The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the Best Raw Developer?

barjohn

For those that are interested, Alpha Numerique took a raw image of a color test chart starting at ISO 800 to ISO 12800 from a Sony A550 and illustrates the output from 10 RAW developers: 1. LR3, 2. DXO, 3. Bibble, 4. Capture One, 5. Aperture, 6. IDC, 7. ACDSEE 8. SilkyPix, 9. Light Zone and 10. DCRaw.

I will let you draw your own conclusion but mine seemed to match theirs. http://www.alpha-numerique.fr/index...ony-alpha-550&catid=70:comparatifs&Itemid=321

Last edited:

Tim

barjohn,

you have a forum loop going here, your link just opens your post over and over! :confused:

Tim

Tim

Interesting set of results, I can't read French - not much, so I dont really know what is going on but I assume these are all auto settings or some kind of normalised settings. For me, I like Lightroom at the lower ISOs but prefer DxO at higher here. Could the others match this or is this some kind of test of the noise and sharpness software engines?

photoSmart42

Makes me wish I wasn't so frustrated from trying to use LR... To Godfrey's point, I've been getting great results from using Camera Raw with Photoshop. Tired of fighting with LR.

ustein

Contributing Editor
If I read: "the" Best Raw Developer? I usually run for shelter :) because it depends on a so many factors:

1. Camera
2. ISo
3. Testing methodology
4. Personal taste
5. Image subject
6. Use of the resulting images
7. Workflow
n. Moon :)

Lets assume developer X produces the best images on the planet (whatever that means). But it is so slow that you need a lot of coffee to bare the workflow. Then I take developer Y which may produce slightly less quality (again what is that) and is 5x faster.

>The best raw developer is the one you have and know how to use expertly.

Yes!

barjohn

I too favored the results I saw from DXO; however, LR3 was pretty close. While it is true that there are many variables to look at, including the camera selected for the test, I was surprised at the large range of results when it comes to noise reduction while still maintaining detail. Interestingly it matches my own experience using LR3, Capture 1, Bibble Pro and DXO. I keep all of those applications on my iMac plus PS CS3. I find myself consistently picking one of those depending on noise and color. I don't find it that difficult to switch between the various applications as they all pretty much operate the same way.

Tim

The best raw developer is the one you have and know how to use expertly.
I couldnt agree more, for me for some reason LR seems to gel. I am a bit confused and concerned though that with some developers they don't seem to do WSIWIG very well. The live view does not seem to match the jpg output for some reason - has anyone else experienced this?

Also i find if I try to RAW edit during the day the results are different than if I edit at night, the daylight reflecting onto the monitor seems to wash out the visual screen detail.

m3photo

ACR 6. If you haven't tried it you're in for a pleasant surprise, unless you like noise of course ... ;)