallax error and absolute registration is assured.

Larry

V

Vivek

Simon, Even if such a contraption is sold, why would you waste your money on that?

4/3rds lenses cover the same are as the m4/3rds lenses. They would not allow for much movements.

simonclivehughes

Simon, Even if such a contraption is sold, why would you waste your money on that?

4/3rds lenses cover the same are as the m4/3rds lenses. They would not allow for much movements.
Ah, sorry Vivek, evidently the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet! :confused:

Ciao,

leuallen

Camera was a Pana G1. Must have the EV for critical focusing and checking results. Use the tilt LCD after setup while waiting for light (darting clouds!), composition (Wind! moves flowers), and for exposure changes.

Usually iso100 raw. AWB corrected in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Always a heavy tripod with a geared head.

Larry