The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the G2

greypilgrim

Today I worked with the G2 and a MF lens (Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar) using a tripod. The articulating touch screen was a pleasure to use in this mode. Just tap the screen at the scene location where you want to focus and the magnified view pops up at that point. Focus manually, magnify further with the rear wheel if necessary, and then just touch the shutter release to return to full view. Sample image below.
So this gets rid of the multi step manual focusing of the G1...

Interesting.

Doug

V

Vivek

Yeah, I read that with interest!

Why can't Carl write those "reviews" for a certain review outfit? ;)

Y.B.Hudson III

t' G2 is more fun than a barrel of monKeys*

* conclusion drawn after 5 minutes of use with it and an Ultra fast MF Lens...:rolleyes:

* other things of interest... the kit lens focus is quiet and quick...unlike it's cousin, the 20mm 1.7...that still acts live a drunken sailor trying to pole dance...:ROTFL:

Last edited:

lmr

Terry... you have both... which is "more funner"? :)

Yikes! I am now thinking of getting the G2 to keep my G1 company...

Robert.

V

Vivek

t' G2 is more fun than a barrel of monKeys*

* conclusion drawn after 5 minutes of use with it and an Ultra fast MF Lens...:rolleyes:

* other things of interest... the kit lens focus is quiet and quick...unlike it's cousin, the 20mm 1.7...that still acts live a drunken sailor trying to pole dance...:ROTFL:
Hudson, Does the new baffle (lightwell) work better?

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... Vivek, The baffle is conical with the narrowest opening @ 26.25mm±; and the depth from the Hawk-2 c-mount adapter to the shutter housing is @ 8.5mm±...:)

Godfrey

I have Swedish Kronas here, they are OK, for now... But American movie enabled G2 cameras are probably Never Twice the Same Color models, right?
The only US version of the Lumix G cameras which does not have a VIDEO MODE output control setting allowing switching between PAL and NTSC is the G1. It's also the only Lumix G camera without video capture.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Never Twice the Same Color models, right?

Not sure this applies to HD in any way. What applies are the frame rates 25 vs. 29.97. I think in HD you can convert to both NTSC or PAL.

Jonas

The only US version of the Lumix G (...)
>Never Twice the Same Color models, right?

Not sure this applies (...)
Thank you, that's good to know.

I nearly bit. Then I checked the noise levels and compared to the G1. I'm not sure the touch screen (good) and the moved control dial (great) is that important after all. I'll have to think more about a G2 or not a G2. My guess is that I'll keep thinking until we know more about the GH2 - there's actually nothing wrong with my G1.

Jonas

V

Vivek

- there's actually nothing wrong with my G1.

Jonas
Heh! There is nothing wrong with my G1s either (except the one I killed)..

-especially after getting the Samsung NX10, I appreciate my G1s even more.:ROTFL:

Terry

Thank you, that's good to know.

I nearly bit. Then I checked the noise levels and compared to the G1. I'm not sure the touch screen (good) and the moved control dial (great) is that important after all. I'll have to think more about a G2 or not a G2. My guess is that I'll keep thinking until we know more about the GH2 - there's actually nothing wrong with my G1.

Jonas
Nothing wrong with my G1 either however I have really good pricing from Panasonic that made the trade from the G1 to G2 relatively painless at $150....after keeping the original kit lens and selling off the new kit lens.

V

Vivek

Terry, Any reasons why you like the original kit zoom (other than the metal lens mount and perhaps overall better construction)over the new kit zoom?

Terry

No,
I actually haven't even unwrapped the new one. I know my original is fine (even if I don't use it a ton) and so I'm happy keeping it rather than starting over with a new lens.

Y.B.Hudson III

this is c00L... for the times when your point of focus is different than your exposure sampling point...in MF /spot meter/touch exposure... you touch the area you want correctly exposed...Click...awesome.

The eLves at p@nnasonic were staying up late when they designed this one ...* :thumbs:

* though it would be wasted on bookcases :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hudosn, Thanks for your findings.:) It looks like they are trying to push the advantages of what a mirrorless cam can offer. Good.:)

One other question, with spot metering, does the pop up flashes/exposes reasonably consistently while using manual focus lenses (within the limits of the pop up's strength)?

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh.. spot metering with pop-up flash... it works... expose for the subject, and control the background illumination with the aperture...:lecture:

Jonas

Yehh... Vivek, The baffle is conical with the narrowest opening @ 26.25mm±; and the depth from the Hawk-2 c-mount adapter to the shutter housing is @ 8.5mm±...:)
To me this sounds as the G2 allows us to use some lenses the G1 did not. (That is without measuring the G1). Is that correct?

Jonas