The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The World Cup Thread

DonParrot

Having just watched the match against Mexico I definetely disagree. And now I think that they won't stop us. Completely uninspired and boring - that's absolutely no title material.

Michiel Schierbeek

Oké Germany, now it's your turn to deal with the South Americans. :deadhorse:

Two sculptures on the Rijksmuseum being restored at the moment.

Michiel

- Orange workers -

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Two sculptures on the Rijksmuseum being restored at the moment.

Lived 6 months in Utrecht but never explored Amsterdam enough.

A final Germany vs. Holland could be fun (and tough) but Spain is always to count on.

DonParrot

Up to yesterday I would have agreed - although Spain never did shine in a World Cup - but following the disastrously poor performance against Paraguay I'm now convinced that the Netherlands have got the tougher semi-finals opponeent than our guys. Had the South Americans been 10 centimetres taller, Spain would have lost the match clearly. Their way most definitely will end on Wednesday.

Michiel Schierbeek

Certainly Germany is playing the most sparkling football in this tournement.
But the Dutch have (hopefully) learned that playing the most attractive football is no quarentee for becoming the champion.

Michiel

DonParrot

But - as our 1972 European Championship team demonstrated then, the Dutch in 1988 and the Brazilians often before and afterwards in World Cups - you can do it both. So let's wait and see. Just another week to go.

P

Paul Kalich

The Spain vs Paraguay game was interesting and how often do you see a goal that bounces off both side poles before going in?

DonParrot

Right. I can't contradict regarding the goal. Regarding the match...

But as the referee let the Spaniards repeat their penalty, he most definitely should have done the same one minute earlier on the other side as their were fivee players in the box before Praguay's player kicked the ball. And who knows if he hadn't scored in the second effort - and I doubt that Spain would have been able to strike back had Paraguay taken the lead.

Anyway - as I see it, Spain's way will end in the semi finals and the same applies to Urugay as they will have to eplace their entire defence.

And so we will witness a thrilling final next Sunday were everything can happen.
On the other hand, anything can happen in football and so, even a final Uruguay vs Spain isn't totally impossible.
Aaah - I love this sport and the thrills it gives me.

Michiel Schierbeek

Still not convinced about the playing, but it works. :)

Here are 2 photo's from before the match this afternoon.
Left the passing supporter and right the man doing his job in the regular outfit.

G1 + Jupiter-9 85/2

DonParrot

Yes it works - but the stunninge moments of the past are history, aren't they? A pity. Anyway, congratulations on your win.

And: I thought we Germans currently are football crazy but yesterday, friends of mine returned from their holidays in your home country - with loads of pictures. And I have to admit: against what is going on in the Netherlands, it seems as if the World Cup doesn't bother us at all. Your entire country seems to have gone orange. It's so... I lack the words, but I love it. It just fantastic.

If I had the time, I'd definitely make a photo trip to the Netherlands before Sunday. Awesome!!!

Michiel Schierbeek

Very sorry, Don Parrot, but Spain is a tough and very experienced team.
Their combination football is remarkable.
But you see, beauty ain't not all you need.
We want results now, with or without beauty.

Can't wait for the outcome. It will be tough.
People with houseboats in te canals of Amsteram are very frightened to suffer a loss and hope to loose. :scry:

Michiel

DonParrot

What a pity! They played such a poor tournament and just against us they prove that they still have got what made them the best team in the world in the past three years.

Anyway - now I'm crossing my fingers for Oranje. Despite the fears of the guys with their houseboats.