The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waiting for the Storm

seakayaker

Nice shot!

. . . . . if you want to get some more practice taking pictures of rain clouds . . . .

. . . . . take a trip up to Seattle, we are specializing in them this spring!:):):)

Waiting for the ferry to dock . . . .

GF1 with Ernst Leitz Wetziar - Hector 135mm f/4.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/4.5 -- 1/400 -- 135mm

BTW - thats not dust on the lens . . . . . rain drops . . . . .

. . . . . and the deck hand is happy about the rain . . . . . or perhaps something else!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

JGH

Hi all,
I like the rain drops in the last image. Its given me an idea, im just waiting for it to rain now. :)
I got one, its a crop, and i didn't have to wait long for the storm...

Thanks J :thumbup:

JGH

Evening,
We had a storm here yesterday night. I shot this handheld 1600 ISO 1/5sec.
Wish the lightning was in the centre though. Oh well next time...

Thanks J.

V

veloman

Stop crowing and hang on to your shorts,here it comes!!!

Arwyn

JGH

Hi All,
This cloud looked promising but then just broke up and drifted away.
It looked nice though..

ISO 100 1/500th F8 35mm

Thanks J

seakayaker

Before the Hail & Rain

GF1 with Voigtlander Color Skopar 25mm f/4 -- ISO 400 -- f5.6 -- 1/160

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

JGH

Thanks Keith for your comments.
We had quite a nice storm over Ostrava airport today, it didn't last long but the clouds looked mighty dark.
I tried to capture the weight and darkness but feel i didn't quite pull it off though. I took 3 pics which totalled the whole storm, just didn't do it so i could make a panorama.

Here is the LH section. ISO-100 1/400th F8 @ 14mm

Thanks J

JGH

Hi All,
Went to the mountains this weekend and im so glad i went.
I finally got some semi-decent pictures of lightning. I have wanted to capture lightning for ages but have always missed it or not had the camera correctly configured.
The storm developed with a huge anvil shaped cloud which just turned nasty later in the evening and produced some spectacular lightning.
I was outside to start but was really nervous about being out with all that lightning, plus the storm had moved and it started to rain so i went inside.(alot dryer and i felt much safer :))
My E520 takes ages to process a 60 second exposure and i missed so many fabulous strikes whilst waiting for the camera to ready itself, but i got a few and im extremly happy with them.
Roll on the next storm. Hope you like them.

ISO-100 1/250th F6.3 48mm (-0.7EV)

ISO-200 60 seconds F8 14mm

Thanks J :grin:

JGH

Hi All,
Its been ages since i have had an oppotunity to try and capture some lightning and this evening there was a slight possability so i gave it a go.
Now this was at iso 200, F5.6 for 20 seconds. 20 seconds was the longest shutter speed i could obtain due to the street lights contaminating the scene.
I tried iso 100 and adjusting to compensate but it just didnt work for some reason. Ideally i wanted to be at F8 as that is optimal for lighning but this was in a cloud so again i had to adjust. It turned out ok, wish the lightning had been a bit more aggresive as its a bit small in this image.
Oh well... :)

J :salute:

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Here are a couple from the midwest. That's the one great thing that we have!

"Electrical Storm"

"Storm Moving Thru The Plains"