The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it impossible to get good jpegs from G1/GF1?

sagar

Is Panasonic jpeg engine on G1/GF1 really as bad as perceived on the internet forums? If yes, is there a way to get decent jpegs through custom settings?

I do use RAW but taking even casual snaps in RAW would be bit too much for me. So looking for feedback/suggestions.

Godfrey

Is Panasonic jpeg engine on G1/GF1 really as bad as perceived on the internet forums? If yes, is there a way to get decent jpegs through custom settings?

I do use RAW but taking even casual snaps in RAW would be bit too much for me. So looking for feedback/suggestions.
Of course it is possible to get excellent JPEGs from these cameras.

Experiment until you learn what settings do what you like. That's all.

K

Kiri

I wouldn't say they are bad. Its just that a lot of people compare them to the olympus ones, which are very highly regarded.

Helena

I had a G1 and my biggest problem was white balance. It often made the colors too blue and magenta for my taste.

You can tweak the White Balance settings in the camera though. I made mine more green (=less red/magenta) and more yellow (=less blue/warmer). To put the camera on "Cloudy" white balance helps too. This worked pretty well most of the time, but sometimes the colors still were completely wrong and had to be changed afterwards. After a few months I got tired of it and sold the camera.

I should add that I'm very picky with colors, maybe more than most other people, because I'm an artist/illustrator and work with colors all day long.

With RAW it's not a problem, but I didn't want to do RAW with this camera since it was supposed to be my "snapshot" camera.

Terry

As said the colors can be tweaked to taste in camera but don't overlook B&W.
Panasonic's Dynamic B&W setting is superb and a lot of times I can't improve upon the jpegs.

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh...my EPL-1 jpgs m@ke everything look like a happy daze in Hawaii; and the file it generates to do that is larger than the concurrent raw data. Everyone knows a purple iris is more pleasing to the eye when rendered in cerulean blue...:)

T

taphapy

I have a little problem with purple (too much red) but that's all I can see. That doesn't mean there's not other problems, just that I haven't noticed!

V

Vivek

If the EPL-1 shows purple color, consider it a cheaper alternate to the Leica M8 (G1 is not useful for IR).

May be it will be useful for IR?

On the original question- as noted by others before, I suppose, it is possible to to play around with the many variables the cams offer to produce what would be acceptable. This also gives you a chance to familiarize yourself with the camera menus.

pellicle

I believe little of the stuff that passes for information on some of the "foaming at the mouth" forums. I don't like AWB, and thus balance myself ... having said that even shooting in AWB and doing mild tweaks in photoshop won't cause posterisation that will be observable.

let me ask you a question ... are you unhappy with the JPG's from your G1/GF1?

This set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pellicle/sets/72157623003446585/

are all JPG sourced

wjlapier

I shoot jpg all the time unless I'm shooting indoor sports under cycling lights. Then I shoot raw. I prefer the colors out of camera from my GF1 compared to my Nikon D2Hs. I like the jpgs from the GF1 and until now haven't seen a reason to switch to raw.

RichA

Get Lightroom and leave inferior JPEGs behind forever. Use raw exclusively.

pellicle

Hi

I notice that despite your provocative title, and follow through with:
despite me providing some answers to your question, you still have not addressed my question of:
let me ask you a question ... are you unhappy with the JPG's from your G1/GF1?
nor provided any further specifics on what it is (apart from your readings of the "forums") which makes it impossible to get good JPG's from the camera?

was it a genuine question, do you yourself have any issues with the JPG's from the camera or was it just a quick stir of the pot?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have both my regular GF1 and IR GF1 set to capture both RAW and jpeg simultaneously. Often I just grab an in-camera jpeg and dowrez it for posting in the forum threads. Of course if we're sharing prints at the quarterly local GetDPI get-togethers, then I'll work up the raw for print :D