The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The World Cup Thread

DonParrot

Hi folks, just starting my thread 'time for the kick-off' under a new name.

Would love to see a lot of World-Cup related pictures here, in the coming four weeks.

Cheers and have fun!

DonParrot

Thanks Michiel!

Right so - I'm delighted about your pictures - and would love to see more of this stuff in this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

And in four weeks time we're friends again, right? *smiles*

DonParrot

The fever is rising!

Since Podolski scored our 1:0 against Australia, even our Bearcoat Shar Pei John Patrick McEnroe has caught the World Cup fever. And while he even is drinking our World Cup beer, I have to take a seat in the second row.

Life can be so hard!

bensonga

Great to see some photos....surely there must be more? :)

Could anyone point me to a website with an explanation of how the World Cup tournament scoring/advancement works? I'm confused about what happens when there is a tie game and how teams advance or are eliminated in such cases. I've searched the web, but haven't found that "World Cup for Dummies" site yet. Thanks!

Gary

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm confused about what happens when there is a tie game and how teams advance or are eliminated in such cases.

Let me start:

1. Group phase

- 8 groups at 4 teams
- In the group they play against eachother
- The top 2 in the group (50%) advance to the elimination phase
- A win give 3 points, tie 1 point and loss 0
- Point count first
- then the goal diff
- then ...

2. Eliminations phase

- Who wins in 90 minutes continues
- Tie after 90 minutes requires 2x 15min over time
- If still a tie there is a penalty kickout

Hope it helps a bit.

bensonga

Thanks for that very helpful explanation Uwe! Now I'll be able to figure out what's going on and not feel like a complete idiot when talking with my co-workers (BP....that's right BRITISH Petroleum)...lots of UK soccer fans, even up here in Alaska.

Gary

DonParrot

Lovely shot!
And right you are.
But as it seems as if 'The hand of God' wins against Mexico *f*ck*, I think our way will be over in the next round.

V

Vivek

Argentina are without any question the least boring team in this world cup. :D