The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the longest effective focal length you own, show us a shot !

bensonga

Still looking for my non-AI 300mm f4. I'm about ready to give up and buy one of the excellent 300mm f4.5 ED IF AIS lenses that can be had for a few hundred dollars now.
Gary
I decided to buy one of these lenses and it arrived this morning. I gave it a quick test during my break for lunch. Here's one of the first shots (no extra sharpening applied). Hand held at about 1/1250th sec, f5.6. This lens is much easier to handle than the Nikkor 180mm f2.8. At an effective focal length of 600mm, I'm expecting it will be sharper on a tripod....but I'm impressed with it thus far.

Gary

f6cvalkyrie

I'm impressed, Gary ! Handholding a 300mm lens and coming home with sharp pics :thumbs:

No way I could dream of that with my 300/2.8 IF-ED :cry:

C U,
Rafael

biglouis

What a great thread. Too many good shots to comment on except perhaps the awesome moon shot by Rich.

Keep meaning to give my Elmarit 90/2.8 a spin on the GF-1, must try to do that this weekend.

LouisB

slau

Canon 500f4IS + 1.4X ~ 1400mm on my GH1. Tripod mounted with Sidekick & with MF assistance. The eagle was just at a perfect distance to fill the 16:9 frame:

photoSmart42

I posted this in the other thread, but I might as well post it here as well.

Panasonic GH1 + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 @210mm

leuallen

Bensonga et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
Still looking for my non-AI 300mm f4. I'm about ready to give up and buy one of the excellent 300mm f4.5 ED IF AIS lenses that can be had for a few hundred dollars now.
Gary

You guys better stop showing these nice lenses. I bought the Nikon 300mm 4.5 ED IF by mistake on Ebay. I saw a nice one that was ending in about 30sec and had a price of about $247. Heck, I'd give $250 for that I thought so I placed a bid for a little over $250, never expecting it to go for that. Sure I'd be greatly outbid but I won at $248!

It came today and is mint. Even the tripod collar has no scratches on the base. I love the close focusing. Here is a close flower picture I took while testing. I think it was at 5.6.

I did some PS work on the pic, removing some distracting hotspots in the background. Opps! Wrong picture. This is the one with the hotspots. But you get the idea.

Larry

Last edited:

bensonga

Bensonga et al
You guys better stop showing these nice lenses. I bought the Nikon 300mm 4.5 ED IF by mistake on Ebay. I saw a nice one that was ending in about 30sec and had a price of about $247. Heck, I'd give $250 for that I thought so I placed a bid for a little over $250, never expecting it to go for that. Sure I'd be greatly outbid but I won at $248!

It came today and is mint. Even the tripod collar has no scratches on the base. I love the close focusing. Here is a close flower picture I took while testing. I think it was at 5.6.

I did some PS work on the pic, removing some distracting hotspots in the background. Opps! Wrong picture. This is the one with the hotspots. But you get the idea.

Larry
Great find Larry! I think I saw that one on eBay, but it was after I had already purchased mine. That was a real bargain. It's a terrific lens and very managable on the m4/3 bodies.

Gary

JGH

Re: 2000mm f8 effective

WOW...!!!!!!!:bugeyes:
What a fantastic shot. I want to be able to take shots like this but cannot afford a 2000mm lens.
Can you see the lunar modules with that lens? lol :clap:

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

here's a moonshot I made tonight with my newly acquired Meade 1000mm f11 Mirror Lens.

iso200 1/125 full image as captured

C U,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

here's another capture with the MEADE 1000/11 mirror lens.
It's a very soft lens, difficult to focus ...

Have a nice day,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

I recently acquired a Zoomar (ex-Kilfitt) Sport-Zoomatar 600/5.6 in M42 mount.

Mounted it on a bellows unit, to shoot some "long distance close-ups" :D

It's a lens I will have to get used to, but very promising as yet !

C U
Rafael

RichA

I recently acquired a Zoomar (ex-Kilfitt) Sport-Zoomatar 600/5.6 in M42 mount.

C U
Rafael
Those are actually very good shots for that kind of focal length. One good thing about short focus capability, no heatwave-related distortion, like with long-range shots. However, if people do attempt close-in shots with long telephotos, stopping down is mandated because of the potential for increased spherical aberration close-in.

R. Bowman

American Goldfinch, taken with Panasonic Lumix GH1 with Canon New FD 400m f/4 lens and Novoflex adapter, ISO 400, f/8, 1/400 sec., on tripod

f6cvalkyrie

heatwave-related distortion
Hi Richard,

thanks for commenting and mentioning one possible cause of image deterioration, being the atmospheric conditions.
To test if this influences my kind of shooting, I shot a short video of (virtually) immobile trees (there was some wind, but nothing really bothering) and checked for rendition.

The video is here :

atmospheric - YouTube

Especially in the 2nd part (after 30 seconds), when I shot a massive tree that definitely wasn't moving, shows that you were right pinpointing that effect.

Shooting distance was something like 40m

C U,
Rafael

A

Ante_CRO

All nice photos!
Here is my two photos with GH2 + Lumix 100-300mm

300mm, iso320, f/6,3

300mm, iso160, f/5,6

Tesselator

It's actually a 1000mm f8.0 telescope I put together for about $300.00. Works pretty well.
Same here but f/5.5 Newtonian Reflector. I don't know what equivalent length it works out to but the moon just barely fits in frame shooting straight up (no eyepiece).

My longest camera lens is 500mm. I have 3 or 4 which are 500mm - so 1,000mm equiv or 2,000mm equiv with a 2X doubler.

I can't decide which I like best. The Tamron SP 55BB Tele-Macro mirror is the most handy by far. And pretty dang sharp too! Here's some shots with it:

The Jupiter one there is a 100% crop and most of these are hand-held or resting on a knee. All of these were shot with the GH1.

Last edited: