The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C-mount adapters

V

Vivek

After having settled on a few most used c-mount lenses, I have semi permanently fixed them to their respective adapters.

So, now I find myself out of any c-mount adapters. I did order a few (one among them a Hawk adapter).

While doing so, I find that there a dozen or more vendors (eBay) with prices that are wildly variable. Some of them have descriptions (and pics) that look exactly like Hawk or RJ adapters.

So, I seeking experiences among the forum folks as to the quality and prices of these.

Criteria being:

1. Does the adapter you use work?

2. What is the cheapest one that is still usable?

TIA!

M

mjohnston

I got the Kipon from Photo Gear Etc. for $32. Great price - they're an official distributor.

photoSmart42

I use the Kipon one as well. It's a two-piece design which may be an advantage to what you're trying to do, and it's quite thin, so it adapts a larger range of lenses and/or minimizes the machining required to make lenses fit.

As an alternative, you can use m4/3 body caps to make make-shift adapters for your lenses using the epoxy solution. I've started experimenting with that solution (made a m4/3-to-FD adapter) successfully, so I'm encouraged that I could use that for my C-mount lenses as well.

V

Vivek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120556786064

shipment for me still pending - looks like an HAWK. Cheapest ever
seen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250627539821 Got 2 of those working fine - for the smaller barrels, if Lens doesn't need machining

Good luck
Same here (the first link). Not sure it is a Hawk adapter clone.

The second link (the same seller or something similar) sucks. The one I got was c-mount as well as m42. For both it is not useful. I added a Leitz focus thingy using the m42 threads to use some macro lenses.

Just for clarification- I have been using c-mount adapters since the very first one showed up- that being from Wolfgang Rabe. This is way before Hawk's adapter (which was the first affordable one) hit the markets.

I was a bit surprised to find c-mount adapters ranging from $9 to $65 and upwards being sold currently.

Hence the inquiry.

Thanks for everyone for their responses!

apicius9

My favorite has been the Hawk C5 type one so far. That one is rather thin which is helpful for the lenses with the focus ring very close to the adaptor.

Vivek, I hope you don't mind if I add a question here: Are there any good ones out there that rotate so that you can get the focus scale on top or - more importantly - get them right when using a lens with tripod mount or bellows? Thanks,

Stefan

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I like the fotodiox adapters - I ordered 5 recently and they all look good (c-mount,Oly Pen, and Canon FD)

I also purchased an Exakta to m4/3 from Rainbowimaging (Ebay) - it also is good, and very quick delivery

I try to steer a mid ground between low cost and quality.

Keith

kds315

Just a word on the RJ adaptor (jinfinance) - that stopscrew he uses gets loose and I just had the nasty experience that one screw disappeared WITHIN my GH1 after it was first stuck under the lens release lever!! I told him that just to hear that "no-one yet complained". A time-bomb I would say!

And then it also turned out that my batch (ca 10 I bought from him for my various lenses) also had a problem with a not deep enough groove for that lens lock pin, so the camera reports "lens not properly mounted" and refuses to work.

They will be sent back to him for exchange, so I'm also looking for better ones which work for infinity (some don't) and have secure lock screws or sth else!

Anyone else had that??

V

Vivek

No such worries at all!

I bought one when it showed up and had problem with infinity with a lens (turned out the adapter was OK) and when I said that to Rong Jin, he sent me a trimmed adapter.

I paid full price for the adapter.

Not sure if you negotiated and bought at any "bulk prices".

kds315

Rong Jin has modified them a bit, this is why they are blank aluminum inside, since some 1/10th were trimmed off. Infinity is fine now. BUT my concerns were these little stop screws on the side which need to be secured (a drop of screw-lock Loctite would help)

V

Vivek

Hawk's latest version c-mount adapter appears to be the best by far. :thumbs: The RJ adapter isn't bad either.

The cheap one with pics and dimensions copied from Hawk's adapter are crap. They don't even mount on a G1 snugly.:thumbdown:

There is a chrome plated brass adapter being sold for ~$30. This is useless as the rear is also shiny metallic.

Jonas

Hawk's latest version c-mount adapter appears to be the best by far. :thumbs: The RJ adapter isn't bad either.
And Hawk's latest, is that the

C5 type TV Bolex C mount to M4/3 M43 Micro 4/3 G1 GH1 or the
TV Bolex W1 C to M4/3 Micro 4/3 (ROBOT OLYMPUS PEN)

I guess you are thinking of the C5? Among the different C-mount --> µ4/3 adapters I have the Kipon one is also good and similar to Hawk's C5.

V

Vivek

C5 type TV Bolex C mount to M4/3 M43 Micro 4/3 G1 GH1
That is the one. I bought it directly from him.

As far as I know this is the only c-mount adapter that has a 1mm "step". This allows for mounting some lenses (with infinity focus) that are difficult with any other c-mount adapter out there.

E

edlamps

I have read so much but am still confused! I have a couple of cheap c-mount lenses for my GF1 and an RJ adapter.

With both lenses focused to infinity they focus to less than 6".

I really would rather buy a new adapter than start machining these lenses. Also, this is all just a test for me before I splash out on a nice Switar or Soligor or similar. Do you think the Kipon adapter would suit me better? Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited:
V

Vivek

There are no m4/3rds to c-mount adapters that will permit those lenses (that you show) to reach infinity.

If you want to use these lenses as is, get a NEX to c-mount adapter and use them on a Sony NEx cam.

Pat Donnelly

Edlamps

Hi!
I suspect these are not C-mount lenses but are CS mount lenses. Vendors seldom differentiate. They focus 5mm shorter than the C mount lenses. Great for macro! But 5mm will mean a lot of Dremel work!!! Probably not feasible at all?

Sorry to bring bad news?

E

edlamps

Vivek and Pat, thank you so much.

It is bad news - and I'm saddened and embarrassed to have been duped not once but twice!

So you think they're CS-mount lenses? This is a new one on me. I won't be able to lie on ebay when I re-sell them, but I do wonder if they're of any use to anybody...

They weren't so expensive, about £40 down the drain but your replies at least give me some hope for when I have saved up enough for a decent lens.

Cheers!