The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1. Bought-sold-bought again (over 2 weeks)

RichA

If you've been following the lens talk out there, you'll see why I did it. The G-bodies are likely going to be made in China. By some accounts, not only is the 14-42mm lens not as good as the current 14-45mm lens, but it has been cheapened and lightened by Panasonic. So I figured, why should I pay Panasonic as much for a lesser lens, made in a country where people earn 10x less? Where is the huge discount we should see? I liked the G1, I can't see anything in micro 4/3rds that combines it's versatility and price (I got it new for $499) so I'll wait and see what comes next.

V

Vivek

The current list prices here are <50% of the original introductory prices.

Without any real competition (Samsung/Sony, etc), Pana are sitting pretty.

G3 might be the same old cam with voice activation controls.

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh...G2, same sensor issues (as t' G1), but is one sweet camera camera to use for MFLs...:)*

* and mothers Like the video feature, it can shoot vids in bright sun @ f/1.0* and that's a hoot...:rolleyes:

* I have no idea how or why it works, though.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

The G-bodies are likely going to be made in China.
Why are people still worrying about things made in China. It is the factory of the world.
You name it and they make it. If you don't want to use stuff made in China you can throw away 70% of the stuff, tools, hardware, phones etc,etc.., you use every day.
They made a lot of low rate quality products, but on the other hand, in the case of electronics they last long enough to keep on track with the ever proceeding new electronic developments.
The rate of quality is mostly a matter of a company's policy.
The time they couldn't make quality is passé.

Michiel

Diane B

There was also a time when Japan was in exactly the same position as China with goods from there considered inferior and cheaply made.

Charles2

There was also a time when Japan was in exactly the same position as China with goods from there considered inferior and cheaply made.
Yes, in the 1950s people laughed at little toys from Japan. Then the country developed a leading industrial-technological complex. Many observers of China, however, do not see comparable buds of innovation there. Nothing ethnic in this, of course. It seems that the era of one industrializing country emerging to take a place next to or ahead of the earlier industrialized countries is over.

RichA

Why are people still worrying about things made in China. It is the factory of the world.
You name it and they make it. If you don't want to use stuff made in China you can throw away 70% of the stuff, tools, hardware, phones etc,etc.., you use every day.
They made a lot of low rate quality products, but on the other hand, in the case of electronics they last long enough to keep on track with the ever proceeding new electronic developments.
The rate of quality is mostly a matter of a company's policy.
The time they couldn't make quality is passé.

Michiel
But that's just it. The Chinese lens is apparently, not as good. Lacking any concrete tests to prove otherwise, err on the side of caution. Why would I buy it if I can avoid it? I predict that the 14-45mm will be attractive now it's discontinued and lots of u4/3rds bodies will be on Ebay, stripped of the lens.

Michiel Schierbeek

But that's just it. The Chinese lens is apparently, not as good. Lacking any concrete tests to prove otherwise, err on the side of caution. Why would I buy it if I can avoid it? I predict that the 14-45mm will be attractive now it's discontinued and lots of u4/3rds bodies will be on Ebay, stripped of the lens.
Rich, I wouldn't buy it either, I have the old one :)
The thing I mean, it is not because the Chinese can't do it but it's Panasonic who wants to go fast, cheap and light. Company's policy as far as I am concerned.

Michiel

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... I don't use those lenses, but seem to collect them when buying the bodies for my MFLs. The panny 14-42 is quiet (like silent) a great asset for video, focuses rapidly, and aesthetically really doesn't get in your way. The Olympus 14-42 is noisy (as in not silent), wobbles like my '52 Willies pick-up truck, and optically has issues. I have a G1 that was built on a monday morning in Japan... :)

RichA

Rich, I wouldn't buy it either, I have the old one :)
The thing I mean, it is not because the Chinese can't do it but it's Panasonic who wants to go fast, cheap and light. Company's policy as far as I am concerned.

Michiel
Seems like that was NASA's motto just before the last Shuttle broke up. But given the Olympus lens's weight (nothing) I can understand their reasoning, but the Olympus lens feels completely insubstantial.

Pat Donnelly

I understand how you feel, changes all around and we know that "progress" often means plastic and design compromises.

I also subscribe to a site that despises lenses that purport to focus for one, automatically. But as a 4/3 and micro4/3 user, I am no luddite.

Some Chinese factories are better than others and some CCCP lenses esp Mon am, are not as good as others!

Is it possible to discern quality differences so soon? I find it takes a few years?

Pat Donnelly

Buying modern lenses, only when they are cheap, is one strategy.

Probably the only one! Kit lenses are so cheap, they should be retained. Remember 50mm 1.8 lenses? So called standard lenses are the best value still.