The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5

V

Vivek

Hmmm, for a quarter of the price I love my (manual) Samyang 8mm/3.5 .. suited for all my Canons and Lumixes.
The remaining 3/4 money I'll spend for my next m4/3 GH2 :)
Hot, I saved even more by not buying the Sony P&S with the EXMOR-R sensor (I forgot what it is called). :angel:

BTW, how come the Samyang renders the scene flat in the pics you show while it is called a fisheye? :confused:

(I guess the adapter cost a bit extra?)

greypilgrim

Doug, You mention a few items and in the same breath the 45mm macro. Isn't that a specialty lens?

The 8/3.5 with 0.1m close focus ability (1/5x magnification), to me, is more attractive than a fly by wire macro lens.

I can find plenty of macro lenses (more useful manual focus variety) for the m4/3rds but not a good wide angle lens or a fisheye.

Elsewhere, someone ran a poll and the overwhelming majority voted for a lower price.

If that happens, that is good.
Hmm, perhaps, though in my defense, I view the combo of macro with portrait length shooting to be far less specialty than a fish eye. For me, the 45 would be a prime in the range that I happen to really like to shoot with the added benefit of being a macro lens.

I have yet to find a short tele prime that I have been satisfied with for m4/3, and I have been intrigued by the 45 as a possibility.

The close focus of the fish eye is a draw. I haven't checked how close the 7-14 close focus is.

I also have other combos that give me the close focus in the focal lengths I desire.

And of course, I am sure we are all surprised a poll came out in favor of a reduced price :)...

As always, it is individual priorities (which is what you are saying after all :))

I suspect what the real meaning of that poll is, "Rats, if it was a couple hundred fewer, I'd buy it, and I'd really enjoy it"

Doug

V

Vivek

I have yet to find a short tele prime that I have been satisfied with for m4/3,..
Doug,

From my own use:

Olympus Pen F 42/1.2, pen F 40/1.4, Fujinon-TV 50/1.4, a bunch of Leica lenses in this FL...endless list. I would pick any one of them for portrait use.

greypilgrim

Doug,

From my own use:

Olympus Pen F 42/1.2, pen F 40/1.4, Fujinon-TV 50/1.4, a bunch of Leica lenses in this FL...endless list. I would pick any one of them for portrait use.
Yah, but I haven't secured one of the Pen's yet, and the Leica's are $$$. Sure wouldn't mind one of the Pen's.

Plus it looks like I am saving for a G2 :).

Doug

B

BBSea

It's been in their lens roadmap for quite a while. With you, I'm not completely sure of the target.
Fisheye images are used by VR Photographers. I specialize primarily in VR Photography and this is exactly the lens I need to do my work :)