The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MJPEG high bit rate footage with GH1

gmoe

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share this valuable info. for those who own GH1s.

There's a great thread that shows some pretty amazing images using a firmware created by tester13 on DVXUser forum.

Here is the thread by Michael Pappas.

I find this interesting especially for still photo use. The image quality is quite amazing and I may try this approach for still pics. It basically shows that when tweaked the GH1 is a very capable camera for pictures and film.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=212609

Rawfa

I´ve been following this thread for sometime now and it is REALLY amazing to see the efforts these guys are putting into this and the results they´re getting. Awesome for video people!

davemillier

Works on the GF1 too. I just downloaded firmware GF1__V13 from Panny, patched it with Ptools 3.36 to record mpegs at 32Mbit/sec.

Camera still works, no idea yet whether the patch makes any difference!

Rawfa

Really? I had no idea. I didn't check anything regarding the GF1. Does it grant you full manual control over video? Does it give you variable framerates? All of the sudden the GF1 could be a very interesting option for me.

kds315

The only downside is that after the (hacked-) update no Pansonic update to the next official version will be possible anymore. A known issue ...

gmoe

I'd say with what tester13 is doing, it's worth it. Already this camera is like new.

Some of the quality that people have been getting is just jaw dropping.

I know this is video but I'd take stills off the MJPEG's anyday if we can get this good.

50Mbit MJPEG 1080p shot by Andrew Reid

http://vimeo.com/12472000

MRfanny

The only downside is that after the (hacked-) update no Pansonic update to the next official version will be possible anymore. A known issue ...
Maybe I'm just a bitter video guy but pana hasn't offered any valuable updates in their firmware anyways, especially for video. A fix in FPN/banding would be nice but that is something that doesnt seem to be a priority, just lens stuff. I am still running v1.2 because there was nothing worth updating for me in v1.32. It is possible to update if they release a version higher than 1.3 say 1.4, it just has to be higher than the version that is on the camera at present. Pana would have to completely change everything and with that said it will be only time again until it gets reversed engineered because we are all now exposed to its proven potentials.

I would like to think that this hack would eventually branch out to improving the stills side of the camera once they have run out of things to improve on video=)

davemillier

Can't you just put newer Pany firmware through the hack process as well to generate an even higher number?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Sounds great. I will give it a shot when it seems not to break up some clips at 50Mbit MJPEG. In many aspects the GH1 is better than the Canon's on video (not the Codec though).

gmoe

Yup, it seems that if you want to try the hacked firmware you can now go back to the original one.

Let's hope Vitaliy Kiselev "Tester 13" can get stills improved. That would be amazing! Already this camera can now do 4:2:2 color sampling. It's astonishing what this camera was capable of and was prevented from showing until someone tinkered with it.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=213692