The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sun Sniper Strap

Has anyone experience of these?

http://www.sun-sniper.de/index.php?id=sun_sniper_strap0&L=1

Two things appeal.

First is that it is suggested that it can be worn, without the shoulder pad, under a jacket. For me it would be nice to go to a party, or gathering, with my camera less obvious for everyone to see. It would never be hidden - just less conspicuous.

Second is that they make one with a steel insert and that must give added protection when walking around 'looking like a tourist'.

Tony
G1 owner in London UK

Redford01

It looks promising, but the website does not seem to have any way to order the product. I tried the "order now" and all I get is a screen saying that I have nothing in my cart.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I tried to put it in the cart to see what the price is and there was an error message. It looks like they don't have all of the kinks out of the web site.
It looks similar to the Y strap. I really like the Y strap concept, but have always been leery of putting my G1 on it ever since I heard about lug failures. This strap has the advantage of hooking onto the tripod mount. I'm just not sure if I would trust that or not, either. I'd be interested to hear a report from someone who has tried it.

biglouis

There is an interesting thread over at the Leica forum about the dangers of falling with a camera trapped between your back and the ground (in response to the best way of travelling with a camera when on a bike). The consensus is there is a danger to the spinal cord in this way. Not saying it is a serious issue if you are walking but one small drawback to the system. I also wonder if the tripod mount is designed to take the weight of the camera. Seems dodgy to me.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I had the Y strap. It's a great idea but the camera kept turning around as it was hanging.
As your walking, the camera kinda swings and pivots against your body....
not again......I gave it away....

"Make your own for less. One climbing loop, one small carabiner, one split ring."

Fantastic.

Have you time to give us the URL's where we can find them?

Tony

"but the website does not seem to have any way to order the product. "

Click on 'Shop' in the left hand list of options and that seems to work.

Tony

Sorry, Brad,

I also should have said thank you. To your list I assume one would need to add something that locks into the tripod bush and provides a ring into which your split ring fits.

Tony

M

mco_970

Tony,

On the Sunsniper site, they have a link on the RHS of the page that shows how to make a DIY version... Pictures and everything. :)

mco,

Thanks. I have just had a look. How generous!

Apart from the obvious a key difference is in hooking on to an existing strap lug rather than the tripod bush (which the proper version does). How the camera hangs will make quite a difference.

As I said at the top I like the idea of having a G1 and pancake almost hidden under an open jacket. I do a lot of social photography at a nearby club and it would be nice if people were less aware that I had a camera to hand.

Tony

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have a small plate with an inlet for hooking on a strap. It screws into the tripod bush. I am not keen on just hanging from that, though. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to secure the lug and the tripod bush (I'm anal). I really don't trust either alone.

bradhusick

I have made two of these and hang the Leica M8 / M9 from one strap lug. I have never had any problems. I don't hang from trees with this, I just use it like a neck strap except slung over one shoulder.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have made two of these and hang the Leica M8 / M9 from one strap lug. I have never had any problems. I don't hang from trees with this, I just use it like a neck strap except slung over one shoulder.
Brad, I agree, I would not hesitate to hang my Leicas. I do hesitate with the G1. There has been a lot of concern about the flimsy lugs pulling out. The G1 itself is not a biggie, but I wouldn't want some of my lenses taking a fall.

The parts that you pointed to for us look nice and sturdy and I'm anxious to give your strap a try.

Mine has arrived and I am convinced I will be happy with it.

G1 fixed via the tripod bush.

With a pancake it will be inconspicuous under a jacket.

Tony