The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5

Terry

It's been in their lens roadmap for quite a while. With you, I'm not completely sure of the target.

I've seen some really interesting video work with a fisheye. This lens might be targeted towards the new video camera that will use m4/3 lenses.

V

Vivek

Love to have one of those along with the rumored 14mm lens but for half the suggested price.

EDIT:

I see everyone (myself included) is bothered about the price. I am not sure about if I really should be complaining about that (ie pricing) or not. :confused:

I like the rear gel filter holder (similar to the Nikon 10.5 fisheye which is a superb piece of glass). This allows for IR shooting with hacked cams.

Last edited:

Diane B

Definite no for me. I just sold my EF 15 f/2.8 FE for my 5D because I almost never shot with it any longer. I have the Lensbaby FE for a fun fisheye-ish lens when the mood strikes. Not that I don't think there are some great FE shots out there but I found it a very niche lens for me. Actually I bought it a good while ago to get wider in APS-c body with defishing before wider lens were available so guess I never was that interested in it for FE only.

ggibson

Looks cute, but they must be kidding with an $800 price tag. I think you're right, Terry; this probably will mostly appeal to those who want it for video.

greypilgrim

I have shot with the nikon 10.5mm fisheye and really enjoyed it. There are some fascinating things you can do with it. But I have to agree, the price is silly.

Doug

Godfrey

Some people love to shoot with fish-eye lenses.

$800 for a pro-grade performing fish-eye lens isn't out of the ballpark. Particularly when it's the smallest/lightest lens in the category you can buy, can take filters, etc etc.

Whinging and whining about prices is so droll. ]'-)

Godfrey

Running around policing the forums for any naysayers, of your beloved camera brand, seems rather droll to me.:)
LOL ! Who's doing any policing? I have no authority to police anything here. Nor is Panasonic a "beloved camera brand", nor do I have any interest whatever in buying another fish-eye lens (had several, never used them much, have another nice one in the drawer anyway).

I'm just offering my opinion, like anyone else might. Are you so sensitive about this sacred blathering about price that you have to make a thing of it?

CPWarner

It would be nice if they would actually ship the stuff they announced months ago. Waiting on the G2. Might pick up a G1 if they take much longer. B&H says that they looking for delivery in June.

greypilgrim

Some people love to shoot with fish-eye lenses.

$800 for a pro-grade performing fish-eye lens isn't out of the ballpark. Particularly when it's the smallest/lightest lens in the category you can buy, can take filters, etc etc.

Whinging and whining about prices is so droll. ]'-)
I suppose you might be correct. I was just comparing it to the Nikkor mentally which can be had for less ($655 at BH for example). Whether the Panny fish holds up the Nikkor or not, who knows; although I suspect that there are good odds it will be a quality lens like the 7-14.

And for the record, I love to shoot with a fish eye :)...

Doug

Godfrey

I suppose you might be correct. I was just comparing it to the Nikkor mentally which can be had for less ($655 at BH for example). Whether the Panny fish holds up the Nikkor or not, who knows; although I suspect that there are good odds it will be a quality lens like the 7-14.

And for the record, I love to shoot with a fish eye :)...

Doug
Doug,

The $655 price for the AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED is a gray import street price. The US distributor price, at street discount offered by B&H, is $698. Nikon USA lists the MSRP as $775. See
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/ProductDetail.page?pid=2148

The price quoted for the Panasonic on DPReview is an MSRP at $799, about $24 more.

greypilgrim

Doug,

The $655 price for the AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED is a gray import street price. The US distributor price, at street discount offered by B&H, is $698. Nikon USA lists the MSRP as $775. See
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/ProductDetail.page?pid=2148

The price quoted for the Panasonic on DPReview is an MSRP at $799, about $24 more.
Again, point taken, although you really should compare the $698 to the Panny MSRP as that is what you can buy the Panny for, not for an equivalent discount. And buying grey import for a prime lens like that is more than find IMO which is why I listed that price. I wouldn't want to buy grey market for a more expensive lens because the downside becomes too great if it does fail.

Not really arguing here; it still is more than I would be willing to pay for a fun, mostly one trick pony even though there is a lot more to shooting with a fish eye than people often realize. To be fair, I never bought the Nikkor either (just borrowed it as needed). I had the chance to get a new one at $450 and like a nut case, passed it up.

It's all about tradeoffs as always, and that $800 nets another body and an IR conversion or the 45mm, or...

It just seems to me they have missed the target here. But I must assume they know the market for it better than I :)

Doug

V

Vivek

Doug, You mention a few items and in the same breath the 45mm macro. Isn't that a specialty lens?

The 8/3.5 with 0.1m close focus ability (1/5x magnification), to me, is more attractive than a fly by wire macro lens.

I can find plenty of macro lenses (more useful manual focus variety) for the m4/3rds but not a good wide angle lens or a fisheye.

Elsewhere, someone ran a poll and the overwhelming majority voted for a lower price.

If that happens, that is good.

hot

Hmmm, for a quarter of the price I love my (manual) Samyang 8mm/3.5 .. suited for all my Canons and Lumixes.
The remaining 3/4 money I'll spend for my next m4/3 GH2 :)

Godfrey

Again, point taken, although you really should compare the $698 to the Panny MSRP as that is what you can buy the Panny for, not for an equivalent discount. ...
Well, I don't think you can buy the Panasonic lens at all yet ... It's only just been announced! ;-)